Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greeting Fellow Diggers!

I was able to get out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon, and explored a section of woods close to home. About an hour into the hunt, I got a very solid high tone that rang in at about an "84". That typically translates into a dime, given the program I'm running on my Deus. Much to my surprise, out pops this beauty

008.JPG 009.JPG

The coin is about 28 mm in diameter, and weighs about 8.8 grams. Based on what I can see, I believe this is a KG II half penny

I continued on detecting for another hour, and ventured into a pretty swampy area. Came across a nice high tone, and after digging down through about 8 inches of muck, I pulled out this strange looking character

001.JPG

Time has not been kind to this coin. It took a fair amount of cleaning to reveal a 1964 Washington quarter. This has to be the ugliest silver quarter I've ever pulled out of the ground. Here it is next to the KG II.

012.JPG

Not a bad day of detecting! Thanks for taking a look. Scott.

Upvote 21

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sivlermonkey congrats on the excellent finds! I believe that you have a Connecticut copper which in my mind is better than a KGII. It was most likely modeled after the KGII which explains the similarity. Look on the left side of the coin it says Auctori not Georgius.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the patina tone!
Jon
8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the ID xcopperstax!!! I clearly did not give it enough of a look. I am thrilled to have found a CT copper... that's a first for me. I did find a Mass copper several years back, but it was in pretty rough shape. This is much better! I hope everyone can get out there and practice "social distancing" with good effect. Afterall, we are all experts....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread