Finds from old homestead & Help with i.d.s

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Finds from old homestead & Help with i.d.'s

There is this old homestead site that dates back to 1860. It has been torn down and the dozers have been taking the top 12 to 24" of soil to make way for a dentist office. I pulled these gems from the dirt and need help with i.d.'s please.

The first is a button both front and back. Seems to be make out of copper and has a floral design. Along side of it is an ornate object, cylindrical with carvings on it. It does not open and has writing on it that says Cody New York. The last item is a small copper, what I call a frying pan with a lid. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• button front.JPG
    button front.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 623
  • button back.JPG
    button back.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 629
  • pan.JPG
    pan.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finds from old homestead & Help with i.d.'s

Don't know what they are. You might try posting over at the, Whatsit thread.

Good work though.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Any chance that tube says "Coty" rather than "Cody"? Looks like a small lipstick tube.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

How big is that little pan? Could it have been some sort of pill box? Can't really say for sure...not knowing it's size...maybe some sort of "designer" thing for powder or something? Wow...neat finds though!!! Go back....probably lots more of interesting items yet to be discovered!

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used

PBK said:
Any chance that tube says "Coty" rather than "Cody"? Looks like a small lipstick tube.

Yes! It does say Coty and not Cody... So you say it is a lipstick tube eh? I tried opening it but it will not open. What do you think as far as age goes?

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used

Ron and Ann said:
How big is that little pan? Could it have been some sort of pill box? Can't really say for sure...not knowing it's size...maybe some sort of "designer" thing for powder or something? Wow...neat finds though!!! Go back....probably lots more of interesting items yet to be discovered!

The pan is about an inch and a half diameter. It looks to have burn marks on the lid portion so I thought it might be some sort of incense holder. At first I thought it was for a doll house but the hinged lid kind of steered me away from that notion.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Clad 2 meet u said:
Ron and Ann said:

The pan is about an inch and a half diameter. It looks to have burn marks on the lid portion so I thought it might be some sort of incense holder. At first I thought it was for a doll house but the hinged lid kind of steered me away from that notion.

I noticed that burnt area after I made my post and looked at it again....have no idea, but I am sure someone on this Awesome Forum will have an answer!!! It has a hole in the handle...wonder if it hung up on something or on a chain for a necklace....hmmm..that is an interesting piece and I like it!!! Don't you love a good mystery? :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I think the little pan thing was a folding purse mirror and the lid contained powder or rouge

Dunky

Feb 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter LandStar

Maybe the pan is a bed warmer? You'd fill it with coals and slip it between the sheets before you got in bed. I've heard of them, but don't know how large or small they made them.

Oh goodness! I didn't see that it is only an inch and a half! Seems to small to be a bed warmer. ;D O dunno!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Another possibility is that the miniature frying pan is one of the many souvenir/novelty "frying pan" items from the Pan-American Exposition (world's fair) held in Buffalo, NY in 1901. If so, I would expect it to be embossed or engraved, but it could have had just a painted or paper label or some sort of insert.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

What does the lid next to the small pan look like on the reverse?

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used

gypsyheart said:
What does the lid next to the small pan look like on the reverse?

Nothing special Gypsy... No markings, just the clasp area where it attaches to the pan portion.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dunky said:
Maybe the pan is a bed warmer? You'd fill it with coals and slip it between the sheets before you got in bed. I've heard of them, but don't know how large or small they made them.

Oh goodness! I didn't see that it is only an inch and a half! Seems to small to be a bed warmer. ;D O dunno!

I had exactly the same thought process as you. Bed warmer but abit small.

HAND WARMER?

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Cool finds Greg, the frying pan thing a nice find and is in good shape. It must be brass.
I like the insense burner theory.

Did you get any coins yet from the site?

:)

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Clad 2 meet u said:
Yes! It does say Coty and not Cody... What do you think as far as age goes?

Just a guess... maybe c. 1930's, as the design on the side of the tube has a sort of Art Deco look. Could be a bit later, however.

Coty, Inc., founded in France by Francois Coty in 1904, is still a major cosmetics and fragrances company. It first expanded its operations to New York and London in 1912.

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used

Bobby,

Only coin I found so far was a 1925 wheat. A few other detectorists had the privledge of detecting right next door a few years back when a new vet clinic was being built and pulled so old large copper and some indians. They say it's real strange that nothing has been found pre 1900 yet. Most of the topsoil has been trucked away (sure wish I knew where it ended up) with all the good stuff I think.

Thanks PBK for the lipstick info... I can't for the life of me get that bugger opened!

I don't think it was a hand warmer because there isn't a clasp to hold the lid on Crusader. I'm stumped!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread