Wednesday and Saturday finds

db

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2004
Maryland
It has been hard to find the time to MD, but I got out last Wednesday afternoon (neighbor's house c. 1955), and Saturday afternoon (friend's house c. 1910):

My first silver and my first mercury dimes by the way. I just threw my clad finds in my change drawer, this is just the good stuff. The pennies from my friend's house are extremely corroded, whereas the one's from my neighbor's yard look pretty good. Rack that up to the amount of fertilizer over the years?

Most everything was found at 3-4" deep, 5" at most. The clad stuff (no photo) was found between surface and 3". I have a DFX, so I didn't dig too much junk. The whole family sat out on the porch on Saturday - I only had 2 hours, but we chatted while I dug a coin every couple feet in a tiny front yard. I need to go back and take care of the rest of the yard, plus the mansion next door which is as old or older (rich people didn't look as hard when they lost their change, right?).

I have a DFX and use a vibraprobe, I'm still a newbie and mostly use the default Coin program although I've loaded DSM. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting the depth that I should but every time I use the DSM or really stretch the settings I lose stability. I suppose if you use the deeper programs you have to ground balance often.

I've been lurking here too long, waiting until I could get out and get something worth posting.

Cheers,
DB

Attachments

• neighbors_house.jpg
    neighbors_house.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 340
  • friends_house1.jpg
    friends_house1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 334
  • friends_house2.jpg
    friends_house2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

Keep us posted with all the mansion finds too!

HH

Lonewolfe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's always Nice to see Silver :)

Congrats

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Nice collection of coinage there db. I am jealous too. ;D Keep up the great detecting your huntin like an old pro.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Congrats on your first!!! Looks like your off to a great start...
Privite yards can be very, very trashy... I don't know your paticular detector, but all that trash could have an affect on the stability...
You might try to find a spot out in the open and see if it still acts the same...
Good Luck & Happy Hunting!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, DB. :o You're off to a great start.

Haupin

By the way, you have the detector of my dreams. I'm trying to be patient and just use my White's Prizm IV for a while.

OP
OP
db

db

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2004
Maryland
Thanks for the comments and esp. the hint on running my rig hot, went out for about 1.5 hours on Sunday and found 25 coins, all clad/memorial except 4 wheaties. Nothing worth posting, really. Weird though that of 4 sites hunted this year, all produced at least one 1946 penny. My own yard produced several. Suppose I should find older sites ;-) Also, since I had all those tremendously corroded wheat pennies from my friend's yard, I brass brushed them and then rubbed candle wax into the porous surfaces with my fingers. It brought the features back! Any other ways to bring coin features out?

DB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread