Railroad & Police Buttons, Cameo, Religious Medals, Silver Coins, IHPs, and more!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored a new permission in my neighborhood and gave it a good old fashioned cherry picking, focusing on the quarter and dime signals and deeper penny signals. I had been eyeing this property that I drive past every day for years. I even knocked on the owners door about 9 years ago but no one answered. Thursday I caught him mowing the grass and he gave me permission. He also mentioned that someone else had just asked him about metal detecting the yard. Yesterday I did see the filled in plugs from another digger, but there are plenty of signals in this yard and I was digging constantly.

Here are the better finds from this new permission. If anyone can provide any info on the Pennsylvania Lines button, that would be appreciated. I guessing it's circa 1930-1950.
5-17- 20 Better Finds.jpg

I expected more silver to turn up, but I only got these two dimes.
Silver Front.jpg Silver Back.jpg

I also got these three religious medals. Maybe the next one will be silver?
Religious Front.jpg Religious Back.jpg

While I did get 1889, 1893, and 1899 IHPs and the 1916 dime, most of the coins were modern.
Other Coins.jpg

Saturday I met up with Thad (PA dirt-NC sand) and we hit one of my mid 19th century permissions that had been recently plowed. We weren't expecting to find too much since I have ben pounding this site off and on for almost 20 years, but we were hoping Thad might find his first arrowhead. While we were there, the farmer showed up and smoothed the field in preparation for planting, and this helped us find targets.

Here are my finds. Two IHPs, one is 1864, the other is toast. A little watch winder with some kind of design, and a nice suspender clip.
5-16-20 all.jpg

This site gave me a new appreciation for the lowly suspender clip since I have found so many here.
This latest one will knock one of the others from the Hall of Fame frame :laughing7:
Clip Frame.JPG

Well that's all folks. Thanks for looking and good luck out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a very productive yard Steve. Despite your apparent competition, it looks like you are doing quite well. Now get back in there and finish hoovering up all those goodies.

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of nice stuff for one days digging! Congrats.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx for the invite Steve! Amazing how the field came to life after he smoothed it. Let me know if that dot across the street pans out we researched. Your new neighborhood site looks promising. Great finds. Congrats!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Steve.

Lots of nice yards to hunt in your neighborhood.

Although not as old as you probably would like. But still fun to dig up any era of history.

I Haven't been out in 3 weeks. Went back to work and needed some metal detecting rest.

But starting to get the itch to get out. With this hot humid weather I won't hunt much over the next 90 days.

Good luck out there.

Jer

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Hunt!!! Lots of Nice stuff!!! Congrats!!! Glad You got the goodies out that another missed:)

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds! It's crazy that you had your eye on it for 9 years and somebody got ahead of you. The good news is that you found some great stuff!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the suspender clip display. I would choose the lower right one in the display to bump. Or just get a bigger case and keep working on it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the suspender clip display. I would choose the lower right one in the display to bump. Or just get a bigger case and keep working on it. :thumbsup:
LOL, actually that one has already been bumped. This is an old picture :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a very productive yard Steve. Despite your apparent competition, it looks like you are doing quite well. Now get back in there and finish hoovering up all those goodies.
Thanks. I was hoping I could milk this spot and hit when I had an hour or two to kill. I noticed the competition had only hit a small area of the side yard, but he left a lot of signals in the area that he did hit
That's a lot of nice stuff for one days digging! Congrats.
Thanks. Actually these finds represent two days.
Thx for the invite Steve! Amazing how the field came to life after he smoothed it. Let me know if that dot across the street pans out we researched. Your new neighborhood site looks promising. Great finds. Congrats!!
Thanks Thad. I'm glad you were able to get away for a day.

Nice finds Steve.

Lots of nice yards to hunt in your neighborhood.

Although not as old as you probably would like. But still fun to dig up any era of history.

I Haven't been out in 3 weeks. Went back to work and needed some metal detecting rest.

But starting to get the itch to get out. With this hot humid weather I won't hunt much over the next 90 days.

Good luck out there.

Jer
Thanks Jeremy. You made a lot of hay during the pandemic stay at home period, so a little break can't hurt. The stuff pictured with the suspender clip came from that field I took you to where you found the Rifleman button. It's still giving up a few things.
Very Nice Hunt!!! Lots of Nice stuff!!! Congrats!!! Glad You got the goodies out that another missed:)
Thanks RJ. I was hitting an area that I don't think the other digger even went into yet.
Excellent finds! It's crazy that you had your eye on it for 9 years and somebody got ahead of you. The good news is that you found some great stuff!
Thanks. I might try to get in there after dinner tomorrow. Looks like I'm in a competition with a mystery digger now.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety there it seems there should be much more to grab from that site.

~Blaze~

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking haul Steve!! Normally you find religious pendants maybe twice a year,but 3 in a day!! Good stuff :icon_thumright:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds Steve. That yard was very good to you. I like that suspender clip display.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt with many surprise targets! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a really cool display I like it and the Police and RR buttons and pendants those are the kind of finds I like the most is there a D on that dime Im sure you allready looked wow thats amazing all those finds Im gonna need a yard like that.

Last edited:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the shadow box! I gotta start doing displays like that. Hogge

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the shadow box! I gotta start doing displays like that. Hogge
You can get them from Indian River Display Cases
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://indianriverdisplay.com/black.htm[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread