FOUND! CACHE OF 5 SILVER INGOTS!!

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gentlemen,

Today I found a cache of 5 Silver Ingots weighing a total of 5.5 lbs! It was less than a foot deep. 20200514_143824.jpg

INGOT DETAILS
1. 0.85 lbs. 1.750 inches diameter​
2. 1.25 lbs. 1.850 inches diameter​
3. 1 lb. 1.755 inches diameter​
4. 0.90 lbs. 1.70 inches diameter​
5. 1.30 lbs. 1.92 inches diameter​
Total Combined Weight of 5.5 lbs.

Has anyone ever seen Silver ingots like this? I wanted to confirm if they are Silver but due to the COVID-19 all the pawn shops seem to be closed. All I know is that they are very heavy size. Non-metalic (magnet doesn't stick). Possibly even PLATINUM?? LOL.. wishful thinking.

Can anyone help me identify this rusty can they were buried in?

Thanks in advance.
TW

Attachments

• 20200514_142546x1000.jpg
    20200514_142546x1000.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 220
  • 20200514_142629x1000.jpg
    20200514_142629x1000.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200514_152545x1000.jpg
    20200514_152545x1000.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200514_153149x1000.jpg
    20200514_153149x1000.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 40

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like silver to me. I wonder if somebody smelted some silver electrical contacts. I live near Pueblo, Colorado and it is an old precious smelter town from the mining heydays of Colorado. I have found gold, zinc, silver,etc. metal detecting and those balls look silver. Like I have posted previously, I would have an XRF analysis done by a reputable precious metals dealer.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can all speculate until "the cows come home" until the metal is examined with scientific analysis, speculation is all it is .

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can all speculate until "the cows come home" until the metal is examined with scientific analysis, speculation is all it is .

Actually, I didn't speculate, I used science. There are only two metals with that atomic weight, are non magnetic and silverish in color: Silver and lead

My post from earlier:

Weight of silver can vary, depending on the density of the casting, but roughly .379 pounds per Cubic Inch.

So take the diameter of your balls, figure the volume in CI and multiply by .379 and whola!

So your 1.850 diameter ball has a CI volume of 3.32 x .379 = 1.258 pounds and you measured it at 1.25 so it appears to be silver. Though lead comes in at .41 per CI, so it is close and given that the spheres are of unknown porosity and perhaps not perfectly round and the scale being used is an old mechanical scale it could be lead as well. I'd put them on a digital scale for a more accurate reading and then measure the diameter with a caliper all around to see how uniform the diameter is.

As was discussed earlier, it is possible they are an alloy of more exotic metals, such as a Tungsten Alloy, but they couldn't be lesser mixes, such as Zinc and aluminum or nickel mixes, these balls are way to heavy to be more common, lighter metals such as those.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not heard that one before, "Bleach" Well.....you did say it was on Google, and I think it was Abraham Lincoln that said, If it's on the inter-net, then it must be true. You go first.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously, this is not the way to ID a metal, but my back is hurt and I'm stuck on the sofa, so I overlaid a barber dime, that I just found (this is it right out of the ground) and a musket ball. I think the ingots are going to turn out to be silver. Looking forward to the answer.
metals.jpg

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have suggested, you should try to obtain an acid test kit, which can very easily verify whether or not the balls are truly silver. Any sort of volume to mass calculations are going to liable to inaccuracies due to differences in casting.

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw this... so I am late to the party.

IF those were silver they would be black as night. *** IMO

With that said... I would be VERY careful handling them until you know exactly what you are holding.

There are other metals which would resist corrosion / tarnish... one of which would be white gold of course.

Silver is ruled out simple by the lack of tarnish... but something of more value is now in the sights.

Just hoping what you have found is not an element that was put there to "dispose" of due to dangers.

Thank you AARC, you are correct in urging caution. Gentlemen, the reason I suggested caution in handling these, and the use of a Geiger counter in my previous posts, is because they very much resemble the Plutonium Pits used to arm Warheads. Those pits are usually around 5cm in radius and weigh app. 11.48oz per cubic inch, which is in line with the items in question. Plutonium is also chemically reactive so the Pits are commonly plated with a thin layer of Silver or Nickel.

They are known to cause accelerated decay, or Radiation Corrosion, to any container they are stored in. Plutonium being highly susceptible to any moisture or humidity, burying in the ground may increase corrosion up to 200 times (depending on the soil). Judging the state of that can after only being in the ground app. 40 years, well, you get the picture.

I'm hoping it's silver and a big pay day for the OP, but we all have to use common sense when we dig up something strange that can't be immediately identified. Not everything people go to great lengths to bury in the ground is valuable. Sometimes they are trying to dispose of/store something harmful. Paranoid? Maybe, but in todays world you can't be too careful.

Honestly, I would even hesitate to use an acid test until after I checked for any background radiation first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_(nuclear_weapon)

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that the balls are plutonium due to the metal's tendency to oxidize very quickly. That being said, caution is of the utmost importance. It's better to proceed slowly and be safe rather than take unnecessary risks.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
cannonball fishing sinkers LOL

If not , they were likely cast in a cannonball sinker mold.
The seams and sprues show real well.

Will be interesting to find out what they are.
No sign of an eye or wire cast with them for fishing use.

Of course ,they could feed a cannon too...A 2 inch bore Falconet or something.

Wheel weights are of varied compositions besides lead. Easy and cheap to melt and mold with.
Not saying that's what the O.P. has , but that surface conditions can vary with the composition ,or even purity of the elements melted. Fluxing , skimming ect.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All cannon ball sinker molds I have seen were made from aluminum. You cannot cast silver in an aluminum mold, the molten silver will melt the aluminum mold.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All cannon ball sinker molds I have seen were made from aluminum. You cannot cast silver in an aluminum mold, the molten silver will melt the aluminum mold.

Steel 1.5 for sale out of California.
s-l1600.jpg

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but thought lead weights at first..but saw they weighed 5.5 pounds....that's pretty dense...what a cool find!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone keeps saying that if they were silver they would be tarnished. Well, if they are lead wouldn't they also be discolored?

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's perfectly possible for silver to stay untarnished. There's no general rule for how much tarnish should be on a silver coin, as varying soil and climate conditions can make a huge difference. I've pulled out Barber Quarters that were bright and shiny like they were just minted. If anything, the lack of tarnish should indicate that the balls could be silver. Silver is one of the least reactive metals out there, so it will hold up a lot better in comparison to lead, nickel, or zinc.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel 1.5 for sale out of California.
View attachment 1834540

1&1/2 ounces or 1&1/2" diameter is not a cannon ball sinker size. You will not be able to cast silver in that mold either. Silver is sand cast or cuttlefish bone cast at times but usually investment cast which is a type of plaster. The steel mold here would cool the silver too fast preventing a full pour. You could not possibly pre-heat a steel hand held mold to a high enough temperature to have the silver flow for a complete pour and still be able to hold onto the mold. Silver is usually heated to about 2,000 degrees to pour for casting.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
1&1/2 ounces or 1&1/2" diameter is not a cannon ball sinker size. You will not be able to cast silver in that mold either. Silver is sand cast or cuttlefish bone cast at times but usually investment cast which is a type of plaster. The steel mold here would cool the silver too fast preventing a full pour. You could not possibly pre-heat a steel hand held mold to a high enough temperature to have the silver flow for a complete pour and still be able to hold onto the mold. Silver is usually heated to about 2,000 degrees to pour for casting.

I thought the picture was a one and a half pound mold. I could be wrong though.

So you thinking the o.p.'s castings are of lead or low melt temp metal(s)? They certainly look like they were cast in a two piece hinged or through bolted mold more than any sand/acid/resin bound mold.

I've no experience pouring large volume silver , but if a mold had to remain heated after pre heating during a pour , I certainly wouldn't be trying to hold on to it by hand.

Last edited:

dc.gronlund

Jan 24, 2018
portsmouth, va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelabe Excalibur II
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Garrett "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just came across a video that show these same sized ingots in zinc to solder/swedge cables. Not saying that's what they are, but they look very similar and I think they used silver solder way back...
Screenshot_20200519-081354_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200519-081355_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200519-081331_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200519-081338_Instagram.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That is amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions