Oct 28, 2018
Pittsfield, Ma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not posted in a while, frankly I have had nothing great to post, until today. When out with Cheffer today for three hours and found this 18 K gold pocket watch. Could not believe it when it came out of the ground. Looked it up it’s from around mid 1800. Thanks for your spot Cheffer.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583188932.026732.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583188958.278687.jpg

Upvote 86

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im Sure the movement is toast but pictures would be appreciated? Gold watches are rare then there are Hens teeth which this one is. A Vacheron! One of the highest end pocket watches of the day and dropped by a wealthy person for sure. If the case is restorable it still has value beyond the gold weight Banner all day

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a seriously nice find! Must have been a tough day to lose that one! How does the inside look? Congrats!

OP
OP
A

Acojoe

Oct 28, 2018
Pittsfield, Ma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the inside is all toasted and corroded in the covers of all falling off the hinges rusted out

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the inside is all toasted and corroded in the covers of all falling off the hinges rusted out
The pins on the covers can be replaced. This is a good money case! I notice the bow is missing. Id go back to the spot and deep search for it. Probably how he lost it

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the amazing find! That's a nice looking display piece. Get back out there!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18k very nice. Enjoy seeing that beautiful hand engraving inside it. Congratulations !

(The precious metal rose as much as 3.7 percent to $1,650.50 an ounce today....)

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome find! I have found 2 partial pocket watch cases this winter, and Three main internal plates, plus a BUNCH of the misc, gears and stuff. Both partial cases of mine have been silver plated brass! What a find! Congratulations!!

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love finding pocket watches. Granted I've only found 2 of them but to find one in gold? That's very nice indeed. Congrats.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So glad to see my glove (and Joe's gold pocket watch :laughing7:) up on the banner. I was about 20 feet away when he found it, took the first snapshot of it knowing full well it was old gold:

IMG_3227.JPG

Congratulations Joe, high praise indeed on this site which is one of the best forums in my opinion. Hope it gets you to post here more often!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your gold watch find achieving your first BANNER Joe! :occasion14:

I'd trade you all of the complete brass pocket watches I've found for just one piece of yours. :laughing7:

Dave

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If these things could only talk.... OK, so give it up - private property, park, water?????

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool, those old key winders were really neat. I didn't blow up the picturs to see, but it is important to note that many of the gold cases are what is called "gold filled" which are layers of gold over the copper. Normally, the plated watches will state a wear-through warranty on it like 10 years or 25 years which equates to the thickness of the gold plating. All i see is the 18k marking as well as the jewelers marks so it good be a true 18k gold case. The problem is that many companies played it a little loose with their descriptions and you would sometimes find markings that say "18k gold" , but there will also be a mark indicating that it is a 30 year plating instead of actual solid gold. There looks to be a copper look to the badly worn areas which makes me wonder if it is plated.

It can become quite confusing as a lot of the watches and cases were not manufactured together. You would go to the jeweler to buy the movement and then select a case from other manufactureres to pair with it. You really need to research the markings stamped on the case to find out.

As for restoring one...forget about it is my advice. There are very few people still skilled in repairing old pocket watches so the repair price is VERY high. Just to get a watch (in great condition) cleaned and timed will cost you close to $300. A full restoration would likely be in the thousands.

I hope I didn't just become the wet blanket here, that is a really cool find and it very well might be a true 18K gold watch. It was a very expensive watch in its day, and if you remove the movement, you might even find that the gears are also made of gold.

OP
OP
A

Acojoe

Oct 28, 2018
Pittsfield, Ma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the votes for banner, it an honor. Deepseeker3. It was open public land.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Really cool, those old key winders were really neat. I didn't blow up the picturs to see, but it is important to note that many of the gold cases are what is called "gold filled" which are layers of gold over the copper. Normally, the plated watches will state a wear-through warranty on it like 10 years or 25 years which equates to the thickness of the gold plating. All i see is the 18k marking as well as the jewelers marks so it good be a true 18k gold case. The problem is that many companies played it a little loose with their descriptions and you would sometimes find markings that say "18k gold" , but there will also be a mark indicating that it is a 30 year plating instead of actual solid gold. There looks to be a copper look to the badly worn areas which makes me wonder if it is plated.

It can become quite confusing as a lot of the watches and cases were not manufactured together. You would go to the jeweler to buy the movement and then select a case from other manufactureres to pair with it. You really need to research the markings stamped on the case to find out.

As for restoring one...forget about it is my advice. There are very few people still skilled in repairing old pocket watches so the repair price is VERY high. Just to get a watch (in great condition) cleaned and timed will cost you close to $300. A full restoration would likely be in the thousands.

I hope I didn't just become the wet blanket here, that is a really cool find and it very well might be a true 18K gold watch. It was a very expensive watch in its day, and if you remove the movement, you might even find that the gears are also made of gold.

You obviously didnt care to research this watch at all and instead wanted to share your knowledge of gold filled watches.

Wet blanket you are not..... Your opinion is incorrect. The manufacturer of the watch is already known.

Glorious find it is.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you had "blown up the pictures to see" You having all of that knowledge of Watch cases would have known immediately that this is a solid 18K gold 1860's era Vacheron key wind key set.But you did not bother to look. Congrats on the banner!! Well deserved

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread