Fishing lures

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hopkins lures.jpg
I went out today wading but didn't find anything very old but did find a few new fishing lures along with a few clad coins. Three of these are from today but all of them are from this month. I give them away and or clean them up and put new hooks on them. I don't fish a lot but always have some on the boat. Last year I found about 40-50 lures that were good enough to use again. They give a funny signal on the Equinox that you cant walk away from so they get cleaned out from an area pretty quick. Today was a new beach so I'm sure there are plenty more.

Upvote 12

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal-lures2 (1)b.png metal-lures1.png those are stainless Hopkins - they can be years old and still come out clean
i easily have over 100 of them - mostly i get Kastmasters in my salt waters - i think both are used for stripers and blues
I used to avidly fish - so would add good ones to my box - gave some away too. Now i save them
figure when i retire I can go down to the beach and sell them long with my sinkers saved to make a few extra
bucks. I got a lot of sinkers and have molds to remelt the bad ones and make new ones if i want
this is an older pic of just some of my lead
attachment.php

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Kastmasters of all sizes are easily most of what I find but are mostly in the worst condition. I don't have the room to store them unless they can be used again.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, guys. I was hunting a local lake which had been lowered in an effort to kill off the invasive seaweed. Place is heavily fished. Found lots of Phoebes, Cast Masters and spinners - most beyond hope. Also found quite a few lead sinkers. I used to fish a lot in the past and I guess I was doing it wrong because I see now that some folks are using 4 ounce sinkers with #2 circle hooks to catch recently stocked 9-inch trout ???

The nice part is that all that old terminal tackle gives loud, clear signals.
dts

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kastmasters of all sizes are easily most of what I find but are mostly in the worst condition. I don't have the room to store them unless they can be used again.
Kastmasters are usually brass and even if no good for fishing - are good to recycle
i have some that can be saved (some are like new) others are real old and holes at both ends are worn thru (will be scrapped)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one site said that the Hopklins are stainless - others say heavy chrome :dontknow:
i think heavy chrome - ive found some down deep and like i said - found a lot of them and not a single one
is discolored or corroded ---same as yours - dont cost much to get a bag of attatchment rings and new hooks
the small Hopkins go for on average for 4.99 and longer ones go for around 9.99
so if youfix them up - and went down to a popular fish spot you could probably easily get $2-$3 for them
i sold a bunch of ocean sinkers at a tag sale for 25c a piece and guys were fighting over them
you can get more for them also - I know guys that just throw them away

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ll try to sell a bunch of this stuff at our annual community tag sale. My nephew gets the lead sinkers. He uses them for black powder ammunition. I think I’ve found enough to keep him well stocked for several lifetimes.
dts

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, guys. I was hunting a local lake which had been lowered in an effort to kill off the invasive seaweed. Place is heavily fished. Found lots of Phoebes, Cast Masters and spinners - most beyond hope. Also found quite a few lead sinkers. I used to fish a lot in the past and I guess I was doing it wrong because I see now that some folks are using 4 ounce sinkers with #2 circle hooks to catch recently stocked 9-inch trout ???

The nice part is that all that old terminal tackle gives loud, clear signals.
dts

Thing is - I have lots of spots that are always replenished every year with fishing stuff
I have places that have old and some real old fishing tackle down deep - like you said lead goes off great and
brass lures go off great too - so if i get in a spot and I dig the older ones down a foot or deeper
i get excited cause it means they were never gone over or were missed and there could be
real good keepers down deep there too :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll try to sell a bunch of this stuff at our annual community tag sale. My nephew gets the lead sinkers. He uses them for black powder ammunition. I think I’ve found enough to keep him well stocked for several lifetimes.
dts
Thats what we used to do with a lot of them - bought musket ball molds and made our own
then i bought sinker molds and melted the old ones into new ones
then i bought a dive weight mold and made my own
the molds were not very expensive and i could easily turn a profit making any of these
for resale - i have I think over 400 lbs of lead right now -- its one of those things i will
do when i retire (I hope)

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
P6090046.JPG
This was for only one scuba season, its about 35 pounds of scrap metal including brass, copper, lead, lures. Aluminium got thrown out in recycling. The most lead I found in one dive was so heavy I couldn't get to the surface and ended up attaching my collection bag to the anchor line, it was more than 10 pounds. When I detect under water I have a lot of weights on to hold me to the bottom so 10 extra pounds made a big difference.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a spot like that - thought it would hold some older coins and gold but its a popular fishing spot
all huge rock bottom - bedrock i would say and all crevasses and nooks and crannies some with sand traps
i would get a blast in a large crevasse and would fan up 5 - 10 or more
they use huge ocean sinkers here because of the currents - i filled my pouch to the top and had to quit because ran out of room
I actually had fun retrieving them once i got it in my mind that i was not gonna find any thing better - i got a few coins
but nothing special - i want to go back - i barely put a dent in whats there and i only snorkeled - depths are probably loaded
just took a new pic of most of my lead - got a few more containers in the house not in pic
attachment.php

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im hoping one of these days to head to NY and give waters a try - guess i need a permit?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most common lures I find here are the Kastmasters and Crocodiles.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper, don't overlook the reloading market. I'm sure you could find a few guys that reload their own bullets. You have the lead for it. Waterfowl hunters also use lead weights for their decoys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread