Roman Metal Working Site - 55 Bronzes & 1 Roman SILVER +++.....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty windy with a number of small showers that included some hail, so I felt a little wind burn today, but nothing to put us off gridding 6 hours.
We are amazed at how much stuff is left, we gridded this area after the last deep plough & it's only had a 3 inch turn. However, it is drilled flat & wet underneath & we are picking up all the deep scratchy signals.:metaldetector:
Now the March Recording Count is complete we have smashed our best ever March Roman Bronze Count - 226 Coins. Previous best 98!

55 Roman Bronze Coins (2 Good ones, back to the usual ratio!)
RARE Roman Military Spur 8-)
Roman Ring Bezel
Roman Tweezers
Roman Bracelet bit
Roman Conical Mount (Cavalry?)
Roman Strap-End (broken in half)
2 Roman Brooches
Roman Balancing Arm for a Scale (bit of)
1/2 a Roman Bead
Celtic Brooch
Roman Siliqua of Honorius circa AD400.:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Robfinds.
Our area has one of the lowest figures in the Country thanks - nice try.:laughing7:
It seems people have lost all reason & Common Sense (including some of the Police), it's not me who is beyond reason, it's those that listen too much to the BBC & believe it.(We have a responsibility to educate ourselves with the facts from the right sources) I will continue to be sensible & not put anyone at risk.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great day and an incredible number of targets, both good and bad.
I have a question on Roman metal working in England. Was the metal ore mined and smelted in England, or was the raw metal provided by Rome to outposts like those in England for further processing into the various objects.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That (almost) complete spur is a survivor and quite a find! Stay safe, stay healthy, stay digging.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding day in the field! Congrats to the team. I have to look, as far as i remember i got one of these spurs too...great find! :headbang:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding as always, congrats! :notworthy:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice try with a juvenile emoji. You're just a man child.
Not sure if its cabin fever but trolling doesn't suit you. Maybe you should get out more.:metaldetector:

PS. Those in glass houses. I've seen how seriously you take the Treasure Act Laws, which by the way is punishable by Prison. Remember those that got 10 years, so not try & lecture me on Laws I'm following & your not.

Also, what happened to 'I won't bother you again'. This is yet another attack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great day and an incredible number of targets, both good and bad.
I have a question on Roman metal working in England. Was the metal ore mined and smelted in England, or was the raw metal provided by Rome to outposts like those in England for further processing into the various objects.
I've given this some thought.
I know this Metal Working Site shows evidence of starting in the Iron Age, maybe about 50BC, & didn't finish until the end of the Roman period 410AD.
I'm not aware of any nearby mines that they could economically ship the ore from. Therefore, I've concluded that it was mostly recycling old & broken bits & coins (maybe, as I think coins may have had to be done at Mints?) What I do have plenty of evidence of is artefacts that have been cut into small pieces ready for the pot.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've given this some thought.
I know this Metal Working Site shows evidence of starting in the Iron Age, maybe about 50BC, & didn't finish until the end of the Roman period 410AD.
I'm not aware of any nearby mines that they could economically ship the ore from. Therefore, I've concluded that it was mostly recycling old & broken bits & coins (maybe, as I think coins may have had to be done at Mints?) What I do have plenty of evidence of is artefacts that have been cut into small pieces ready for the pot.
I agree. Recycled metal makes the most sense.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding day in the field! Congrats to the team. I have to look, as far as i remember i got one of these spurs too...great find! :headbang:

Not sure if its cabin fever but trolling doesn't suit you. Maybe you should get out more.:metaldetector:

PS. Those in glass houses. I've seen how seriously you take the Treasure Act Laws, which by the way is punishable by Prison. Remember those that got 10 years, so not try & lecture me on Laws I'm following & your not.

Hi, Would be a good time to work together rather than think .about yourselves . Have you forgotten Winston Churchill''s famous WW 2 speech . WE WILL FIGHT .................................................................................... Grow Up

TP

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn those Lincoln cents are everywhere, hell even the Romans were trying to ditch them. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice saves. Sounds like someone is a little jealous.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
What a day that was! Fancy giving poor old worzel the virus ��

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day that was! Fancy giving poor old worzel the virus ��
I know he's losing his head, blaming me for putting Aunt Sally at risk.
Good to know your still active on here.:thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As always, another successful hunt by you and your Dad Cru. :thumbsup:
I can't imagine ever having to dig this much 'bronze junk' from one field, it must've drove you guys crazy!

My company has put us on one week on, one week off furlough for the months of April & May, so I hope to be doing a lot of detecting in the next few months. :laughing7:

Hope you and your Dad stay healthy out there,
Dave

Attachments

• Metal Workings.JPG
    Metal Workings.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 31

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all those pieces it looks like you're starting your very own smelting scrapyard.

Nice finds once again.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all those pieces it looks like you're starting your very own smelting scrapyard.

Nice finds once again.
Maybe I could make bronze art from 'authentic Roman period bronze'.....

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi, Would be a good time to work together rather than think .about yourselves . Have you forgotten Winston Churchill''s famous WW 2 speech . WE WILL FIGHT .................................................................................... Grow Up

TP

Hey Tinpan, what i have to do with that?
I didn't offend Crusader. We are close in our thinking about detecting etiquette, we both work together with the archies, detect with permission by the land owners and report our finds to the officials.

Please read and understand what you read before starting to throw stones at members.
I recommend post #12, especially the first line. (you know, thats what's right on top)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't offend Crusader. We are close in our thinking about detecting etiquette, we both work together with the archies, detect with permission by the land owners and report our finds to the officials.

Please read and understand what you read before starting to throw stones at members.
I recommend post #12, especially the first line. (you know, thats what's right on top)
It's hard sometimes but you best ignore him (or report him if necessary). He's on his final warning for attacking me in the past, so he is skating on thin ice.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Well l won't be selling you any more of my finds Cru. Was that the sound of breaming glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread