Large Cent from Yesterday: Before and After Andrés Pencils

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

I got out to my usual schoolyard yesterday, where I've pulled two large cents so far. I hit a very deep quarter signal in the middle of the field - a place I've walked over dozens of times by the way - and pulled out another large cent!

Looks like a Matron head, that spend 200 years in the soil face-up. The front was caked with dirt and chipping, so after toothpicking what I could I finally gave my Andrés Pencils a whirl.

Here's the LC before I messed with it:

lc-before-andres.jpg

Here's the LC after about 20 minutes of Andrés Pencils.

lc-after-andres.jpg

Now I'm not a salesman for André's, but pretty good, right? I was happy. Still can't make out the date, but since LC's have many varieties maybe some of you could help out or narrow it down?

Thanks in advance!
GL & HH!

Upvote 14

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible amount of stuff on that coin, but who cares, you found a Large Cent! :icon_thumright:
...well, it would a big deal If I found it, those puppies rarely show their head out West,
where I hunt (and live)...!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! That coin still has some nice detail on it. Good job!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that’s coming along super nicely. Good going! I really should get some Andre’s.

Yeah, the coin could use some more work, but at this point, he'll have to decide what he's after, then do it or not.
The finder wanted the date, but from the design, one could easily get a Date Range of the coin' series....
'Liberty" is real sharp on her crown, so I'm guessing it will be a higher value item, even Dug and Cleaned.............

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that’s coming along super nicely. Good going! I really should get some Andre’s.

Yeah, the coin could use some more work, but at this point, he'll have to decide what he's after, then do it or not.
The finder wanted the date, but from the design, one could easily get a Date Range of the coin' series....
'Liberty" is real sharp on her crown, so I'm guessing it will be a higher value item, even Dug and Cleaned.............
I just got a set of those pencils last month, and haven't used them yet..., but have a couple of projects lined up!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work I'm a firm believer in the magic of Andre's pencils! Excellent schoolyard find too. Not to easy to do that!

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll probably leave the coin as is. It's already chipped and pitted, and there's no more dirt to really take away from it. I'm fine with not having a date, at least I have a variety.

The school was constructed in the late 1960's, but it must've been built on something older. Historic Aerials shows some sort of farm or orchard. Oldest coin I've found is an 1818 large cent, and it came out of the ground in amazing shape. Probably due to the fact it was buried straight up and down:

finds1.jpg IMG_5191.JPG

(This is from a different hunt, of course). Gotta love the Equinox, finding stuff straight up and down.

Attachments

• IMG_5194.JPG
    IMG_5194.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 44
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the large cent! :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet LC- Congrats! I'm a fan of Andre's pencils as well.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, congratulations on the Large Cent, the Mercury Dime and the Ring...!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on those Im gonna get me some of those pencils you did a good job with em. Stay safe out there my friend Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread