Oldest coin to date 1835 - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Oldest coin to date 1835

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2011
    Wyoming
    Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, DetectorPro Headhunter & BlissTool
    1170 times
    Metal Detecting
    Very nice cent. Lots of excellent detail still left on there. Congrats.
    Xraywolf likes this.

us
    Coin Rescuer

May 2019
    Oklahoma
    Garrett AT Pro
    905 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congrats on the great old coin!
    Xraywolf likes this.

So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
    2430 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thats's a sharp looking coin right there. Congrats!
    Xraywolf likes this.
    Best Finds:

1786 Vermont Landscape Copper (Ryder 7 variety)
    1787 Vermont Copper
    1787 New Jersey Copper (Maris 63 variety)
    1797 and 1804 DBLCs
    George Washington Inaugural Button (GW 1 type)
    1872 Indian Head Cent (VF/EF condition)
    1866 Indian Head Cent (EF condition)
    1864 "L" Indian Head Cent
    Hard Times Tokens---2
    1840 Gen. Harrison Campaign Token
    1832 Nova Scotia Halfpenny Token
    Two cent pieces---7
    1721 King George I
    1732 King George II
    Barber Half dollars---3
    War Of 1812 Shoulder Belt Plate

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex
    2437 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks for the comments, I have found plenty of rings much more valuable than this but this thing is made out of solid gold as far as I am concerned. There is nothing like the feeling of finding an old coin, liberating it to the ground after decades. I feel an actual connection with whoever lost it so many decades ago. Back then a penny meant something, probably like $5 today, you could buy subsistence with it, and the guy more than likely noticed it was missing and vowed to be more careful with his hard earned money. And there it sat, lost before anyone had ever heard of Abe Lincoln, already decades in the ground when the civil war came and went. Wild west was upon us and Custer made his last stand. The Titanic sunk, WW1, the great depression, WW2 and Korea. We put men on the moon and it still had decades in the ground to go when finally, during a world wide pandemic, the street is tore up for sewer work but it it still 4" down, and some guy ambles along with a metal detector and it sees sunshine and fresh air for the 1st time in over 180 years - A very different time, a very different place.

This was actually found not under what would have been the street but a grassy median between the street and sidewalk and I am thankful for that because most of the coins I have found under the street itself are trashed, a couple I can't even ID type much less date. I found a 1917 Merc that was leeched of color, looked like it went through a drum sander, and I suspect you guys that detect salt water find them in much the same condition. The reason for this I presume is because over the decades, road salt and other contaminants leeches down through fissures and chemically attacks them. This substrate as you can see is sandy, you'd never know it with the grass there but it is. Looks like it actually preserves metal. I estimate they took off around 16" of soil, it was 4" further down still so obviously, no detector around today would have produced any signal for a coin that deep. As it was, the signal was choppy and mixed with iron, which is why I passed it by before, along with the other guys there. Only a slow, steady swing produced a usable, repeatable signal. I am assuming it must have been on edge, else it would have rang out like a cow bell, and indeed a couple thick old nails came out of the same hole.

Oct 2012
    2273 times
    Wow, that large cent is in great shape!
    Xraywolf likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
    1753 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great coin in great shape. Congrats!

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2437 times
    Metal Detecting
    Went back today for a quick jaunt, was rainy most of the day so I had the day off.
    There is now a large bulldozer sitting over the spot where I found the large cent, things are changin - Like someone else said, hopefully they'll rip up some more areas for me to detect. Would be great if they ripped up the sidewalks, they did on the other block they are doing.

Managed to find a crusty 1887 IHP and a nice eagle button, A in the middle, CW era I presume.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5221.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	1835115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5182.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	1835116  

us
    Feb 2020
    Eastern Ohio
    XP Deus * Minelab E-Trac
    428 times
    Metal Detecting
    Congrats on finding your oldest coin - a great looking LC !
    XP Deus * 9" LF & X35 Coils * Deteknix Headphones
    Minelab E-Trac * 5" - 4.5" x 7" - Stealth X-8 Coils * Killer B + Gray Ghost Headphones

1724 - K.G. Half Penny * 1736 - K.G. Half Penny * 1783 - Half Real * 1787 - Connecticut Copper
    1817 - Large Cent * 1829 - Capped Bust Dime * 1837 - Capped Bust Half Dime * 1852 - Three Cent * 1857 - Flying Eagle Cent * 1865 - Two Cent * 1877 - Seated Quarter

Nov 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    AT Pro
    115 times
    Congratulations !! great job !

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    32758 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Beautiful coin, congrats!

us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    1712 times
    Metal Detecting
    That's a beauty of a Large Cent! They rarely come out that nice, I think you were right when you said that the type of dirt preserved it!

Also congrats on the Civil War artillery button and the IHP!

As for digging nice holes, whenever I dig on someone else's property, I always do an even nicer job than I would do on my own property. In my own yard, if I replace the plug and there's still a little dirt left outside the hole, what do I care, the rain will eventually wash the light layer of dirt away, but in someone else's yard I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate this. I'd much rather take a few moments to do a nice job and have a landowner say "You're welcome back anytime, I can't even tell where you dug" than an unhappy landowner who says "You left my lawn a mess. I don't want you to dig here again."
    Xraywolf likes this.
    Notable 2019 Finds:

Coins: King George II halfpenny, Connecticut copper, 1810 Large Cent, 1872 Half Dime, 1864 & 1908 IHP, 1921 Peace Dollar, 1908 Barber Quarter, 1906 V Nickle, 3 merc dimes, 1943 Quarter

Relics: Vermont state seal button, early belt knife, shoe buckle fragments, 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button, 1916 dog license, skeleton key, broken flintlock pistol barrel, colonial silver cuff link, early brass thimble, many flat buttons of different metals and sizes

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2437 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well the IHP was so trashed I didn't bother taking a pic, though the date was at least readable.
    The large cent, presumably in the ground much longer and probably about 20 ft away, was almost mint fresh, so the sandy soil must preserve them while being under the street ruins them.

Couple finds today, pristine 3 ring minie, 4th I have found in this area along with lots of grapeshot. Another cartridge not sure of caliber or era, and what looks to be the remains of a picture stickpin with whatever was pictured long lost to time unfortunately - 2nd one of those I found.

A fair amount of trash too, including some vintage bottlecaps. Have found loads of antique nails and bolts, especially as the pickings get slimmer and I dig sketchier signals, those I toss in a pit on site.

Name:	IMG_5224.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	1835276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5225.jpg 
Size:	1,017.4 KB 
ID:	1835277  

us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    2437 times
    Metal Detecting
    Back to the spot, on my way home from work and I stop by to see if any more areas have opened up. Saw a few new piles and found a crusty wheatie, a V nickel, steel cent and what looks to be either a spent cartridge or lipstick case, can make out USA on the bottom but its so crucshed can't make out anythign else.

Pic of the roots shows what we are up against from a perspective not often seen, this 1 little tree is just a complete nightmare of roots.

Name:	IMG_5242.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	1835681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5234.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	1835682  
    VTColonialDigger likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links