Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the Field of Dreams today ( where I found my 1809 8 reale) and it was a rollercoaster of a ride. My first find was a 1943 P War Nickel hey I’ll take that all day right, then it hit a small thin half real, dime size looking coin it had a little bend in it but my eyes where seeing a flowing hair bust. OMG a flowing hair dime!!! I was freaking out ran to the truck and got some water on it and it was a total bazinga!!Who could make such a perfectly round sliver looking thing.Actually looking under my microscope I bet it’s made of Antimony. Antimony was a brittle alloy that they made counterfeit coins in the mid 1800’s it was rather deep.And the reason why I know this is my first Seated Dime was a counterfeit of 1875. So after eating the humble pie I went back to swinging this time get a 14 on the 800 in between iron all day long but I punish myself all the time. Well what do you know another War Nickel 1943 P. Now hears where it gets interesting. My ocd kicks in and I have to get all the iron out Why? because I’m nuts and have a love/hat relationship with iron ion the white shells now and I have found 2 of my pride and joy ax heads in the shell mounds a1700’s Indian ax head and my tomahawk.So I go to work my shovel BIG RED go through red bricks like butter, shells etc. Im pulling out tons of iron and now I’m hitting oyster shells about a foot deep and still get a large iron something. A foot and a half later what started out to be a softball plug is now turning into a deep pit. I’m thinking 5% ax head 95% larger rusted piece of crap.Then there it is looking up at me A GOD DARN CANNONBALL!!! I was thinking is this real but I am a hundred yards away from a Fort. So yes my first Cannonball weighing in at 9.5 lbs. I took it over to my iron relic guru and he seems to think it a French cannonball because they where there when the Spanish told them get the hell outta here. I thought my grapeshot was amazing and still do,but when you’re pulling out a cannonball a foot and a half deep exhausted from fighting the shells it’s a incredible feeling. Never give up. My good buddy is doing electrolysis on it now and he already said a piece of the egg already cracked off he said it’s going to be beautiful.

Attachments

• image-2020-04-02-18:23:30-718.jpg
    image-2020-04-02-18:23:30-718.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 257
  • image-2020-04-02-18:22:40-650.jpg
    image-2020-04-02-18:22:40-650.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2020-04-02-18:42:29-215.jpg
    image-2020-04-02-18:42:29-215.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 56

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs btw... job well done... definitely a cannonball.

At least you are able to get out and detect and finding great stuff. :)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great digs btw... job well done... definitely a cannonball.

At least you are able to get out and detect and finding great stuff. :)

Yeah I went down to New Orleans where the great mayor decided to have Mardi Gras anyway and now the whole town’s dying.But I’m a very outgoing loner anyway, so I keep to myself.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from the looks of it ... you are "digging it all"...am I correct in that assumption ?

If so.. kudos.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from the looks of it ... you are "digging it all"...am I correct in that assumption ?

If so.. kudos.

AARC I’m an addict alcoholic and compulsive gambler quit all of that 16 years ago and it’s all manifested into this...Dig it all if you want to play with the big boys lol

I’m 50 I might as well do it now because in a couple of more years I not gonna be do that, but as of right now anybody that metal detects with me will tell you It looks like napalm happen lol I DIG ALOT. As a wise man said “I’m very lucky but it seems like the harder I work the luckier I get”

And AARC I’m coming off of a three month drought and I was still digging like that.Almost lost hope but like I said I would hustle like that years ago to get what I wanted so I still do it now

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Should I shorten the story I didn’t realize it was that long I don’t wanna bore anybody.

Ya sure .
Try to get the whole story down to just two words...:laughing7:

Now if those were my finds , you'd probably get a page a day for a week! (Or two.)

That site is , well , it's one of "them" sites that keeps folks goin. Even if they have not located one that comes even close.
Heck , I'm so fired up reading it you got me thinking I need batteries.
Shake the spiders and cobwebs off my detector.....Go get lost and bug bit and dehydrated. Then if you show up to take my batteries when I faint from heat exhaustion, I'll know I'm getting closer to such a site.:hello2:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Taladeganite

Feb 4, 2020
Antioch, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40/60/whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such an epic day for you... a freekin cannon ball?! I'm in awe. Congratulations!! :notworthy:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC I’m an addict alcoholic and compulsive gambler quit all of that 16 years ago and it’s all manifested into this...Dig it all if you want to play with the big boys lol

I’m 50 I might as well do it now because in a couple of more years I not gonna be do that, but as of right now anybody that metal detects with me will tell you It looks like napalm happen lol I DIG ALOT. As a wise man said “I’m very lucky but it seems like the harder I work the luckier I get”

And AARC I’m coming off of a three month drought and I was still digging like that.Almost lost hope but like I said I would hustle like that years ago to get what I wanted so I still do it now

Congratulations on a great cannonball. I have been lucky enough to find 2 a civil war 6 pounder and a British 4 pounder probably war of 1812.

You say you are 50 and may not be doing this in a couple of years, well I started when I was 52 and I will be 70 in a few weeks and I still dig hundreds of holes on a 5 or 6 hour hunt. So you still have a lot of time to keep tearing it up.

And your quote about the harder you work the luckier you get has proven to be true over and over again. The ones who work the hardest find the must.

Great story, terrific finds so keep swingin.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Should I shorten the story I didn’t realize it was that long I don’t wanna bore anybody.

Hell NO! A person would have to be illiterate to not feel the excitement in that post. Leave it as it is. The emotion comes through just right.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Dam son!! That is tenacity!! I would have said ( LANGUAGE), it’s an engine block(; I dig a lot of crap to but I find a lot of cool stuff with junk!! Keep at it brother!! I’ve had as many as three 4 gallon buckets full rolling around in the back of my truck. A couple spots I dig, if you don’t dig a signal with a slight high tone and a giant iron grunt, you’ll be missing out on a lot of great stuff!

Attachments

• DA4DA5A2-4825-4A27-BCBA-F5C7C8E07278.jpeg
    DA4DA5A2-4825-4A27-BCBA-F5C7C8E07278.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread