May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

The dudes (kirkpa, zoy & paco) weren't around to metal detect today but were nice enough to let me detect the coronet field with my 16" coil. They have gotten 14 coppers (and a bust half dime !) from this field already but felt they had worked it pretty hard and that maybe that was all there was or if there were more coins, they were deep ...

so i tried my 16" coil (I call it my steering wheel) for about a half hour today

i found a couple small buttons at 7 & 8 inches, a dropped musketball and then got a perfect reading of 00 27 on the SE but it was faint, so i could tell it was deep, but it definately repeated so i dug it

at 10 inches down i uncovered this coin, when i saw it in the hole i yelled out "copper" but no one was there to high five (kinda sucked)

i went home quick and called paco, who sped right over to see it, after looking at sizes and pics of different coins, we think it's a connecticut but aren't sure, i included a picture of the details that come up when you put a flashlight to the side of it

front : you can clearly make out a bust that reaches the top of the coin, and a long skinny neck, there are also two letters visible
to the right of the bust

back: you can see a line at the bottom and part of the lady sitting there, i thought i could almost see the 7 in the date, but i think my eyes were playing tricks on me

any help is appreciated.

this is my first copper this old and special thanks have to go to kirk, zoy and paco for letting me hit the field with my big coil

vp

Attachments

• colonial-both copy.jpg
    colonial-both copy.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Copper at Cornonet Field - ID Help Needed

noveb1.jpg

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Kevin, before I tuck into my metal detecting bed and pillaws, I have to say, you did awesome today! You made all the Bone Dry members proud of you, buddy. See you on Sunday!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Congrats on your first copper! May it be the first of many. I remember how excited I was when I found my first one. WTG!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

how big is copper in question ,might help narrow it down......

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300

Looks like a 1748(ish) George 2nd....Great find!
~Hank 8)

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Vpone, congrats on your first!
I agree, it sucks when nobody is around to see you find something good. I know that your being a member of the BD Club
now, many more are in your future.
Happy Hunting

Dsertfox

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hey thank you to all for the great responses, and thanks Edde for helping with the ID, I think you're right the coin size will help narrow it down - i'll get it and post ya

to me it looks closest to the picture you posted with the "HBORAC" to the right of the bust
the "HB" seem to be in the correct position and look like the letters on my coin ... really wish it had more detail, do they always come out of the ground like this ????

thanks again

vp
Bone Dry Detecting

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Vpone,Y'all shouldent give up on that site to soon.If it's a plowed cornfield you can bet that the next time it is plowed there will be more goodies turned up.I have a similar site that my bud and i have hit pretty hard.We hit it for the first time this season and my bud (with an se) found 4 large coppers.his boy (8 years old ) found a 1788 vermont copper,and i found 2 coppers one being a new Joy-si copper.Now we are finding mostly musket balls with an ocasional button,but i bet next year we will be pulling out more coppers and hopefully some old silver.Also that minelab will go DEEP,my bud has found coppers at over a foot down !

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

index.php

noveb1.jpg

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Congrats on your first old copper and hats off to Kirk and company for sharing the field with you :)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Yo, Kevin, is the coin very thin? I am thinking it could be a KGIII counterfeit, but I will have to see it in person to identify it.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

P.S. Go Steelers! :D

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Kevin, congrats on your first Coppa, and many more to come.
I remember finding my first Seated Half with not one of my buddies around me to share in the find....but I was calling them within seconds.

Don't find too many oldies all at once, or Kirk might just break down and get one of those alien sounding machines... ;D

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions