Harrison

Jan 14, 2020
Where the treasure is
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was a great day! Here’s a little back story- I started metal detecting in November and I’ve been absolutely hooked. I’ve detected every single day since. This is going to be my life long passion/ hobby. I’ve found hundreds of coins in my short time digging- But they all have been mostly modern. My oldest coin so far is a 1902 Indian head. I’m hoping to break into the 1800s soon! But today I crossed off a bucket lister. I decided to search my front yard while waiting on my girlfriend to get ready. We were preparing to hit a yard that keeps supplying us with civil war relics. She was taking a while and boy am I glad she did! While waiting I popped out a 1944 silver mercury dime. My first merc ever! I always love seeing silver in the hole, but this coin is just so special. Definitely one of the prettiest coins designed in my opinion. I ran in to show her and she got ready to dig quick after seeing the coin! ;) we drove over to the permission and found two bullets, a 1920-50s thimble, artillery shell sabbot fragment and some camp lead! Always a good day crossing off bucket listers! The dime has a “w” mint mark on the front & a “s” on the reverse any information on this? 88EA94B1-9B38-4958-9FD4-F3F272B05658.jpeg 032ECAD0-76BD-46F4-8F32-D59D33A77B31.jpeg CABCA35D-09C5-4EA3-B840-E315D7AB5A6D.jpeg

Upvote 13

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction and Congrats on the great finds! I'd hunt every day myself if I could. The S at the bottom left of the axe represents San Francisco, where it was minted (D would be Denver, no MM = Philly) and the W on the obverse is the coin designers last name (Adolph Weinman). Continued success to you both!

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dime!! I'm just starting myself. Its addicting alright. I was thinking the same thing about how this is going to be the rest of my life hobby. I'm usually out fishing every weekend and my boat hasn't seen the water since November. �� Best thing is I don't have to spend $100 to go have a good time

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin there! The merc was my first silver as well! That's pretty amazing that you found it in your own yard! It's also pretty amazing that you've found all these civil war items before a silver dime! Those are way harder to find... I mean unless you are in civil war territory! Congrats on it!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JeffinMass described the initials for you. Great find, and congrats on your first Merc. I'll bet that girlfriend of yours starts getting ready for the hunts a little quicker now ! Welcome to the hobby and good luck on future hunts.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds yep this hobby can do that to you lol but it is so fun and you get paid to do it. Glad to see your doing so well keep rippin. Tommy

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I love your enthusiasm, you're going to need a big display case very soon!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice coin and relic hunt! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread