Silver rings during hunt plus found and returned a purse today

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It was beautiful here in Michigan this weekend. Unfortunately, I had to attend funeral proceedings Thursday thru Saturday for my relative, 32 years old, who passed away suddenly earlier this week. So very sad it was. :'(

This morning I did manage to get out and hunt two schools. After the hunt, a long hard day out there, lots of digging, I came home and took a nap. After that, I got up and went grocery shopping. After I finished shopping, I went out to my truck to load my groceries and in the shopping cart caddie near my truck, I noticed a purse that someone had obviously left in their cart by mistake. I stood around for a while but no one came to claim it. I snached it up and headed back inside. As I was walking in, I took a peak inside and it was a nurses purse. There was a checkbook, about a dozen credit cards, and a wallet with some cash in it... don't know how much. I took it to the Service desk and turned it in intact and didn't steal any of the lady's stuff. The gal at the service desk said a lady had just called a few minutes ago all frantic asking if anyone had turned in her purse. She left her number so the gal was going to call her. I was glad to be able to help another person out today and I am sure she was relieved to get it back. I did not have my camera, so no photo of the purse, sorry.

I had a fun hunt this morning. The weather was perfect. Maybe the last hunt of the year, you never know this time of year for us. It is supposed to snow here this week, so I was really glad to get out. The first school was mostly a bust. I did mange one bent up ring hallmarked 925, with a flower design and a few coins. The second school was great. The woodchips were so so but there was a lot of nice grassy areas to cover, Several soccer fields. It was an older school, 1950's I think so I was finding some nice older items. Lot's of digging but it was worth it, tons of targets, coins, and goodies. I got another ring hallmarked Sterling, a signet type ring with no initial. Also popped out two silver coins, a 1962D quarter and a 1944 Mercury dime and 9 wheatbacks. One religious medallian also. Lot's of cool keepers today!!

Keepers Nov 4.jpg

Another cool find was a large German coin found on one of the soccer fields. A 2 Mark coin from 1974, a commemorative coin about the size of a half dollar, that says 1949-1969 on the front.

2 Mark F.jpg
2 mark B.jpg

So I hunted about 7 hours total and dug a lot of stuff.
250 coins for a face value of $22.60. Only 100 pennies plus 54 quarters and 57 dimes.
My coin total today put me over the 9000 coin mark for the season!!

Other finds included 3 junque rings, a few pendants/fobs things, two cub scout neckerchiefs, some cool older things, and a really interesting pocket knife thing. I also got 3 other foriegn coins including a chinese one.

All in all, a great day today. Lots of smiles!! I hope yours was a good one too, thanks for reading. HH!!

BDoo

Attachments

• 04NOV07 T.jpg
    04NOV07 T.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 04NOV07 F.jpg
    04NOV07 F.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,023
Upvote 0

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry to hear about your relative Bdoo, glad you got out some to relax and congrats on your finds and on the good deed of returning the purse ;)

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil
Great day with the silver and foreign coins. That woman will be so glad you found her purse and returned it. Did you find any zipper pulls today?

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss.

Also, I admire you for being honest and turning in that purse. Not to many folks like you left in the world.

Great finds!! :o I work part time at a college that has been here since 1856 and today I got permission to MD on campus and one of the first places I'm going to is the soccer fields.
HH,
Ed

rcawdorswife

Aug 26, 2007
My condolences to you on your loss. :-[

Good job on returning the purse. My purse is like my security blanket as well as an assault weapon with all the change in the bottom. ;D

RCW

PS I FOUND A ZIPPER PULL TODAY !! My very first one. ;)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heartfelt sympathy to you on the death of your relative. Glad you took the time out to relax and relieve some stress...great finds. Plus your good deed of the day helping return a lost purse. WTG!

;) RR

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
I recently did the funeral thing as well. There's no way of sugarcoating it, funerals are just sad. I too found a woman's purse, this one on Main Street of my small hometown, drenched from the night's previous rain. It had a checkbook, credit cards, some change. I turned it into the police department, where the dispatcher said she knew the owner. That's the fourth purse/wallet I turned in during the last few years.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby am so sorry on your families loss... but am also glad you got out for a bit...holey cow, as usual you did fantastic hunting.... and you know your one of my favorite hunters...My tot lot hero..so heres to ya... one very nice honest man.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the funeral, very nice hunt and if you don't mind the temps, we should be able to dig for another week or so....I've MD'ed while snow was whipping in my face with temps of 20 degrees. (that wasn't even the last hunt)

I haven't been posting because i've been in a good finds slump since the end of august, no silver, no jewelry(except a very tiny gold fish), and very few relics. However, i did get a trio of wheats yesterday and i'm looking into a new place to hunt

HH
-GC

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very sorry for your loss...

Great group of finds as usual, WTG!!!
I dig that little flower ring...
& shush,,, your too close to me to be talking about the "S" word... ;D

Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Nice thing to do, returning that purse!! Congrats on the silver and a great overall day!! Sorry to hear about your young relative, very sad!!

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
weasel606 said:
sorry to hear about your relative Bdoo, glad you got out some to relax and congrats on your finds and on the good deed of returning the purse ;)

Thanks Weas!! It was a fun day and beautiful weather too.
Returning the purse was a no brainer as if I lost my wallet, I would hope it would get returned.

:)

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Bobby, Condolences bud! So young too... :'(

Glad to see your still swinging and still pulling in the bling and cha-ching! I hit a few local area tot lots and my old relic area. Not much to show so I didn't post the clad or trinkets.

I did post on some relics though, hope you got a chance to see-um. Maybe you can shed some light on my button and mini frypan.

Kindest Regards,

Greg (C2MU)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
WTG Bobbydoo, great going on the Silver and the other finds. Thanks for sharing.

HH

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds BDoo..and sorry about your loss. It's always tougher when people pass away so young.

Anyway nice variety of finds..I have a butterfly knife similar to that, I used to be good at flipping it around from a closed position to expose the blade. And those Wolf neckerchief slides..I have a whole collection of 'em..you'd think at recess they'd just not wear that part of the uniform, but kids don't think about it.

Nice return of the purse..of all the people to find it, it was good someone like you discovered it or that woman might have been in big trouble.

Hope you get in a couple more hunts..take care and congrats on a great year.

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread