Copper Field gives up another LARGE COPPER

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back out to the copper field today. Very chilly when I started the hunt (8:30). It was about 35 degrees. After the sun rose a little further it warmed up and I got a little more comfortable. The first hour of the hunt was pretty uneventful but then I got a nice quarter hit on my DFX. I pinpointed the signal and the depth was about 5 1/2 inches. I felt pretty confident that I had something good when I began to dig. This signal was exactly the same as the 1847 Large Cent signal I dug a couple hunts ago. Sure enough, up comes this 1846 Braided hair Large cent. :o ;D At this point I began trash talking to imaginary people (I was after all hunting by myself)........Hey give me a break, I had to brag to somebody. ;D Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera out into the field today so no action shots of the coin in the hole (sorry). Here is what the coin looked like when I got it home (uncleaned obviously). I am currently soaking it in hot peroxide (Don's method) and i will post better pics in a little while. NOTE: BETTER PICTURES NOW ATTACHED AT END OF POST....

Obverse
IMG_0943.JPG

Reverse
IMG_0944.JPG

I found this coin about 25 to 30 feet from where i found the 1847 large cent so I decided to concentrate my efforts here for a while. It paid off about 5 minutes later when i dug this button. It has a very nice design on the front and a backmark, which i cant read yet. (It's currently soaking with the coin.)

IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG

The next find was this thingamajig. I have no idea what it is. It appears to be made out of brass and has a very ornate design on it. If anybody has any ideas as to what this might be, I'd appreciate any input. I included a picture of it with the large cent for size comparison.

IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

The finds in this area began to dwindle so I decided to head into another field. I parked the quad about halfway in the field and began to swing the coil in the direction of the far end of the field. After walking a good 100 to 150 yards I began to pick up some iron hits, the first of which was this nice stirrup. It appears to be in pretty good shape.

IMG_0946.JPG

The next iron hit was literally an iron hit. I dug this old flat iron at about 4 inches. This thing weighs a ton. I had to walk back to the quad and leave it there. There was no way that thing could fit in my pouch.

IMG_0948.JPG

I was beginning to think I stumbled onto another home site because I started to find some silverware. None of the silverware was intact....just pieces.

IMG_0945.JPG

The next hit was another axe head. These people go through axes like i go through socks. I've found 4 or 5 at this site so far. Then again it's a big site and they probably weren't all lost by the same person.

IMG_0949.JPG

The next find was a harmonica reed.....my first ;D.

IMG_0950.JPG

Here is one more picture of the days overall take. You'll notice alot of pottery shards and some glass. These were all eyeball finds in the same area that I was finding all of the iron. I only picked up a few pieces. It was lying all over the place. Thanks for looking and happy hunting. Check this post later and I will have updated it with cleaned pictures of the coin and button.

IMG_0938.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some semi cleaned pics of the large cent. This hot peroxide method seems to be working pretty well so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 756

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great digs, Congrats!!!
There sure has been a lot of large cents dug lately...
I think your ok if your just talking to yourself, it's when you answer yourself, you have to worry about it... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon said:
Great digs, Congrats!!!
There sure has been a lot of large cents dug lately...
I think your ok if your just talking to yourself, it's when you answer yourself, you have to worry about it... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~
Thanks Leon. I feel much better now. :D I always talk to myself. I'm going to post a better picture of the button.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a better picture of the button. Can anyone make out the backmark?

Attachments

• IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 710
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today as well. Is this a crotal bell? I know its damaged but even so, if it is, it would be my first one.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 687

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you do have a croatal bell there. Keep on truckin with that peroxide (it takes 2 hours sometimes to stop bubbling). I think that baby will clean up nice for ya. Don't forget to give it a water soak when you're done. Those are some great relics from that site. I'm tryin to think of what that brass things is...it looks familiar to me but I don't really have any idea at this point.

Nice work!

-Buckles

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I think you do have a croatal bell there. Keep on truckin with that peroxide (it takes 2 hours sometimes to stop bubbling). I think that baby will clean up nice for ya. Don't forget to give it a water soak when you're done. Those are some great relics from that site. I'm tryin to think of what that brass things is...it looks familiar to me but I don't really have any idea at this point.

Nice work!

-Buckles
Thanks for the response BB. I probably would have forgotten the water soak. That brass thingy sure has me perplexed.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful relics!! . . . All the eye-balled glass & stuff is really a good sign for things to come.

I love the stirrup and that LC. . . Nice!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the end result. Much better than the 1847 i found last week. I included a picture of that one too.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 583

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Way to go, man, on the coppa! You are still 1.5 coppas behind me. :D

zoyster

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zoyboy said:

zoyster
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I was digging this coin. LMAO!! :D :D

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
zoyboy said:

zoyster
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I was digging this coin. LMAO!! :D :D
Hey Zoy. I remember that 1700 cut coppa you found. Wouldn't that make your total uneven too. Or did you find another clipped coppa this year that I didn't see? ;D

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Nope, I only found that 1700 cut british copper! However, I am counting it as one copper, so you are only one copper behind the zoyster. :D

zoyster

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT
Outstanding digs!

Way to go Evo!

You gotta love a great mix of relics, coins and buttons ;)

Keep diggin',

Nickel_B

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great hunt EV---Congrats on those nice finds.
A Large cent is still on my wish list

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread