Valentine's Day Heart Button, Cut Spanish Silver & More!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a little road trip yesterday with a buddy to hunt a tavern site we had researched. It was obvious that the site had to have been hit before due to all the broken ceramics in every hole and very few buttons or coins, but it was nice to get on some good old 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century dirt for the first time this year. I didn’t get a lot of quantity, but I got two good buttons and my first Spanish silver of the year, which keeps my streak of at least one Spanish silver a year alive at (9) years in a row now.
Buttons and Spanish Dirty.jpg

Here are the buttons. I had never found a heart button before in 30+ years and I've found two already this year
Buttons2.jpg Button backs.jpg

Whoever hunted this place before must have took all the coppers and left all the spoon parts :laughing7:
Spoons.jpg

Here are my keepers including an out of place V nickel
All.jpg

And here is a sampling of the kind of ceramics you will find on a late 18th - early 19h century site in Pennsylvania or Maryland.
Pottery2.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Valentine's Day Heart Button, Cut Spanish Silver & More!

Now we are talkin there Stevie boy!Mind kind of site..Love those buttons i prefer buttons and buckles over coins in some cases. We never find cut silver here in New England i find that strange? Must be an explanation for that??

~Blaze~

Blaze, it was explained to me that we had enough copper for those small transactions up here in the NorthEast to avoid cutting silver. Not so much in PA, VA, etc...

Steverino, beauty find. I haven’t seen a heart button like that before. Keep it coming bud!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blaze, it was explained to me that we had enough copper for those small transactions up here in the NorthEast to avoid cutting silver. Not so much in PA, VA, etc...

Steverino, beauty find. I haven’t seen a heart button like that before. Keep it coming bud!
Steve we had plenty of coppers in SW PA - see my copper posts in the Best Finds forum. But what we also had in SW PA that they didn't have in eastern PA, NJ, New England, etc was lots of Virginians. They came here for military campaigns and for land as Virginia and and Pennsylvania each claimed the Pittsburgh area until after the Rev War. I believe Virginians brought a lot of the cut pieces I find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread