Cool art deco bottle found at family camp dump and the biggest square nail I've found

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a quick surface check on my family's land. There is an old farm dump and remnants of old structures etc. I've explained and shown in other posts. I recently got a good ribbing for rambling, I'll keep it to the details lol. I was scraping the surface, we've had lots of rain recently, lots, and every thing is all cleared etc. The dump is also along a stream, so I had to check the banks etc. Within 5 mins I scraped the dirt about 1" deep and felt the unmistakable feeling of glass. I cleaned it off by hand, and could only see the screw top. No big deal, and I figured it was broken anyway. So I just yanked it out of the ground. Out came this awesome, (definition of) Art Deco design, big glass bottle! It reminds me a little of the empire state building. It has 3 deep grooves running top to bottom all the way around and a cut crystal look at the bottom 4 corners, I hope it translates well in the pics. On the bottom was a patent number, searched it and found it was patented in 1936. Patent drawing, description and everything. My only question now, was this a generic bottle made for sale to anybody? A specialty bottle made for a specific product? Medicine bottle etc? I'd love to know more. The bottle is so unique, I'd think a product could be identified. Any clues or answers are welcome! It is made by the Brockway glass co (B inside circle mark) and the patent on the bottle is US. PAT 98969. The bottle is 9" tall, 2.75" wide and 1.5" thick.The only other mark is an "8" which I guess is either mold, or plant number? Before I even popped the bottle, I pulled this almost foot long square spike. It is heavy duty and still solid for being buried so long! We have found lots of wagon pieces with long bolts through wood etc, but not foot long square (nails?) Any ideas of what this beast was meant for, unless it's just a huge nail of course, would also be appreciated! Not the coolest finds ever, but a fun little 15 minute hunt anyway. Any info and replies are welcome, this community is great! Thanks in advance for any info. Happy and safe hunting everybody! 20200213_004643.jpg 20200213_004706.jpg 20200213_004929.jpg 20200213_005140.jpg 20200213_005202.jpg 20200213_005237.jpg 20200213_005308.jpg 20200213_004524.jpg 20200213_003043.jpg 20200213_004442.jpg 20200213_004547.jpg 20200213_004612.jpg Screenshot_20200212-222700_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200212-222720_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 11

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nice looking bottle you found. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really digging it! It cleaned up beautiful and I barely rinsed it! Thanks for the support ya'll!

Radon

Oct 4, 2006
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Nox 800
If that's just the details, then how long is it when you're rambling?:tongue3: That bottle is beautiful!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it DCMatt! I appreciate it! I believe this was just a "pretty" generic type bottle that was made and sold to all different kinds of companies to bottle their own product. Pretty cool though and you gotta love the design. Could have been anything from the lemon stuff you posted, bitters of some kind, almost anything someone would want to out in this beautiful bottle. I cant thank you enough for finding a pic of the bottle with a label on it though, I've been searching hard... must have missed something I guess Haha. Thanks for that pic and thanks for the support! I'm heading back today (Friday) to do some more looking and bringing a proper shovel and my sifting box. The rain stopped Thursday morning and it should be all washed out again. I'll be sure to post any more finds. Hell, I should probably post pics of the PILES of other old items we have found over the years. Literally most of an old wagon, remnants of a full blacksmith/farrier shop, 1890's bicycle seat, bottles and jars dating back to the 1880s up to the 1970s lol, an old RFD marked lock for a mailbox. Not to mention lots of OLD trash and interesting items noone has identified yet. Im pretty sure a old building stood here at one point and was torn down (judging by all the square nails we've found) or was just an old dump. It was all buried under 10' of logs and weeds etc before we cleaned it out and made it our family camp. It's a beautiful spot and the ground is FULL of cool old stuff lol. Theres also a beautiful creek and a huge fire pit. Great place for a long hunt! We haven't even dug deeper than a foot or more in the area and have never hit the bottom of the trash. Deeper you go, more glass and iron etc.I think it's a very promising spot and it's on private family property. I should make a YouTube video! We plan to slowly dig out as much as we can, we dont want to mess up our camp, but we like to get the trash(and good stuff) out of the ground/water.Thanks again everybody! Any more pics of this bottle sporting a label are much appreciated! The one pic is good enough for me though lol. Get out there guys... weather permitting of course lol!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definatley a nice find that will be a nice display bottle. Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread