Vintage Firefighter Button!!!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found a Winnipeg Fire Department button!!! The company that made it, M.C. Lilley & co, was started in the 1870's. The company was started in Columbus, Ohio. Im so excited!!! The only thing that bothers me is I cant get a date on this button. If anyone can help or has info i'd appreciate it! But it's still awesome!!! Maybe there was a fire at that park long ago?

I also found a vintage lipstick lid from the 1940's which is really cool too. But I love that button!!! I had a great second hunt for the year for sure!!!
20200517_165327.jpg 20200517_165339.jpg
20200517_170200.jpg 20200517_170147.jpg
Screenshot_2020-05-17-16-39-44.png
Screenshot_2020-05-17-18-17-04.png

Last edited:
Upvote 14

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button recovery, always a thrill for me to dig a button & especially if it's FD related. Congrats & HH

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wanted to find one of those. Never had my coil over one though. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go thats an awesome find. Thats what its all about. Good to see your post, Hope you and your Family are doing well. Im sure someone will help with the age on it plus research can be fun. Good job keep pounding that site....Take care......Tommy

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
M.C.Lilley was in business from 1870 to the end of WWII. The Winnipeg Fire Department was first created in 1882. So your button would date between 1882 and 1945. To narrow it down further you might want to contact these folks. On a side note, I was a firefighter for 30 years so fire department memorabilia holds a special place for me.

https://wpgfiremuseum.ca/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
M.C.Lilley was in business from 1870 to the end of WWII. The Winnipeg Fire Department was first created in 1882. So your button would date between 1882 and 1945. To narrow it down further you might want to contact these folks. On a side note, I was a firefighter for 30 years so fire department memorabilia holds a special place for me.

https://wpgfiremuseum.ca/

Wow awesome thanks! I'll contact them for sure! It's a very exciting find.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There you go thats an awesome find. Thats what its all about. Good to see your post, Hope you and your Family are doing well. Im sure someone will help with the age on it plus research can be fun. Good job keep pounding that site....Take care......Tommy

Manitoba is doing good and we've had few covid deaths/cases. We are all safe and well and stores are starting to open up. Thanks for asking. I know it's worse in the U.S. so I hope you and your family are safe.
Thanks for always viewing and commenting on my posts I appreciate it! :) I'll be heading to the site asap and will be digging all the iron that i left behind hoping to strike silver lol!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing a little more digging I found that buttons with your particular back mark were made by Steele & Johnson for M. C. Lilley. And Waterbury Button Company bought out Steele & Johnson around 1920. I couldn't find a backmark just like yours made by Steele & Johnson but I did find one made by Waterbury so that would date it from about 1920-1945. Also the letters on the front give me the impression of a mid 20th century button. I would still contact the museum because if anyone can give a better time frame it would be them. I have been proven wrong on many occasions in the past and I will be done likewise in the future. But, I learn from each mistake. Good luck with your future hunts and let us know if you hear anything more on your button.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After doing a little more digging I found that buttons with your particular back mark were made by Steele & Johnson for M. C. Lilley. And Waterbury Button Company bought out Steele & Johnson around 1920. I couldn't find a backmark just like yours made by Steele & Johnson but I did find one made by Waterbury so that would date it from about 1920-1945. Also the letters on the front give me the impression of a mid 20th century button. I would still contact the museum because if anyone can give a better time frame it would be them. I have been proven wrong on many occasions in the past and I will be done likewise in the future. But, I learn from each mistake. Good luck with your future hunts and let us know if you hear anything more on your button.

Oh wow! Thanks so much for doing this for me. I tried to search stuff up but am not very good at it yet. I really appreciate it and will certainly post on this thread with an update if I get a reply.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on that button MV. That one will look good in a display case.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Yes I need a display case.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread