๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658415.587530.jpg
I get a little bit of poison ivy every year diggin in the old woods, but usually just the size of a dime. This one started tiny about 2 weeks ago, grew to a 2โ€x2โ€ field of blisters, went dormant for a week, then quadrupled overnight. I marked the edges with Sharpie a couple days ago to see if it is still growing. Donโ€™t know, but there is a chance my hand will just fall off like a zombie while digging this weekend...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658794.781954.jpg
Made it back to the spot deep in the woods where I found a DB, but could not find a typical homesite, so just pounded the little area and found 5 more buttons. The silver concave is sort of cool.

Found another site nearby at this park, not as old.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658911.324519.jpg
Best find was this CW general staff cuff button.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658944.659914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582658952.427613.jpg
Weird ring in the shank, Steve thought this was how they secured spare buttons.
The crusty token is interesting. (Pic from web, but mine has Martin Van Buren info on the other side)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582659029.699355.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1582659043.033798.jpg
I have 3 kids and I doubt they log 2 miles in a day in reality, but maybe 7.5 miles virtually...

Good luck out there ... and watch out for those roots!

Upvote 25

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds... except for the poison ivy! I get it every year and it's no fun.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
PA-dirt, nc-sand: a simple cure for poisong oak/ivy/sumac: cut any fresh mushroom and rub on the affected area. Mushroom will absorb the toxin and destroy them. You can even eat the mushroom afterwards. That's how the Chinese were able to make lacquerware.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst case of poison ivy I ever got was from digging in roots before the leaves came out. It was the first time and last I ever went to this little school house site. You might also want to wash your gloves.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had poison ivy so bad it was all over me and I mean every where

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Good luck with the ivy.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PA-dirt, nc-sand: a simple cure for poisong oak/ivy/sumac: cut any fresh mushroom and rub on the affected area. Mushroom will absorb the toxin and destroy them. You can even eat the mushroom afterwards. That's how the Chinese were able to make lacquerware.

Where were you and your recommendation when I had my bout with poison oak? :BangHead: I didn't realize the roots were a source either until after I got hit and did some research. I knew enough to avoid the plant's leaves, but, the roots didn't occur to me. Your gloves, shoes, and clothing can reinfect you also until you thoroughly wash them. They make a special body wash that's supposed to keep it from spreading and help ease the itch, but, it's expensive......like almost $40 for a tiny tube good for only a handful of applications. If mushrooms will get the job done, that will be a lot cheaper for sure. :icon_thumleft:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I found one of those Red Goose Shoes tokens several years ago in an old picnic grove here in northeastern Oregon. Yours is in much better shape than mine is!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awful stuff, poison ivy. You have my deepest sympathies. When I get it, I get it bad. Great finds, by the way.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to WalMart and buy a product called Tec-Nu. It is a special soap that removes the poison oil from your skin. Several applications needed for a big exposure. I've used this stuff and swear by it. Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds !

I also found the same type of Red Goose Shoes token here in Ohio a few years ago.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caught some amazing poison Ivy back in Jan. I was doing some bottle digging and was on my knees in the cut roots / dirt. It went right through my pants! Great finds! I found a button with that extra thing on the shank awhile back. I put it in the "what is it" section and no solid answers came through... we surmised that it was some kind of button keeper as well. Like for extra tough conditions maybe it was to prevent the button from being torn off? My button was from the late 1800's to early 1900's it was for life saving services which certainly involved tough conditions. That shoe thing... ha that was probably back when people walked up hill both ways to school! Thanks for sharing the great stuff!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31โ€ Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice old spot you have there , great finds as well!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thad, here is the button I dug in Montana with the ring on the shank.
Front.jpg Back.jpg

This got me curious as to the purpose of the slip ring, so I posted it on the American Military Buttons Facebook group and here are some of the responses:

"There were a few reasons for the rings. I've seen them attached this way on period headgear as well as a period vest lined with Mississippi "I's" all attached via individual ringlets. I've also seen rings like this dug sporting multiple buttons. Many uses, but the main purpose was to eliminate sewing and allowing buttons to be removed (cleaning) or exchanged out"

"To properly clean a uniform you needed to remove the buttons first then sew them back on afterwards. On Coles Island SC my digging buddy and I found 28 navel buttons (cuff and tunic/vest size) in a 3' area. All had rings in them"

"Called bachelor rings. They were used instead of sewing the buttons on.
I dug several eagle C coat buttons with bachelor rings in an 1863 camp. I've also dug several vests and cuffs with them, in different areas, over the years"

Last edited:

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CF316F65-950E-42AE-8C6D-FB1B6BFFA7AD.jpeg 4EBF5AC7-D3C1-4663-BBA9-3EDBA32AF415.jpeg 524EBE2B-0D80-4A62-9C0A-C51C154E7EC5.jpg I get the same thing same area do you wear cut resistant gloves ? I keep getting it has clear blisters and itches like crazy I have narrowed it down and believe itโ€™s a allergic reaction or irritation from the glove . Try washing the glove in dawn dish soap and when u use the gloves try tucking your shirt under it so it doesnโ€™t rub on your wrist Iโ€™ve been to doctor like 8 times doctors always think itโ€™s poison something but I think itโ€™s the gloves always starts on wrist area this may have been poison something but I was getting it too often and keep getting it always starts near my wrist try different gloves or tuck your shirt under and see if it helps

Last edited:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for your luck Thad,I can roll around poison ivy all day and nothing!! Some people are like that.Love that ringed staff :icon_thumleft:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa-Nc. Wash it lightly with Dawn dish soap and water. Dawn is the only thing that will cut thru the Poison Ivy oil. I have used this trick for years, and it works. It will cut the blistering and itching time in half. Wash it a few times a day, but remember to do it lightly, do not scrub.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx everyone for the tips. Iโ€™ll try some of these remedies next time I get poison ivy. I washed my coat and gloves and my Clorox bleach spray finally stopped the spread.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the poison ivy, but Congrats for all those great finds!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find looks like it was worth it I haven't got poison Ivey yet Knock on wood oops I think I knocked to hard cause my head hurts lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread