Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been driving the 45 miles to the scout camp as often as I can. The weather was good so today I made the drive and spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 at one of the camp sites. There are over 35 camp sites and I am slowly working my way around camp, gridding the sites and cleaning up. The camp has only been open for 40 years so not a lot of old stuff except for the occasional find from the old farm that was there first. Camp hunts are for pegs to return to camp, cool scout stuff that has been lost, money for gas and the fun of detecting.

Most of the finds are close to the surface so I only need a small trowel and a pinpointer to recover the finds the detector leads me to. Sometimes you brush the leaves aside and the items are right on the surface making for real fast recoveries.

This 6 hour hunt about one sixth of this site and produced 237 coins with a face value of $16.01, 59 Camp tent pegs, an order of the arrow neckerchief slide, what looks like a semi wadcutter, a copper jacket slug, 2 replica cob coins, an arrow of light pin, a Boy Scout slide, a Webelos slide, and a variety of sinkers. I also found 50 or 60 pieces of melted aluminum from the campfires, 3 can tabs and a few nails from old tent floorboards.

46164CE3-0133-45B1-A1B9-2342611DC7F8.jpeg 1AAAEACD-9C1A-4C51-B61B-560650E1FA97.jpeg

The OA slide is unusual. I’ve found well over 100 neckerchief slides and never one like this. It is from Kiasutha lodge 57 from the Pittsburg council. The lodge has had a number of names since 1931 and Kiasutta was used from 1967-1992.

3DE5A613-4542-4694-A38D-BA1CDD04179F.jpeg

So the camp still has a lot left to find even though I have already found tons of coins and over 10,000 of the Camp pegs. A fun day with more fun to come. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 13

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes! 237 coins!? Can’t say I’ve ever dug maybe close to 100 in a day, you certainly get with the program! Weather here is not cooperating, about the time the ground thinks about drying up we get pounded...with 2-3” coming tomorrow. And 10,000 tent pegs... Congrats on those great saves, the mix of new and old... Ddf.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the OA slide is a prestigious honor worn by selected scouts who complete an initiation weekend at a special camp. It stands for, The Order of the Arrow.
Congratulations

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You gotta love those boy scouts! I swear they all have holes in their pants pockets....not that that's a bad thing...

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the OA slide is a prestigious honor worn by selected scouts who complete an initiation weekend at a special camp. It stands for, The Order of the Arrow.
Congratulations

Yes you have to be elected into the Order of the Arrow. It is a brotherhood of honor campers and there are minimum requirements you must meet before you can be elected. You wear a special patch on your shirt pocket to show your membership and a sash with an arrow on it for special occasions. The neckerchief slide with the patch design on it is not a common item.

I became a member in 1963 and am a dues paying member still. Thanks and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread