🥇 BANNER 17th Century Ball Pouch Contents - Colonial Warfare Frozen in Time

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first find from a few weeks ago came soon enough – a fired musket ball recovered only a five minutes into my search. It was immediately followed by a much-deteriorated lug handle from a copper cauldron dating back to the 17th century. These were promising finds, but further signals proved elusive as I wandered around about the woods for the next two hours or so. I desperately hoped for further indication of an early site that had also seen action during King Philip’s War, a devastating conflict that raged throughout New England from 1675 to 1676. It was a war of annihilation between ever-encroaching English settlers and Native American tribes – the Wampanoags, The Nipmucs, and the Narragansetts, along with smaller sub-tribes. The war is named after the sachem of the Wampanoag, Metacomet, who started the uprising; he was given the Christian name of Philip by the English.

Mindful of my research :icon_study: and convinced that the initial finds were no fluke, I redoubled my efforts and eventually recovered a large fragment of thick brass. I then soon after came upon another promising signal at the base of a tree. I removed a large plug and some soil until my pinpointer indicated a signal further down into the hole. I was at first disappointed at the glimpse of a huge chunk of lead pinned under a tree root. I was certain that a rough fragment of lead would offer no solid connection to a 17th century dwelling, to say nothing of a dwelling where fierce fighting occurred. After removing some more dirt, I dislodged the lead out from underneath a tree root. It was certainly the biggest piece of lead I had ever found in my many years of detecting. Roughly oval in shape, it measured 4" x 2 & ½” x ¾” thick and would later weigh out at 1 pound, 3 ounces! I assumed it was a nondescript chunk of lead, most likely scrap, discarded by a farmer many years ago, but was it something else? Something extraordinary? ???

P3250009.JPG

The lead had oxidized to a mix of colors from white to medium brown. As I wiped dirt from the lead chunk, I noticed several distinct lumps protruding from the otherwise featureless form. I was amazed to see that the lumps were actually musket balls fused to a lead ingot! :icon_cheers: A total of five musket balls were melted to the ingot, and from the same hole emerged a few more pieces of lead and a single loose musket ball. Further searching nearby uncovered several more musket balls, more scraps of lead, iron, and a piece of black colonial glass that I chanced upon while digging.

What would explain to recovery of a lead ingot with fused musket balls? :icon_scratch: The answer is found in the history of King Philips War and a close examination of this unusual find.

Here's a photos of the lead ingot with fused musket balls and related finds all dug from the same hole after being cleaned and preserved.

P3240156.JPG

Close-up image of musket balls fused to the lead ingot.

P3240091.JPG P3240092.JPG

During King Philip's War, both the English and the Native American tribes cruelly resorted to fire in order to achieve victory against the enemy, and the toll was dreadful as English settlements and tribal villages alike, one after the other, went up in flames.

A00Y_1_201907071270369779.jpg
Battle of Turner's Falls

1574709255298.jpeg
Great Swamp Fight

Brookfield , MA.jpg
Brookfield, MA

The site that had produced this most unusual find had suffered the same fate. The dwelling was burned over 340 years. Most of it was consumed in flames and turned to ash, but some objects, including this object, the contents of a 17th century ball pouch, survived down through the centuries. Lead shot throughout the Colonial Period were cast by pouring molten lead into a bullet mold. The ingot was spare lead stock for manufacturing more shot as needed. Evidence for a ball pouch ID was observed in curious grooves on the backside of the ingot. The grooved surface seemed peculiar at first but was soon recognized as an imprint of material from the shot pouch itself; however, the imprint found on the ingot and another fragment of lead recovered nearby did not reflect the use sturdy leather expected in an English shot pouch.

apost1.jpg
A Dutch ball pouch with bandolier – circa. 1600.

P3240111.JPG P3240141.JPG
Peculiar grooved surface on back of lead ingot (complete image and close-up image). Notice the dark spot?

P3240165.JPG P3240169.JPG P3240181.JPG
Crisscross pattern seen on another fragment of lead found nearby with close-up view and image of opposite side.

Amazingly, the impression from the material for the ball pouch showed clear use of a fiber weave. This shot pouch belonged to an Indian brave! :headbang: The shot pouch was dropped during the deadly fighting, and the subsequent torching of the dwelling heated up the lead contents just enough to cause the balls to partially settle into the edge of the ingot, while the softened ingot itself absorbed a light impression of the hemp material from the bottom of the pouch. The fire eventually burned itself out, and the lead soon cooled forever preserving a moment in time from a brutal war fought over three centuries ago. The location of the dropped shot pouch, the intensity of the fire, and countless other factors led up to the recovery of this remarkable piece of history. If they intensity of the fire or the exact location of dropped ball pouch had varied even slightly, the inside contents would have likely been reduced to an unrecognizable clump of lead. I’m thankful that such a thankful scenario did not take place and more thankful for having recovered such a striking find.

Native-Americans-log-cabin-fire-woodcut-King (1).jpg

I’ve made several return visits to the site over the past few weeks, and have recovered a number of lead shot and a few other finds, but none so intriguing as the remains of a Native American ball pouch from the 17th century. Here some more images of recent finds upon recovery and after some cleaning and preservation. Some of the finds offer strong evidence of the dwelling being burned in the fighting.

P3240233.JPG
More shot of varying sizes have been recovered with most averaging near .45 caliber in size. Many of the lead balls show clear signs of impacting after being fired as seen in the bottom row.

P3081236.JPG P3240201.JPG
More evidence of the site being torched in the fighting. Charred pieces of wood were recovered while digging for musket balls and other targets. I've come upon several pieces of charred wood while digging.

P3250019.JPG
The piece of black colonial glass shows signs of being subjected to fire.

P3240194.JPG
Other finds from the site include cookware - pots hooks, copper pot fragment, and a pot lug handle.

P3191317.JPG P3240212.JPG
A hammerhead, a 345 year-old hammerhead! - photos taken during preservation and after being completed. I've opted for a coating of Renaissance Wax for now, but will followup with a hot wax treatment in the near future.

Finally, the last image - I apologize for such a long-thread. While taking photos for this thread, I took a closer look at backside of the ingot with the view of the fiber weave seen earlier in this thread; it has a dark spot. Here's a super-macro image of what I thought was some form of dark minerialization in the lead patina.

P3240137.JPG

Actually it's a charred ember from the fiber weave of the ball pouch or from the burning dwelling. It settled into the molten lead and has remained preserved for nearly 3 & 1/2 centuries. It's a remarkable piece of history offering silent testimony of calamitous events during the early Colonial Period of America.

Be Safe and Good Hunting!

Upvote 127
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To All – Thank you for all the kind comments, encouragement, likes, and votes that helped put this find up on the banner. I can always count on the T-Net membership for support and a community of passionate metal detecting enthusiasts who appreciate what we recover and the fascinating history it all represents. I’m feeling plenty motivated and will be setting my alarm clock for not later than 5:00 am tomorrow morning to get in some detecting time – the boss wants me home by noon!

In regards to the history this one find represents, the following is a primary source account of the devastation resulting from King Philip’s War written back on July 22, 1676 by Nathaniel Saltonstall. He was a magistrate from Massachusetts, who is best none for resigning from his office over his displeasure with proceedings that would lead to the infamous Salem witch trials. His description of New England at the high water mark of English bloodshed during King Philip’s War is as follows:

In Narragansett, not one House left standing.

At Warwick, but one.

At Providence, not above three.

At Potuxit, none left.

Very few at Seaconicke.

At Swansey, two, at most.

Marlborough, wholly laid in Ashes, except two or three Houses.

Grantham and Nashaway, all ruined but one House or two.

Many Houses burnt at Springfield, Scituate, Lancaster, Brookefield, and Northampton.

The greatest Part of Rehoboth and Taunton destroyed.

Great Spoil made at Hadley, Hatfield, and Chelmsford.

Deerfield wholly, and Westfield much, ruined.

At Sudbury, many Houses burnt, and some at Hingham, Weymouth, and Braintree.

Besides particular Farms and Plantations, a great Number not be reckoned up, wholly laid waste, or very much damnified.

Certainly, the English were just as brutal in their prosecution of the war, and I will provide another reply with a follow-up description from one of their campaigns to provide a fair and balanced perspective.

download.jpg

Primary sources provide vivid descriptions of the times, places, and events. The history that we are fortunate enough to recover tells the rest of the story.

Thank you again,

Good Hunting and Be Safe!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have some inside information driving you to this specific homestead.

In my neck of the woods, finding a cabin that did not burn down is challenging. It just seems like they were abandoned (many times fully furnished) and at some point burned down.

We just don’t have much granular history to connect a burned cabin to a specific event.

Your lucky to have such lengthy history to be involved in.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding finds, even better post....
and always a few tools to be found, both underground and online

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome post and congratulations on the banner. The house I grew up in is said to have been spared during the conflict due to its proximity to the town’s defenses just down a dirt lane from the house. All the town’s mills were burned. We had a psychic come in when I was a kid and she said there was an attempt to burn the house but it was rebuffed. For whatever that’s worth. I’ve been interested in this conflict ever since. Fascinating.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
It’s a very interesting find and well researched post. No disrespect intended, it’s just objectively looking at every banner item I’ve seen, you know it’s a gold coin, an old ring, a Rev War button, etc. In this case it’s quite possible it’s what his research shows, or it could be 50 years later and someone was doing something similar. You would need some material from the pouch embedded in the item to then test and compare against the makeup of known material used in pouches of that period. I’m only saying what a real scientific standard would be vs a theory based on some good proof but not definitive proof. And I understand why material wouldn’t be there due to heat. My point is some things just can’t be shown one way or the other to certainty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a very interesting find and well researched post. No disrespect intended, it’s just objectively looking at every banner item I’ve seen, you know it’s a gold coin, an old ring, a Rev War button, etc. In this case it’s quite possible it’s what his research shows, or it could be 50 years later and someone was doing something similar. You would need some material from the pouch embedded in the item to then test and compare against the makeup of known material used in pouches of that period. I’m only saying what a real scientific standard would be vs a theory based on some good proof but not definitive proof. And I understand why material wouldn’t be there due to heat. My point is some things just can’t be shown one way or the other to certainty.

Bergie – Thanks for your well-stated comments and perspective, for you make a valid point. I’m offering this reply not to argue any position; :argue: rather, I wish to provide some further information or insight on the site that produced this ball pouch remnants. The qualities of this find in regards to worthiness for banner is not typical of what is usually seen on TNet – “a gold coin, an old ring, or a Rev. War button” as you mentioned. The noteworthiness of gold coin or a GW Inaugural button is clear and inherent in the object itself, while the significance of other finds like the ball pouch is far more subtle yet no less exciting. Such finds are typically associated with an historical event, and yes, making the case for such association is challenging. But this challenge can be very rewarding. The excitement of discovery in a find with obvious, inherent importance is fleeting; it’s quickly over and we’re on the hunt for the next big discovery. The excitement of discovering a find of possible significance, i.e., connected to a historical event, provides ongoing enjoyment in researching the recovered object, the site where it was recovered, and history of the period connected to the find. It’s not a fleeting experience at all, and when you make a strong case with all the evidence that you’ve collected, it becomes very satisfying.

In regards to the ball pouch find, the strongest evidence in connecting this find with a Indian brave fighting in King Philip’s war over three centuries ago is found in the location & history of the site itself and associated artifacts recovered from the same site, some of which I provided in my original post. I hope that you can understand that I was intentionally vague about site specifics – location and other details – for good reason. This reason also explains the less-than-perfect, as dug photo of the ball pouch. The batteries on my digital camera were dead, so I used my low-end cellphone instead for photos. I also had to reformat this photo before posting it. Many T-Net members are likely aware of the “Posting a photo? Read Here First!” thread that appears as a sticky note from ScubaFinder in the HELP forum. ScubaFinder explained that GPS coordinates can be gleaned from cellphone photos, so I avoid directly posting such photos. I have never had the experience of a T-Net member jumping a site with information shared on this forum, but let’s face it - there a plenty of lurkers out there :evil7: who may resort to such practices, having no qualms about taking short cuts. :evil6: It takes a good deal of effort at research to locate sites :icon_study: that produce results, so I’m cautious about what information I share. I hope that you understand.

I provided some illustrations from different events during King Philip’s War to provide some context about this period it time, but for now, I’ll remain vague about the site I’m searching. I would like to share further details going forward if any members are interested in hearing about it and the situation allows for it. What I can provide here and now is further specifics about associated finds from the site, which I will soon post on this thread and a separate thread on a new recent find.

I don’t know if anyone wishes to read through this long-winded message, :sleepy2: but no matter, I wanted to provide it in light of the ball pouch making banner.

Last edited:

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting recoveries! As someone who grew up next to Brookfield MA, I always get excited over stuff like this.

Now I must add, I think it's very important not to come to a conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information. As for the lead ingot with the pattern - that could have been formed from many different things. Maybe the colonist used some of that hemp material? Maybe it was from part of the thatched roofs that some of the earlier houses had? If it burned down it very well could have fallen on the lead. I'm not trying to discredit you, but I think it's important to not to jump to a final conclusion when there are many possibilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting recoveries! As someone who grew up next to Brookfield MA, I always get excited over stuff like this.

Glad to hear it. Your silver shoe buckle is the best I've ever seen on T-Net. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brilliant, and fantastic investigation, research and reporting, I Like the objects I find but love the days of research and uncovery

I nominated this for banner because the value to historical record and the finds are worthy, they might not be shinny and sweet but are saturated with value better than money

Words to live by and thank you for the first banner nomination.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would warn about coming to a firm conclusion about what you found. A theory given the facts would be reasonable. I appreciate the sharing of the history and context of the era and locale. I don’t say this to try and disprove your story.

A couple things to consider...
If you were an Indian brave going into battle, would you be carrying a 1 pound 3 oz. satchel containing a lead ingot and 5 musket balls?....Personally, I’d be carrying a satchel full of musket balls into battle. A settler is highly likely to have a satchel with a lead ingot and some cast musket balls..possibly near an outdoor fire where they could cast bullets. Did the Native Americans practice casting of bullets? I’m reading that they did...but I’d have done that casting prior to battle.

The muskets balls could have been in a satchel made from trade cloth...something similar to a heavy burlap cloth. This could be used by Native Americans or settlers.

Is it possible that settlers at that time might have used baskets or containers made by Native Americans obtained through earlier trade during friendlier times?

I think we will never know exactly what happened. The scenario you presented is exciting.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, the last image - I apologize for such a long-thread. While taking photos for this thread, I took a closer look at backside of the ingot with the view of the fiber weave seen earlier in this thread; it has a dark spot. Here's a super-macro image of what I thought was some form of dark minerialization in the lead patina.

Simply repeating what was said earlier...

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now I must add, I think it's very important not to come to a conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information. As for the lead ingot with the pattern - that could have been formed from many different things. Maybe the colonist used some of that hemp material? Maybe it was from part of the thatched roofs that some of the earlier houses had? If it burned down it very well could have fallen on the lead. I'm not trying to discredit you, but I think it's important to not to jump to a final conclusion when there are many possibilities.

Dust Eater – These are all very good points you make. :icon_thumleft: As I said yesterday in this thread, the history of the site strongly supports the object’s identification as contents from a Native American ball pouch, but I’m a bit reluctant to disclose further information on the history of the site at this time. I hope that you understand. For now, I will say this much:

I provided some images of the carnage that occurred throughout King Philip’s War to provide a bit of context only. Notice that I only described the site as a “dwelling” and made no mention of the site being an early English settlement raided by a native tribe; of course, the probability of this find being Native American would be much higher if the site was a Native American settlement raided by the English. I’m hoping to provide further details sooner or later on this thread that will very much narrow the possibilities. I appreciate your interest and comments. I also like your Avatar – a Higley copper is the copper to find above all others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions