Ancient Coin at Ancient Cabin Site (Inspirational Post about John Walter Added)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Yo, Tnet Forum zoysters, I got out today with "Bone Dry Detecting" to a Colonial cabin site that I had researched for a month or two or three.

Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, I was swinging with Mr. Walter style sweeps, when I was startled with a "P" on "Penny" hit on my analog meter. I dug down, plopped some ancient soil down, and since my pinpointer's battery died, I had to call KirkPA over for some help. He handed me his pinpointer and while I acted like Mr. Walter, I got the "vibration" in the soil and plucked out a King George III coppa. I said to KirkPA, "It's a coin. It's a Colonial! It's a King George!" We proceeded to slap "high-fives" and then I yelled out, "Colonial!" The "Bone Dry Detecting" celebration soon started to proceed.

To end the day, the zoyster ended up with 6 buttons, 2 musketballs, 1 KGIII coppa (my 3rd Colonial for the year), and 1 big metal detecting smile.

I know Mr. Walter would be proud of my style.

KGIII009.jpg

zoyster

Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ancient Coin at Ancient Cabin Site

Nice finds there Zoy...you guys are in a great spot!

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Zoy, you are kicking some butt lately with that 90s style analog machine! It was awesome to see you recover that KGIII in front of my metal detecting eyes.

Great job on the relics, too! :-*

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Zoy. Sounds like a great site. Congrats on the K G III. I wish I could have been out today but I had to work. :( I was just saying to Kirk yesterday that you guys were due for some colonials.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Evolution said:
Way to go Zoy. Sounds like a great site. Congrats on the K G III. I wish I could have been out today but I had to work. :( I was just saying to Kirk yesterday that you guys were due for some colonials.

Thanks, buddy, you gave us some good luck. My coppa was a thrill to find even though it was heavily corroded. Gotta love historic PA soil! :D

Rob, NOW, you are due for some Colonials! ;) :D

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Evolution said:

KirkPA and I were talking about how you wished us luck in finding some Colonials today! Thanks, bud!

Zoyster: 11 coppas
Evolution: 8.5 coppas

You are now due for another Colonial, bud!

zoyster

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Zoy, How much detail does the other side of that coin have? You know us coppafiles like to see both sides of the coppas right? ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Evolution said:

Thanks, buddy, you gave us some good luck. My coppa was a thrill to find even though it was heavily corroded. Gotta love historic PA soil! :D

Rob, NOW, you are due for some Colonials! ;) :D
Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, I wont be able to get out again until Thurs. or Fri. whichever is better weatherwise. I really envy you guys for having 3 nice sites to hit. (thanks to Zoy's research) I'm gonna hit the library and rack my brains this winter to see if I can get some fresh new spots for next year. The spot I'm at now might produce again next year if they plow it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that. I'm still looking forward to Paco's post from last hunt and Vpones from this one. Did Paco hunt with you today?

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Evolution said:
Hey Zoy, How much detail does the other side of that coin have? You know us coppafiles like to see both sides of the coppas right? ;D

The back of the coin is a slug.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KirkPA said:
Evolution said:

The back of the coin is a slug.
Oh well, I guess they cant all look like those coronets you've been digging lately. ;D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zoy, if ole' KG would of known you and the rest of the Bone Dry's were going to be finding all of his coppa's, he would of made them smaller & harder to find :D

Cool stuff!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

watercolor said:
Zoy, if ole' KG would of known you and the rest of the Bone Dry's were going to be finding all of his coppa's, he would of made them smaller & harder to find :D

Cool stuff!
Either that or he would have put a picture of Zoy and Kirk on the back of them ;D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
watercolor said:

Cool stuff!
Either that or he would have put a picture of Zoy and Kirk on the back of them ;D

Hmmm. . . now that WOULD be interesting, I wonder. . . :D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Evolution said:
watercolor said:

Cool stuff!

LMFAO!

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dude, like i said in kirk's post, you guys rock - it was alot of fun today
couldn't ask for better hunting partners, always exciting - i like how we take turns, you and kirk pulled two coppa's the first time out, paco and i pulled coins the next time and now you guys pull 2 more !

all together i've seen you guys pull 5 old coppas now in three trips out with you ... unreal !
i didn't have the greatest luck today, you know i was having a bad day when i pull a memorial cent in the middle of a colonial site !!!!!!!! but hey i got some buttins and it was exciting seeing your coins

my coppa turn will be comign soon, i can feel it !

thanks again zoy, and great research this week, i think we have this new site nailed down !

vp

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

vpone said:
dude, like i said in kirk's post, you guys rock - it was alot of fun today
couldn't ask for better hunting partners, always exciting - i like how we take turns, you and kirk pulled two coppa's the first time out, paco and i pulled coins the next time and now you guys pull 2 more !

all together i've seen you guys pull 5 old coppas now in three trips out with you ... unreal !
i didn't have the greatest luck today, you know i was having a bad day when i pull a memorial cent in the middle of a colonial site !!!!!!!! but hey i got some buttins and it was exciting seeing your coins

my coppa turn will be comign soon, i can feel it !

thanks again zoy, and great research this week, i think we have this new site nailed down !

vp

Yo, Kevin, we are warming you up. You are due to strike one or two or three in one day...;)...if we can obtain permission for that new site.

I can't wait for next Sunday! We should excavate some more Colonial artifacts.

zoyster

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Fantastic. It's nice when the research pays off. Congrats

OP
OP
Colonial Zoyboy

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

KenPa said:
Fantastic. It's nice when the research pays off. Congrats

Thanks, Kenster, for the reply. I take great pride in my research, bud!

zoyster

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Hey Zoy, looks like your rasearch payed off again for you....you are a pro, man!!!

Congrats on your KGIII Coppa, along with all your other ooooldd relics.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread