🥇 BANNER 17th Century Ball Pouch Contents - Colonial Warfare Frozen in Time

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first find from a few weeks ago came soon enough – a fired musket ball recovered only a five minutes into my search. It was immediately followed by a much-deteriorated lug handle from a copper cauldron dating back to the 17th century. These were promising finds, but further signals proved elusive as I wandered around about the woods for the next two hours or so. I desperately hoped for further indication of an early site that had also seen action during King Philip’s War, a devastating conflict that raged throughout New England from 1675 to 1676. It was a war of annihilation between ever-encroaching English settlers and Native American tribes – the Wampanoags, The Nipmucs, and the Narragansetts, along with smaller sub-tribes. The war is named after the sachem of the Wampanoag, Metacomet, who started the uprising; he was given the Christian name of Philip by the English.

Mindful of my research :icon_study: and convinced that the initial finds were no fluke, I redoubled my efforts and eventually recovered a large fragment of thick brass. I then soon after came upon another promising signal at the base of a tree. I removed a large plug and some soil until my pinpointer indicated a signal further down into the hole. I was at first disappointed at the glimpse of a huge chunk of lead pinned under a tree root. I was certain that a rough fragment of lead would offer no solid connection to a 17th century dwelling, to say nothing of a dwelling where fierce fighting occurred. After removing some more dirt, I dislodged the lead out from underneath a tree root. It was certainly the biggest piece of lead I had ever found in my many years of detecting. Roughly oval in shape, it measured 4" x 2 & ½” x ¾” thick and would later weigh out at 1 pound, 3 ounces! I assumed it was a nondescript chunk of lead, most likely scrap, discarded by a farmer many years ago, but was it something else? Something extraordinary? ???

P3250009.JPG

The lead had oxidized to a mix of colors from white to medium brown. As I wiped dirt from the lead chunk, I noticed several distinct lumps protruding from the otherwise featureless form. I was amazed to see that the lumps were actually musket balls fused to a lead ingot! :icon_cheers: A total of five musket balls were melted to the ingot, and from the same hole emerged a few more pieces of lead and a single loose musket ball. Further searching nearby uncovered several more musket balls, more scraps of lead, iron, and a piece of black colonial glass that I chanced upon while digging.

What would explain to recovery of a lead ingot with fused musket balls? :icon_scratch: The answer is found in the history of King Philips War and a close examination of this unusual find.

Here's a photos of the lead ingot with fused musket balls and related finds all dug from the same hole after being cleaned and preserved.

P3240156.JPG

Close-up image of musket balls fused to the lead ingot.

P3240091.JPG P3240092.JPG

During King Philip's War, both the English and the Native American tribes cruelly resorted to fire in order to achieve victory against the enemy, and the toll was dreadful as English settlements and tribal villages alike, one after the other, went up in flames.

A00Y_1_201907071270369779.jpg
Battle of Turner's Falls

1574709255298.jpeg
Great Swamp Fight

Brookfield , MA.jpg
Brookfield, MA

The site that had produced this most unusual find had suffered the same fate. The dwelling was burned over 340 years. Most of it was consumed in flames and turned to ash, but some objects, including this object, the contents of a 17th century ball pouch, survived down through the centuries. Lead shot throughout the Colonial Period were cast by pouring molten lead into a bullet mold. The ingot was spare lead stock for manufacturing more shot as needed. Evidence for a ball pouch ID was observed in curious grooves on the backside of the ingot. The grooved surface seemed peculiar at first but was soon recognized as an imprint of material from the shot pouch itself; however, the imprint found on the ingot and another fragment of lead recovered nearby did not reflect the use sturdy leather expected in an English shot pouch.

apost1.jpg
A Dutch ball pouch with bandolier – circa. 1600.

P3240111.JPG P3240141.JPG
Peculiar grooved surface on back of lead ingot (complete image and close-up image). Notice the dark spot?

P3240165.JPG P3240169.JPG P3240181.JPG
Crisscross pattern seen on another fragment of lead found nearby with close-up view and image of opposite side.

Amazingly, the impression from the material for the ball pouch showed clear use of a fiber weave. This shot pouch belonged to an Indian brave! :headbang: The shot pouch was dropped during the deadly fighting, and the subsequent torching of the dwelling heated up the lead contents just enough to cause the balls to partially settle into the edge of the ingot, while the softened ingot itself absorbed a light impression of the hemp material from the bottom of the pouch. The fire eventually burned itself out, and the lead soon cooled forever preserving a moment in time from a brutal war fought over three centuries ago. The location of the dropped shot pouch, the intensity of the fire, and countless other factors led up to the recovery of this remarkable piece of history. If they intensity of the fire or the exact location of dropped ball pouch had varied even slightly, the inside contents would have likely been reduced to an unrecognizable clump of lead. I’m thankful that such a thankful scenario did not take place and more thankful for having recovered such a striking find.

Native-Americans-log-cabin-fire-woodcut-King (1).jpg

I’ve made several return visits to the site over the past few weeks, and have recovered a number of lead shot and a few other finds, but none so intriguing as the remains of a Native American ball pouch from the 17th century. Here some more images of recent finds upon recovery and after some cleaning and preservation. Some of the finds offer strong evidence of the dwelling being burned in the fighting.

P3240233.JPG
More shot of varying sizes have been recovered with most averaging near .45 caliber in size. Many of the lead balls show clear signs of impacting after being fired as seen in the bottom row.

P3081236.JPG P3240201.JPG
More evidence of the site being torched in the fighting. Charred pieces of wood were recovered while digging for musket balls and other targets. I've come upon several pieces of charred wood while digging.

P3250019.JPG
The piece of black colonial glass shows signs of being subjected to fire.

P3240194.JPG
Other finds from the site include cookware - pots hooks, copper pot fragment, and a pot lug handle.

P3191317.JPG P3240212.JPG
A hammerhead, a 345 year-old hammerhead! - photos taken during preservation and after being completed. I've opted for a coating of Renaissance Wax for now, but will followup with a hot wax treatment in the near future.

Finally, the last image - I apologize for such a long-thread. While taking photos for this thread, I took a closer look at backside of the ingot with the view of the fiber weave seen earlier in this thread; it has a dark spot. Here's a super-macro image of what I thought was some form of dark minerialization in the lead patina.

P3240137.JPG

Actually it's a charred ember from the fiber weave of the ball pouch or from the burning dwelling. It settled into the molten lead and has remained preserved for nearly 3 & 1/2 centuries. It's a remarkable piece of history offering silent testimony of calamitous events during the early Colonial Period of America.

Be Safe and Good Hunting!

Upvote 127

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look forward to a follow up post. It’s so fascinating...digging into history.
—————-
My dad once found a neat little pile of musket balls...seemed like we counted them and he was one short of the quantity that would have typically been sold. It was near a spring, very near the top of a long grade. I felt pretty confident envisioning someone stopped to rest...a young man maybe...he picked up his musket and maybe someone else came walking up the trail...some conversation occurred distracting the young man from what he was doing. He then walked off leaving his ball pouch laying in the leaves. He probably didn’t notice till he was quite a ways down the other side of the hill. Something as simple as a pile of lead...draws you down into a rabbit hole of research. Great hobby.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m real happy your find got the recognition it deserves. Banner means different things to everyone, but to me it’s just a vehicle to keep important recoveries from being buried. Best find I’ve seen in a long while #superbanner

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cast bullets also, and of course the imperfect balls get thrown back in the pot. But looking at this find, I get the distinct impression that the balls were heated en masse, rather than an ingot melted and bullets thrown on top. I think the OP is correct in his assessment that the bullets were in a pouch when heated. All-in-all, an excellent post!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for such a well-written and interesting thread and congratulations on an excellent find.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cast bullets also, and of course the imperfect balls get thrown back in the pot. But looking at this find, I get the distinct impression that the balls were heated en masse, rather than an ingot melted and bullets thrown on top. I think the OP is correct in his assessment that the bullets were in a pouch when heated. All-in-all, an excellent post!

Dieselfool - Thanks for your reply supporting the find’s identification as contents from a Native American ball pouch. :icon_thumleft: The contrary identification of a melting pot took did not acknowledge other recoveries from the site indicating a fire from long ago – charred wood, scorched glass, and another fragment of melted lead, which was not bowl/pot-shaped and bore a clearly different impression from another type of material weave. If the lead had been from a melting pot, why were the musket balls not completely melted away into the larger ingot? Also, why was a loose ball and a second fragment dug separately from the same hole? :dontknow: This material should have all been fused together and reduced into one mass. The arrangement of the balls on top off and along the edge of the ingot also offers a clue. If the balls had been simply tossed into a melting pot, they would have bounced and scattered in the melting pot. Yet these musket balls are they all clustered together on one side of the ingot. The all collected together because of gravity - upon the ball pouch falling to the ground the musket balls settled at the lowest point along the lining of the pouch.
Here’s one more characteristic from this site:

P3081213.JPG

It’s an apparent 1” to 2” ash layer from when the dwelling was burnt. I’ve dug many holes of the years – many, many holes - and only at this one site have I observed this: thin layer of fine, gray dirt with darker brown soil both below and above it. It’s all points to evidence of brutal conflict at this site between the English and Indian tribes of New England over 3 & ½ centuries ago.

I’m shut-down for now over COVID-19. While I would be all by myself in searching the site, my state has a shelter-in-place order – essential travel only. I’m doing my best to abide by these requirements owing to all the terrible consequences for the elderly and the sick, although I don’t like the thought of holding off further searching till late fall. The woods are starting to thicken with new growth and will soon frustrate any return visits to the site.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first find from a few weeks ago came soon enough – a fired musket ball recovered only a five minutes into my search. It was immediately followed by a much-deteriorated lug handle from a copper cauldron dating back to the 17th century. These were promising finds, but further signals proved elusive as I wandered around about the woods for the next two hours or so. I desperately hoped for further indication of an early site that had also seen action during King Philip’s War, a devastating conflict that raged throughout New England from 1675 to 1676. It was a war of annihilation between ever-encroaching English settlers and Native American tribes – the Wampanoags, The Nipmucs, and the Narragansetts, along with smaller sub-tribes. The war is named after the sachem of the Wampanoag, Metacomet, who started the uprising; he was given the Christian name of Philip by the English.

Mindful of my research :icon_study: and convinced that the initial finds were no fluke, I redoubled my efforts and eventually recovered a large fragment of thick brass. I then soon after came upon another promising signal at the base of a tree. I removed a large plug and some soil until my pinpointer indicated a signal further down into the hole. I was at first disappointed at the glimpse of a huge chunk of lead pinned under a tree root. I was certain that a rough fragment of lead would offer no solid connection to a 17th century dwelling, to say nothing of a dwelling where fierce fighting occurred. After removing some more dirt, I dislodged the lead out from underneath a tree root. It was certainly the biggest piece of lead I had ever found in my many years of detecting. Roughly oval in shape, it measured 4" x 2 & ½” x ¾” thick and would later weigh out at 1 pound, 3 ounces! I assumed it was a nondescript chunk of lead, most likely scrap, discarded by a farmer many years ago, but was it something else? Something extraordinary? ???

View attachment 1814853

The lead had oxidized to a mix of colors from white to medium brown. As I wiped dirt from the lead chunk, I noticed several distinct lumps protruding from the otherwise featureless form. I was amazed to see that the lumps were actually musket balls fused to a lead ingot! :icon_cheers: A total of five musket balls were melted to the ingot, and from the same hole emerged a few more pieces of lead and a single loose musket ball. Further searching nearby uncovered several more musket balls, more scraps of lead, iron, and a piece of black colonial glass that I chanced upon while digging.

What would explain to recovery of a lead ingot with fused musket balls? :icon_scratch: The answer is found in the history of King Philips War and a close examination of this unusual find.

Here's a photos of the lead ingot with fused musket balls and related finds all dug from the same hole after being cleaned and preserved.

View attachment 1814852

Close-up image of musket balls fused to the lead ingot.

View attachment 1814850 View attachment 1814857

During King Philip's War, both the English and the Native American tribes cruelly resorted to fire in order to achieve victory against the enemy, and the toll was dreadful as English settlements and tribal villages alike, one after the other, went up in flames.

View attachment 1814860
Battle of Turner's Falls

View attachment 1814861
Great Swamp Fight

View attachment 1814862
Brookfield, MA

The site that had produced this most unusual find had suffered the same fate. The dwelling was burned over 340 years. Most of it was consumed in flames and turned to ash, but some objects, including this object, the contents of a 17th century ball pouch, survived down through the centuries. Lead shot throughout the Colonial Period were cast by pouring molten lead into a bullet mold. The ingot was spare lead stock for manufacturing more shot as needed. Evidence for a ball pouch ID was observed in curious grooves on the backside of the ingot. The grooved surface seemed peculiar at first but was soon recognized as an imprint of material from the shot pouch itself; however, the imprint found on the ingot and another fragment of lead recovered nearby did not reflect the use sturdy leather expected in an English shot pouch.

View attachment 1814864
A Dutch ball pouch with bandolier – circa. 1600.

View attachment 1814865 View attachment 1814866
Peculiar grooved surface on back of lead ingot (complete image and close-up image). Notice the dark spot?

View attachment 1814867 View attachment 1814868 View attachment 1814869
Crisscross pattern seen on another fragment of lead found nearby with close-up view and image of opposite side.

Amazingly, the impression from the material for the ball pouch showed clear use of a fiber weave. This shot pouch belonged to an Indian brave! :headbang: The shot pouch was dropped during the deadly fighting, and the subsequent torching of the dwelling heated up the lead contents just enough to cause the balls to partially settle into the edge of the ingot, while the softened ingot itself absorbed a light impression of the hemp material from the bottom of the pouch. The fire eventually burned itself out, and the lead soon cooled forever preserving a moment in time from a brutal war fought over three centuries ago. The location of the dropped shot pouch, the intensity of the fire, and countless other factors led up to the recovery of this remarkable piece of history. If they intensity of the fire or the exact location of dropped ball pouch had varied even slightly, the inside contents would have likely been reduced to an unrecognizable clump of lead. I’m thankful that such a thankful scenario did not take place and more thankful for having recovered such a striking find.

View attachment 1814863

I’ve made several return visits to the site over the past few weeks, and have recovered a number of lead shot and a few other finds, but none so intriguing as the remains of a Native American ball pouch from the 17th century. Here some more images of recent finds upon recovery and after some cleaning and preservation. Some of the finds offer strong evidence of the dwelling being burned in the fighting.

View attachment 1814874
More shot of varying sizes have been recovered with most averaging near .45 caliber in size. Many of the lead balls show clear signs of impacting after being fired as seen in the bottom row.

View attachment 1814878 View attachment 1814879
More evidence of the site being torched in the fighting. Charred pieces of wood were recovered while digging for musket balls and other targets. I've come upon several pieces of charred wood while digging.

View attachment 1814880
The piece of black colonial glass shows signs of being subjected to fire.

View attachment 1814881
Other finds from the site include cookware - pots hooks, copper pot fragment, and a pot lug handle.

View attachment 1814891 View attachment 1814892
A hammerhead, a 345 year-old hammerhead! - photos taken during preservation and after being completed. I've opted for a coating of Renaissance Wax for now, but will followup with a hot wax treatment in the near future.

Finally, the last image - I apologize for such a long-thread. While taking photos for this thread, I took a closer look at backside of the ingot with the view of the fiber weave seen earlier in this thread; it has a dark spot. Here's a super-macro image of what I thought was some form of dark minerialization in the lead patina.

View attachment 1814886

Actually it's a charred ember from the fiber weave of the ball pouch or from the burning dwelling. It settled into the molten lead and has remained preserved for nearly 3 & 1/2 centuries. It's a remarkable piece of history offering silent testimony of calamitous events during the early Colonial Period of America.

Be Safe and Good Hunting!

I don't mind the long post .

That's a great historic find (as you know ) thank you for teaching me the history lesson .

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow. Amazing story and finds. I'm glad this made banner. Great work on the research, finds and communicating the history and importance of your finds to us. Every detectorists dream! Finding real, tangible history that can be tied back to an important place and time.

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the encouragement offered on this thread supporting identification of the lead mass as remnants of a Native American ball pouch from the 17th century. Here’s an update:

I recently had the find examined by a professor of archaeology with extensive knowledge of 17th century sites in New England, especially Native American sites. He agreed that the find is indeed a Native American ball pouch from King Philip’s War of 1675-1676 with an impression of fiber weave. His identification differed only in the contents of the pouch, as he believes there was no lead ingot; rather, the entire pouch was full of musket balls which melted into one mass with the exception of the five remaining .40 caliber balls, which were situated uppermost in the pouch and away from the heat. It’s a unique find, as there’s nothing quite like it in offering insight on how Native Americans carried there ammunition in 17th century New England. No historical records offer details of native technology, the basket weave, being used to facilitate the use of English firearms.

The provenance of this find is noteworthy in its connection to King Philip’s War, which can be called America’s bloodiest war. Certainly, the Civil War was much deadlier with around 750,000 dead, but this figure equates to about 2.5% of the overall population. In comparison, the 9000 dead from King Philip’s War equated to just over 10% of New England’s overall population, estimated at around 80,000 English and Native Americans at the onset of the fighting. Two-thirds of the dead were Native Americans – they were the lucky ones. Many survivors were sold off to slavery for plantations in the Caribbean to offset some of the war costs.

Philip.jpg
The death of Wampanoag sachem "King Philip" Metacom signaled the end of the war and the demise of Native American presence in southern New England. The English soldier with his sights on King Philip lost his chance to shoot due to a fouled weapon. It was an Indian ally of the English troops that fired the fatal shot.

I’ve continued searching the site that produced the ball pouch and have recovered many more lead shot ranging from .30 to .60 caliber. The possible ash layer is more likely a sediment deposit, but I’ve recovered other finds from the 17th century. Here’s a few before and after photos for follow-up on a grub hoe, which I posted a while back as an adze. Electrolysis treatment revealed the more likely ID of a grub hoe.

P3260048.JPG
As found.

P4090020.JPG
After treatment.

I recently recovered an latten spoon bowl dating the 17th century. It’s in rough shape.

P5070024.JPG

I’m hoping that a long soak in mineral oil will provide a better view of the maker’s mark, which appears to include a heart design barely discernible in the photo. The whole site was likely scavenged for materials after being burnt to the ground. The dwelling area was not reoccupied and further recoveries may prove to be scant and hard to find, but I’ll keep looking. Its long-lost history from over 3 & ½ centuries ago is worth the pursuit.

Good Hunting!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and it has a story with it thats freakin cool Banner all day long and next year.....Congrats

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Banner for the professor of archaeology and one for the grub hoe too!

g

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for the professor of archaeology and one for the grub hoe too!

g

Agreed. While many archaeologist are opposed to metal detecting, there are some in the profession who know detectorists to be a valuable asset to their work under the proper guidelines.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a year old thread, but it is simply an amazing find.. My 7th Great Grandfather John Masten fought in the King Philip’s war..

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a year old thread, but it is simply an amazing find.. My 7th Great Grandfather John Masten fought in the King Philip’s war..

Thanks very much for your comment. I have recovered some additional finds from the site that produced the ball pouch. I held back on posting anything because I wanted to complete conservation work on the finds to provide before and after photos. This work is all finished so stay tuned. It's interesting to hear of your ancestor's role in King Philip's War. Do you know if he fought in any particular battles?

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry pal, I didn't know you responded to my post.. But no sir, I sure don't know any of the battles he fought in.. I wish I did..

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, thanks for the post and the history, amazing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions