Found door in 1910 house

Sally

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this door in the attic of a 1910 house. Since it was up there for who know how long, it has cracks in it and I’m going to restore it. Does anyone know what era this is from? I need to get new hardware and was to get age appropriate or if have you, repro, it need help identifying what era it came from. Thanks! 2767FAE5-D3D5-458B-9DF0-7487E3F4740E.jpeg 2DE7F830-E87F-41DE-B39E-CEB23A2DEACA.jpeg

Upvote 7

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion, it looks just like doors I've seen in Home Depot back in the 1990's

OP
OP
S

Sally

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion, it looks just like doors I've seen in Home Depot back in the 1990's

I’d be fine with that too. I kept it because I like the spider web design in the center. The door is all solid wood and really heavy, and has floating panels, so that’s what makes me think older.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sally

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool door,, but if it is so heavy,, why would you put it in the attic??

I have idea why the previous people put it in the attic, or how, because it’s verrrry heavy. Just me moving it around the garage to get it set up to work on was a chore.

OP
OP
S

Sally

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool door !!! Congrats!!!

Thanks! I’ve been searching google for days and I can’t find another door like it and what led me to this site was someone posted a spider web lead glass oval that they took from a demo. I think they said the place was about 1880-1930 (if I remember correctly). I’m just trying to find an approximate age to get proper hardware once I’m done restoring it.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks older than 1990's. All that fitted beveled glass..
Very nice door!

OP
OP
S

Sally

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s some detail shots of that helps C7AA8218-45DC-47BD-8BDA-43B9221EEF48.jpg 8C5A36B8-90C5-441C-A366-D618D36BC59A.png

OP
OP
S

Sally

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks older than 1990's. All that fitted beveled glass..
Very nice door!

And the trim is more detailed than normal trim (I just posted close up photo of it from when I was sanding off wood filer from the cracks)

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know the wood species? Is that brown paint or is it mahogany? If it is mahogany, it is Honduran and is a very nice door.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great door and looks like a real find. Keep us updated on the restoration.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what's going to turn up in the attic...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a modern door to me, complete with modern .deadbolt and modern handle. They just may not have liked the style and didn’t know what to do with the door.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might agree with the modern responses if I only saw the inside, but from the look of the outside, I believe it is period to the house itself, replaced at some point, put in the attic where the heat during the summers severely dried the wood causing the checking in the panels. Analysis of the paint on the bottom layers would tell a big part of the story.

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks almost identical to the door on my current 1989 house. The thing is, I'm sure these modern doors are copying a style from the past. The devil will be in the details on this one.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question seems to be if it is vintage or a modern reproduction/imitation. I'm leaning towards more modern (+- 50 years) based on the interior lock set, but more info would be helpful.

What is the thickness of the door at the edge? (1-3/4", 2-1/4", etc.)
We need closeup images of the edges and of the "leaded" material used for edging the beveled glass. Top, bottom, and sides of the door.

Locks may have been added/changed at any time. Older mortise type locks could have been filled and re-drilled and would probably only bee seen by you with a close examination as you are sanding the paint. Take a minute to sand all the way to the bare wood to see if you can see and wooden "plugs" or fillers for an older mortise lock set.

Interlocking copper weather stripping was in use in the 40's(?) through 60's on some homes for keeping drafts down.

ps. Gold Maven, your link goes the the Colorodo DOT Webcam site. Interesting but no woodworking tools there I could see.

EDIT: Even an image of the hinge with a ruler next to it for scale would help.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread