🥇 BANNER Giant pocket spill or small cache...you decide!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning fellow diggers,

I was poking around in the woods yesterday, trying to get some quality detecting time in before the rain. I was way off trail when I came upon a very solid, very loud signal that sounded too good to pass up. After a little probing, I discovered that the signal was directly under a very large, flat rock. With a little effort I was able to flip the rock over, and pin-point the target. Long story, short the target turned out to be the world's biggest pocket spill, or a cache of coins hidden by someone back around 1920.

008.JPG 001.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG

There were 13 Buffalo nickels, 3 Liberty nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 2 Mercury dimes,

010.JPG 012.JPG 014.JPG

3 Barber quarters, and 1 Standing Liberty quarter

019.JPG 020.JPG

I can't quite describe how exciting it was to see all of these coins come out of the ground! Thanks for looking! Scott

Upvote 174
OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone! It's great fun to hear from T-Net members from all over the US and the world. What a great community! The rain has finally stopped here in Massachusetts, so I will be back out to that spot later today to scan over, around, under every rock I can find...you just never know! Scott

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it to be a Depression era cache. Times were tough and cash was tight. This stash amounted to a sizable amount of money to someone at that time, and your recovery is a powerful reminder of that difficult time. Its no coincidence that so many caches posted on TNET feature coins with similar dates.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a stash cache those are the kind of finds I love they dont come along very often but they do thats enough to make up for a couple dud hunts Great find

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Daaaaaaaaamn son, that’s awesome!!!!!!! Congrats!! If that was me, it would be all memorial cents (;

Attachments

• CB79EEFA-DF6B-4B1C-A537-38138B56ABD2.jpeg
    CB79EEFA-DF6B-4B1C-A537-38138B56ABD2.jpeg
    981.5 KB · Views: 53

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for the cache theory as well. Where there is one there is another. I would hunt that entire area for another. 2 days pay. Lots of buriers did not bury it all in one spot in case it was discovered. Hunt away! If you can pin point a center like a house a well or a very large tree Make sure you hunt a radius from that point. I also vote banner. Small value but a truly rare find.
I can't imagine finding 13 beefalos in one spot? Wowy

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool and had to have been a real thrill to pull all those coins out of one hole .

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, don't we all hope to make a find like this in the woods! :occasion14:

I agree this find is worthy of a BANNER, submitting my nomination now.

Dave

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with cache what an exciting find to make! Congrats on it all! I think my best silver spill has been 3 silvers!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I vote for the cache theory as well. Where there is one there is another. I would hunt that entire area for another. 2 days pay. Lots of buriers did not bury it all in one spot in case it was discovered. Hunt away! If you can pin point a center like a house a well or a very large tree Make sure you hunt a radius from that point. I also vote banner. Small value but a truly rare find.
I can't imagine finding 13 beefalos in one spot? Wowy

Great advice Randy! :thumbsup:

Congratulations on achieving your first BANNER Scott... it certainly took it's sweet time climbing it's way to the top of the screen. :laughing7:

Dave

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all! This " Banner" award means a lot to me. It represents a lot of time in the field, and a lot of holes in the ground. I wish everyone good hunting!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this thread and went back to read it again. I took a closer look at the photo showing the flat rock under which the coins were buried. It appears there is a huge tree trunk adjacent to the hole. The tree appears to be well over a hundred years old. These two clues really confirm a cache. I'll bet that tree was the "marker" originally used to identify the site of the flat stone and cache.
attachment.php

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have dreams of this moment...ahh but the dreams we have. Congratulations.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt! Congrats!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007