Did the Self Isolation thing this weekend, and now I'm paying the price....

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have overdone it, every muscle in my body hurts :laughing7:

Saturday I spent 5.5 hours at two early sites that I have pounded pretty good over the last couple years. The fields were as good as they for metal detecting and they needed to be hit before the grass starts growing. I didn't get much, but I did find my first half cent of the year.

Here are my finds from Saturday
3-21-20 All.jpg

I was determined to find something good, and that probably contributed to my overdoing it. Finally, late in the day I got a good signal and saw this sticking out of a clump of dirt....
Half Cent Dirt.jpg

Turned out to be a Classic Head or Matron half cent. Unfortunately its pretty toasted. I haven't even been able to get date off it yet, but I'll keep working on it.
Half Cent.jpg IMG_20200321_191828656_HDR.jpg

Today Thad (pa dirt-nc sand) and Louis (MetalHeadz) invited me to join them in a wooded area of Pittsburgh 5 minutes from my house that has a few old foundations. They had already been digging for a couple hours by the time I got there, and they both had pocketed quite a few things. I was sore as heck from the day before, and had to go up and down several steep ravines getting in and out of the site, but I still managed to come up with a few things.

Here is my take for Sunday's hunt, including some things that are headed for the scrap brass bucket. I did get into a 14 coin spill, unfortunately they were all Lincoln Memorial pennies. At first I kept digging them thinking that maybe they lost something besides just pennies, but after digging so many, I asked myself WHY AM I WASTING MY TIME DIGGING THESE STUPID PENNIES???
3-22-20 All.jpg

Just before I got into the penny spill, on my second signal of the day, I got a good signal, isolated it to a clump of dirt, broke the clump in half and saw this...
Silver Dirt.jpg

Turned out to be a piece of silver jewelry, probably from a bracelet. Then about 15 feet away I dug a another one. There may even be more of them out there.
Silver Front.jpg Silver Back.jpg

I only managed one IHP. I haven't settled on a date yet, either 1867 or 1887. It's pretty rough.
EDIT: The Indian head penny is 1864. I added a better pic
IMG_20200322_154859446_HDR.jpg IMG_20200322_194842974_HDR.jpg

After cleaning some of the junk, I noticed one
thin washer was actually a dial face. Probably from a 1930s home radio.
IMG_20200322_212924240_HDR.jpg

All in all a nice day to be in woods. Thanks for the invite guys, always a pleasure to dig with yinz.

Last edited:
Upvote 36
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you came out. Looks like you had a solid weekend and it was cool to see your half cent in person. Those silver bracelet pieces are unique scores.
Thanks Louis. There's still a lot to be found in those woods. Crusader suggested that the silver pieces may be cufflinks, and I think he's right.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Steve. If you cant get a date off of the Half Cent, try to identify it by the reverse. There were various types on the reverse (stemless wreath, stemmed wreath etc). I have only found 1 Half Cent, that was also dateless, but I was able to identify it by the reverse which told me it was an 1804. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread