FOUND! CACHE OF 5 SILVER INGOTS!!

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gentlemen,

Today I found a cache of 5 Silver Ingots weighing a total of 5.5 lbs! It was less than a foot deep. 20200514_143824.jpg

INGOT DETAILS
1. 0.85 lbs. 1.750 inches diameter​
2. 1.25 lbs. 1.850 inches diameter​
3. 1 lb. 1.755 inches diameter​
4. 0.90 lbs. 1.70 inches diameter​
5. 1.30 lbs. 1.92 inches diameter​
Total Combined Weight of 5.5 lbs.

Has anyone ever seen Silver ingots like this? I wanted to confirm if they are Silver but due to the COVID-19 all the pawn shops seem to be closed. All I know is that they are very heavy size. Non-metalic (magnet doesn't stick). Possibly even PLATINUM?? LOL.. wishful thinking.

Can anyone help me identify this rusty can they were buried in?

Thanks in advance.
TW

Attachments

• 20200514_142546x1000.jpg
    20200514_142546x1000.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200514_142629x1000.jpg
    20200514_142629x1000.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200514_152545x1000.jpg
    20200514_152545x1000.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200514_153149x1000.jpg
    20200514_153149x1000.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 40

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how the Wilson can use still kickin around.

As far as far fetched posts go, this one has some meat on the bone!

Really hoping They are the treasure you seek !

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking at the condition of the can, silver would have been tarnished, no?

Those balls are bright!

specific gravity test will get you pretty close to the composition.

Looking at the can for comparision, a tennis ball is 2.7" dia, so those look like 2" diameter balls

Look up zinc balls...these are 2" balls (450 to 500 grams each) That equals between 5 and 5.5 pounds
Zinc_Balls.jpg

That amount of silver would weigh a little over 8 pounds.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured they should be black with tarnish too.....or at least have some rust from the can staining them. Maybe someone cast them to make some custom shift lever knobs? :dontknow:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured they should be black with tarnish too.....or at least have some rust from the can staining them. Maybe someone cast them to make some custom shift lever knobs? :dontknow:
I do need a shift knob since you brought it up. lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen,

Today I found a cache of 5 Silver Ingots weighing a total of 5.5 lbs! It was less than a foot deep. View attachment 1833745

INGOT DETAILS
1. 0.85 lbs. 1.750 inches diameter​
2. 1.25 lbs. 1.850 inches diameter​
3. 1 lb. 1.755 inches diameter​
4. 0.90 lbs. 1.70 inches diameter​
5. 1.30 lbs. 1.92 inches diameter​
Total Combined Weight of 5.5 lbs.

Has anyone ever seen Silver ingots like this? I wanted to confirm if they are Silver but due to the COVID-19 all the pawn shops seem to be closed. All I know is that they are very heavy size. Non-metalic (magnet doesn't stick). Possibly even PLATINUM?? LOL.. wishful thinking.

Can anyone help me identify this rusty can they were buried in?

Thanks in advance.
TW

Cool ! keep me updated on What ya Find Out

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking at the condition of the can, silver would have been tarnished, no?

Those balls are bright!

specific gravity test will get you pretty close to the composition.

Looking at the can for comparision, a tennis ball is 2.7" dia, so those look like 2" diameter balls

Look up zinc balls...these are 2" balls (450 to 500 grams each) That equals between 5 and 5.5 pounds
View attachment 1833833

That amount of silver would weigh a little over 8 pounds.
Zinc makes the most sense to me.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems the easy way to tell is what did it read VDI on your detector. I hope its a precious metal that would be an amazing find. Tommy

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, a metal detector CANNOT tell you what kind of metal you have. Pretty much any large target will give a "silver" signal. Detectors merely measure the conductivity of the earth below the machine and look for anomalies which are caused by conductive materials like metal. Most detectors then use a computer program to determine what the target is made of but the program is based on coin sized objects so it is really just guessing as to what the target is made of. Any large piece of iron, aluminum, copper, even zinc will give detectors a "silver" target ID. I agree with Cru that the items look like zinc (which by the way can easily be as hard as silver).

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hoping they are silver. But silver is very hard so the sprue would have to be cut while its still fairly hot. Really neat find I wonder why they were cast in balls like that. Perhaps that was a mold for a small canon???

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh you can buy Silver Test solution pretty cheap. On silver it turns red, Low grade silver (a lot of Mexican Jewelry is closer to .750 even when marked Sterling or .925) Will turn red then green. The solution does go bad after a while and stops working (usually turns dark form the Red color of new solution). That would be a pretty sure way to find it out. Here is an ebay link to the stuff you need. ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Tes...091697?hash=item4acba3d531:g:zesAAOSwf-VWYyfG ) WEAR GLOVES when you use it. it and the other acids will blister or burn your skin. They also have gold acid test kits on ebay as well. For gold you'll need on with a test stone (usually frosted black glass).

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, wierd!
Great find, though....
There are other ways to test for silver, without damaging them.
What does your machine say on one of them...?
The can doesn't look too old, but if those are silver - that's plenty of money...!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, a metal detector CANNOT tell you what kind of metal you have. Pretty much any large target will give a "silver" signal. Detectors merely measure the conductivity of the earth below the machine and look for anomalies which are caused by conductive materials like metal. Most detectors then use a computer program to determine what the target is made of but the program is based on coin sized objects so it is really just guessing as to what the target is made of. Any large piece of iron, aluminum, copper, even zinc will give detectors a "silver" target ID. I agree with Cru that the items look like zinc (which by the way can easily be as hard as silver).
I didnt realize how big those were. Hope we can find out what they are very interesting find for sure

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find, I sure hope the mystery is solve soon. :icon_thumleft:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not Zinc. Based on his measurements and weights, it can not be Zinc (unless they are hollow). Zinc weighs only .258 pounds per cubic inch. So, on his 1.850 diameter ball: 3.32 CI x .258= .857 pounds yet it weighed 1.25 lbs, which is dead nuts on Silver at .379 pound per CI. It could be lead too if its not uniformly round or overly porous as lead comes in at .41 per CI. Assuming they aren't hollow and are uniformly round, it can't be aluminum, magnesium, Zinc, nickel, Titanium, iron, tin etc. These balls are far too heavy for those metals.

Note: Ingot 1 seems to be an outlier weight wise. Math says it should weigh 1.06lbs, but comes in at .85. Perhaps air pockets or its not uniformly round? All 4 others weights are consistent with silver or secondly, lead.

Last edited:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly! I don't know how many times I've fallen for that, get a sweet high tone, good pretty much consistent dime, quarter, half dollar readings relatively shallow while swinging. In pinpoint mode I'm lead to believe coin at say 2 1/2" down. At 6 or 7 inches I unearth a flattened aluminum beverage can. Fell for it twice Monday this week in an old abandoned house yard, will fall for it again I'm sure. Misshapen,heavy melted metal from a house fire on a former home site the same way, grrrh.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this... so I am late to the party.

IF those were silver they would be black as night. *** IMO

With that said... I would be VERY careful handling them until you know exactly what you are holding.

There are other metals which would resist corrosion / tarnish... one of which would be white gold of course.

Silver is ruled out simple by the lack of tarnish... but something of more value is now in the sights.

Just hoping what you have found is not an element that was put there to "dispose" of due to dangers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread