MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I got up early (8am) :o drove my dad to work. Was going to hunt the honey hole that Prolab69 took me to all day long and get lots of silver. :) Started out with a dime hit then a quarter (1967) and about 5 min in I got a nice VDI of 83-84 back and forth. I figured definitely silver... ;D

I start digging and out of the corner of my eye I see a car park. I look up and see what looks to be a State Trooper walking my way. :( He gets closer as I dig my hole, searching desperately for the hit. I look up again and he is almost right on top of me. ??? I try and pinpoint the signal fast, the man is getting closer faster. He's less than 5 feet away my heart is pounding. He walks up to me and says 8) you know you need a permit for that? I pull the target and tightly palm it. I notice he is not a Trooper but a man in a suit. He explains how I need to get a permit as I look at my find a little, I agree and leave. :-[ >:(

I get back to my car and take a closer look at the find. It is a sterling silver Saint Christopher pendent!! :o

Keep in mind both Prolab69 and I had no idea if we are allowed to hunt there or not. This explains why it was such a Honey Hole. Digging is only allowed with a permit in the sandy beach areas... :-\

I could not think where to go next so I drove 30 min back home. :'( I get home and call Prolab69 and tell him the story we meet up and go to another park. 30 min back to town... ??? This time a public park... Prolab69 beats me there and Hunts some of the front of the park. He tells me he found lots of clad. We move to the back of the park and find some trash. Later we chose to hunt an area kinda off to the side in the middle of the back of the park. ??? We hunt a little with some skunk finds...You know 1968 clad. I dig some more and find a wheat.

As everyone should know you need to search an area well once you find a wheat.... :) Don't just assume that its the only coin in a 10 foot radius and leave. :P Search slow and careful, my next hit was a 1943 Merc !! :o ;D A little later after some more skunks I find a 1924 Merc with some bad toning. :o We dig some more skunks and soon leave. ::)

Here are some pictures, I hope you all enjoyed!! ;)

Attachments

• Saint1 003.jpg
    Saint1 003.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Saint1 001.jpg
    Saint1 001.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,155
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
cool finds mud. be careful out there though. around here state parks are off limits and they can take your equipment (including your car)! our state has put laws into place that make hunting on any state owned land a crime. >:( you have to be careful or else you can get into big trouble. i wish i could get that law changed.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year, when I was a novice, the same thing happened to me. The park manager was so nice when he told me that I actually had a 10 minute conversation with him. I asked him if I could volunteer some of my time (cleaning or whatever) at the park in exchange for permission to detect the grassy areas of the park (permits are only good for beach areas). He told me to put it in writing so he could submit the request to his superiors. I did as he asked. Guess what? His superiors shot down the idea :-\ Oh well, it didn't hurt to try. Keep at it. You'll find lots more good spots soon.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Too bad,on Long Island you can hunt the all areas of state parks with a permit.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
out of curosity how much is the permit to metal detect in the state parks

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, at least you dug a little silver before you got run off.

Congrats,
SgtSki

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Nice silver. I really like that St Christopher.
Joe

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if the permits free...just go get one

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
There is one state park in the Ithaca area that you can get a permit for as far as I know (sent you a PM). In the others, the park police can and will confiscate your metal detector if they catch you, so look out. Some of those parks were killer spots in the 1970s and 80s. My friend recovered a FULL ROLL of Barber quarters in just a couple of hours hour in one of the parks there. He said there was so much silver carpeting the ground that he stayed on his knees digging the whole time, because the silver coins were spaced less than a foot apart in places! He has cigar boxes full of bust, seated, and barber coins recovered from around that area to prove it. I think it was legal to detect the parks way back when, like in many other areas. Ah, what it would be like to be the first guy who hit the local parks with a detector in 1970.....

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
You're right, no wonders there were so many coins there to find. In Mo., with a permit, which is free, you can hunt the beach areas of the lakes, but not the grassy parts of the park. Too bad. I'm sure they too are loaded. Nice finds you got there.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Thanks guys, I guess I will get a permit next season. :) If I can I would like to get this law changed. I was thinking about changing it judicially. One, we as metal detectorist bring modern clad money that is lost back into circulation. We also save historical artifacts, like old coins and relics. This law needs to be changed or removed. >:( So what, the lawns won't look so nice for a little. Not many people will get hurt on our holes. :-* Maybe if we could fence off area's we hunt with caution tape? ??? That's eye appealing.... I don't know could be a loss cause. The law seems kinda lame to me but understandable. :'(

Keep @ it and HH!! :D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Mud. The man in the suit got ya eh? Probably not a DNR officer. If it had been you may have been less a detector. At least that's how it can work here in Michigan.

The DNR are like gods around here. They have way too much power.

Nice dimes and medal!

Badger

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,

My feelings on the taking our machines if we are caught there is total Bull crap !! :-[ What kind of crap is that :( I would be so mad if that happend. >:( I would talk to all my friend lawyers and fight that till I die. These machines cost people nearly $1000 and more. What do they do with them, likely sell them on auction for $50.00 This is so wrong who do they think they are, that's stealing to me?! :-[ $1000 can be allot of work for some people. They should just fine us $100.00 - $200.00 to keep us away.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions