Beach find / kids asking what it is!

Mrsh123

Greenie
Feb 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,thanks for adding me.

The kids found this on the beach in the northwest of the uk after an awful storm and are asking what it is. Can anyone help as one minute it looks volcanic on the picture then I see another and wonder if it’s from the sky.

Any help and I’d be really pleased.

4119F9A4-FC92-4C75-9C9E-1C7221A403E4.jpeg
41134A7B-F2DE-4343-ABE9-794C4F3F4885.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 8

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and welcome.
Does a magnet stick to it?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.

You will get volcanic rocks on the NW coast, washed down from the Scottish Isles and also across from Ireland, but I don't think that's what it is.

It's glassy enough to be obsidian (volcanic glass), but obsidian never has vesicles (bubbles) like that. It's too glassy to be the kind of volcanic rock which can have vesicles, such as basalts and scorias.

I think, on balance, it's more likely to be slag glass (an industrial waste product) that was dumped at sea. It often has many vesicles and black is the most common colour.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool find be cool to hold onto

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find, I do not believe that the object came from space. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
M

Mrsh123

Greenie
Feb 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These replies are really appreciated, thanks very much. The first thing my seven year old asked when he ran out of school was, ‘does anyone know what it is yet’. He really is like a beach womble ��

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet!
A friend, has a very similar looking piece, of slag glass.
Green and looks more like your top pic (not the bottom one with the holeys)
Idk any way to tell slag glass from obsidian.... :dontknow:
Cool find & good luck in ya'll's future hunts!

Oh, I'll add... the only way I could think it could be from the sky,
is if it could be Moldavite. Which, may/may not be from sky, but
reaction from asteroid/space debris, hitting the earth with high heat.
Just a thought....

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The certain way to tell the difference between slag glass and obsidian is that obsidian never has large bubbles. If present at all, they’re infrequent, tiny and sometimes in short trails.. not copious, large, or randomly distributed.

Moldavite is a glassy tektite – effectively molten earthly silica arising from a meteorite impacting on earth and sending that molten material high up into the atmosphere before it descended again in droplets. Moldavite may be very dark in colour but, even at its darkest is discernibly green, like this (my collection) and an extremely unlikely find that far west of the impact site, which was Nordlingen in Germany.

Moldavite.JPG

Other tektites can be black and some of them may have got as far as orbital altitude to the extent that they could be loosely regarded as ‘from space’, but the UK is a long way from any known location where they could be found… even if transported by sea. This one (my collection) is from the Indo-Chinite strewnfield and was found in Thailand.

Indochinite Tektite.JPG

I can imagine your son's disappointment if all he has is slag glass. If you don't mind sending me your actual address by private message (obviously, don't post it here on the forum) I will put a tektite specimen in the post to you with my compliments and he can then make a comparison (as well as having something cool that he knows is 'outer-space related).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like melted aluminum - if someone had a fire on the beach and beach was pebble covered - a melted can - pebbles could have made those dimples

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I can imagine your son's disappointment if all he has is slag glass. If you don't mind sending me your actual address by private message (obviously, don't post it here on the forum) I will put a tektite specimen in the post to you with my compliments and he can then make a comparison (as well as having something cool that he knows is 'outer-space related).

This might not fit into the honourable mention category but this is beyond an honourable offer to this guy and his kid. You are a credit sir.

OP
OP
M

Mrsh123

Greenie
Feb 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red-coat,
What an amazingly generous offer! He will be delighted when I tell him tomorrow. Thanks so much. I’ll work out how to send the address shortly.
Also thanks for the detailed explanation and pictures. This forum is a minefield and everyone is so friendly.

He’s not too disappointed, he just likes thorough explanations of what he finds leading to me googling what I don’t know but this one stumped me!

Thanks again

OP
OP
M

Mrsh123

Greenie
Feb 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.

You will get volcanic rocks on the NW coast, washed down from the Scottish Isles and also across from Ireland, but I don't think that's what it is.

It's glassy enough to be obsidian (volcanic glass), but obsidian never has vesicles (bubbles) like that. It's too glassy to be the kind of volcanic rock which can have vesicles, such as basalts and scorias.

I think, on balance, it's more likely to be slag glass (an industrial waste product) that was dumped at sea. It often has many vesicles and black is the most common colour.

I can’t wait to get back out with them - wonder what else we’ll find. Thanks for replying

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
These replies are really appreciated, thanks very much. The first thing my seven year old asked when he ran out of school was, ‘does anyone know what it is yet’. He really is like a beach womble ��

I don't know what a wombie is but I feel safe in saying your son would LOVE to have a metal detector to wombie around the beach with!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread