Early-mid 1800s Homesite! 1837 Hard times token, LC, and buttons!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy! Went out for about two hours yesterday... just about NOTHING. Turns out I was in the wrong part of the field, sooooo... I redid my research and found the actual location of the early 1800s homesite on the property. The house showed up on a map in the 1850s but was gone by the 1870s so I think it must have been built pretty early on because why would you get rid of a new house am I right?

I went out for about 2 hours today as well and was much more fortunate, it took a while to find the first relic, but I spotted it right on top of the ground as soon as I heard the ACE 300's high toneโ€“music to my ears. :laughing7: The rest were fun to find and I was super excited about the token (I thought it was a largie till I brought it home, now I am even happier! I'll post a better picture of it tomorrow) It reads "Millions for Defense" and is from 1837.

I think the eagle button is a navy button from the early 1800s or a look-a-like but I don't know.

I think the item in the top right of the picture is an old button, I think I see where the shank was attached but I am confused about the indentation in the center of the obverse. Any ideas on a time period?

The other button is just a normal backmarked flat button but I have a question about the back mark, what I can read is "OVILL I? ?" and "WAT" so I think it is a Scovill manufactured button, but I cannot find much on the internet on Scovill backmarks like this that don't have "MF'G" on it.
IMG_2380.jpg IMG_2382.jpg

and here's for a few in the field shots...
IMG_2367.JPG IMG_2368.JPG

One more thing I found near another house site on the property... Not sure what it is yet.
IMG_2356.JPG IMG_2354.JPG

Thank y'all for reading and happy hunting! I am going back for more tomorrow!

Last edited:
Upvote 6

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Great detective work.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the bottom right hand picture you can see an up-side-down face on that 'coin like' thing.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the bottom right hand picture you can see an up-side-down face on that 'coin like' thing.

Thanks Cru! I definitely see what you are talking about, if you don't flip the picture it looks sort of like a fleur de lis.

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noah_D, that is one nice assortment of finds for 2 hours:hello2:

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day 2 @ Early-mid 1800s homesite

I went back for some more... here's another two hours worth and some pictures from the first hunt.

IMG_2364.JPG
1837 Hard Times token.

IMG_2361.JPG
Flat button on top of the ground.

IMG_2385.JPG
Small button with some sort of design on it.

IMG_2391.JPG
Everything from this hunt.

RenderedImage.JPG
Both hunts (4 hours)

I also spent close to an hour looking for a second site but didn't find too much. Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread