A first for me while in Maine.......

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Had the opportunity to help a friend deliver some boat parts to the Newcastle, Maine area over the weekend. Hunting was cut short due to Hurricane Noel dropping by for a visit. However, I did manage to find this early Saturday morning before the rains came. Never found a love token before. Of course, since my wife's first name starts with an S, she's already laid claim to it. The arrangement has always been, I keep the coins, she keeps the jewelry, so I guess we'll have to share this one :)

I'm sure you east coasters have heard it many times before, but I'm hugely jealous of you. Sooo much history........

The coin is a 96 indian.

Thanks for lookin,
Jules

Attachments

• 085.JPG
    085.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 825
  • 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 824
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 826
Upvote 1

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice nice... and I patiently wait for the silver to pop out at me... that is of course after I dig it....

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!...A love token is on my wish list of things to find. Glad to see you were able to get out and enjoy what Maine has to offer. Newcastle is a nice area, hope you enjoyed your stay... ;D

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Mainedigger said:
Nice finds!!...A love token is on my wish list of things to find. Glad to see you were able to get out and enjoy what Maine has to offer. Newcastle is a nice area, hope you enjoyed your stay... ;D

Thanks MD (oops, good pun). I truly enjoyed my stay, even the hurricane weather. I was able to hunt the place I found the seated token (1790's) and another home built in 1757. Didn't find anything to properly date the property, but did dig some nice finds. Looking forward to the opportunity, possibly next spring, to continue my search there.

Hope you get out more before Ms. Winter shows up!
Jules

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jules...don;t rule out hitting those 1700;s houses again when you are back next spring. The frost constantly moves stuff in the ground and it may lift some nice coins for you to get next spring. Look forward to seeing what you end up with for both places sound like choice spots with some great potential!!! :)

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Mainedigger said:
Jules...don;t rule out hitting those 1700;s houses again when you are back next spring. The frost constantly moves stuff in the ground and it may lift some nice coins for you to get next spring.

I hope so. Here's a pic of the 1757 home's finds. I had more places to hunt than time/weather to hunt them. (hurricanes can do that) :)

Something I noticed while finding these items. The soil was very sandy, and the older targets were deeeep. Two of the indians were probably the deepest coins I've ever dug. So my theory is, coins/items that more closely date the home are there, but out of my reach.

When does the ground typically thaw in your neck of the woods come spring?

The indians are 83, 91, 03

Thanks for the interactions.
Regards,
Jules

Attachments

• 098.JPG
    098.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 522

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jules...as far as when the frost lets go, that is anyone's guess...all depends on what we get for snow cover and how deep the frost is and how warm it gets and when in the spring. If you can predict what the New England weather is gonna do you'd be the first one to be able to do so and would be a rich man... ;D Last winter was strange...I was out detecting into the 3rd week of January so the weather had been its normal totally unpredictable self.. ;D Last spring I was able to get out and detect in mid to late March...but the frost wasn;t deep last winter and let go early, but being able to detect that late into winter and getting out early in spring is definitely not something you can count on or plan on. PM me and I can give you a link to a Maine metal detecting site that if you are interested you can sign up and follow whats going on around here as far as detecting.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BEAUTIFUL FIND !!!!!

not sure which side i like more - the seated side of the love token ???? both are great !!!!
awesome find

btw: it is awesome detecting on the east coast, after doing research on my area, i had no idea some of the stuff that went on adn what the people had to go thru - very cool

take care

vp

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know how many of those were around. Amazing find for sure!! :o :o

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
vpone said:
not sure which side i like more - the seated side or the love token ???? both are great !!!!
awesome find

vp

That's exactly how I feel. I can't decide which would of been better to find. :) Pretty darn happy either way.......

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love your love token. Very nice. I've never found one but I did buy one on E-Bay for my wife. It is a seated dime with 'T & O' on it which are my wife and daughters initials. I thought it was cool and was able to pick it up for only a few bucks.

Congrats

NJ

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
N.J.THer said:
I love your love token. Very nice. I've never found one but I did buy one on E-Bay for my wife.

NJ

Your post prompted me to look at them on ebay. Very cool, with all kinds of variety. Seems people would carve on just about any of the smaller denominations.

Regards,
Jules

KOC

Aug 20, 2006
that is a very nice love token. I sure wish i could find one!

KOC

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the detail on it is amazing, i said this in a post for another love token listed on t-net recently that was pretty nice as well .... "these people definately missed their calling" i can't imagine being able to create something like that - incredible find

i also looked at them on ebay after i saw yours, thinking i could pick one up for the wife or daughter
(ok, maybe it was for me or for me :) ), honestly i didn't see ANY as nice as the one you found and then to have a beautiful seated quarter on the other side - whew !

congrats again on an incredible find !

vp

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
vpone said:
"these people definately missed their calling"

(ok, maybe it was for me or for me :) ), honestly i didn't see ANY as nice as the one you found and then to have a beautiful seated quarter on the other side - whew !

congrats again on an incredible find !

vp
Thanks vp!
I had the same thoughts. Much talent went into it's creation. What I noticed on ebay, was that there wasn't very many quarters used, and the few that were, aren't in as good of shape as the one I was lucky enough to find.

It was truly a surprise when I kicked it up. I'd just started swingin, pumped to be finally able to swing in the NE, and had only dug three targets, all zincers, when I got a strong signal jumping back and forth between dime and quarter, at only 2 inches. I popped the plug, and immediately saw I had a silver quarter. Excitedly, I picked it up, then saw the obverse first, realized I had a seated Q, started to get really excited, then saw the soldered areas, quickly turned it over, and saw a big "S" staring at me. That's when my hand got shaky. :)

Better lucky than good, anyday......... :)

Kind Regards,
Jules

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread