WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been cleaning up around the old home/farm site. The tornado that came through last year really trashed a lot of our trees. Wednesday night our two oldest grandsons started taking out the wild honeysuckle on the hill behind the cellar hole. It had also been raining for a couple days. I walked around and eyeballed a few things that gave me hope that I might find something good on the hill.

IMG_9206.jpg

Last night I went out with the ATMax and gave it a try. I’m struggling trying to figure this detector out. All I was finding was more rusty nails, fence, and fence posts. So I took it down to the area where I found my only old coin. I managed to figure out how to eliminate everything below 35. It was still making the dreaded “donk” for rust. So I made up my mind I wasn’t going to dig unless the reading was over 35. I got a hit that had 2 different tones, one deep (the “donk”) and one of to the side that was a little higher. It rang up 40. I thought,” Well why not try it?”
I think the lock fooled me.

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

Still had fun.

Thanks for looking,
Sis

Upvote 19

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the lock any deep iron on any machine sounds better than surface iron.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought I was gonna see a chain cent. :laughing7: There's always stuff left at an old cellar hole. Keep at it.

I don’t even know what a chain cent is. LOL That was actually over in the area where the old barn was. We had it torn down, parted out, burned and buried. Then I started metal detecting hobby. Wish I was in it before we did all that.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not the lock any deep iron on any machine sounds better than surface iron.

Hmm. That sounds about like what happens to me. Maybe I am a little overthinking it and a lot of lacking in confidence.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADI! I forgot to take one more pic for you! You will have to take my word for it. I filled in the hole.
How do I like it? Well it’s heavier than the other one I was using. Thus, I kept going back to the old one. Now it’s on the fritz and I am forced to learn the ATMAX. It does find more that I missed with the Delta. It finds deeper and smaller stuff. I bought it because I was going to brave underwater detecting in the big creek at the other end of our property. The tornadoes ruined that for me. It’s a mess.

I noticed! My midnight raid went a lot easier! Trouble was, I couldn't tell where you'd already looked. :icon_pirat:

I've only had two serious detectors in all my "career". The "Groundhog" and the "ATPro". Both have some heft. I found that I had to experiment with the length of the shaft to get them close to an easier balancing point. Either side of the balance point and they get heavier. I was a little surprised at how long I had to make them. On the plus side though, the longer length gives a lot broader swing. Cover more ground with less effort.

Lately though, I've been wearing one of those posture correcting elastic things. It does tend to support my back and shoulders better when I swing.

Talk about a bear! I used the Groundhog for my water hunting way back when. With a ten inch coil!! What did I know....I was sooo much younger then! Found a lot though!

Something about tornadoes puzzle me. The way they tear up and scatter whole towns....I wonder why there aren't more whole coin collections just lying around on the surface. :icon_scratch:

Be safe Sis!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
WD
I guess the Max has iron audio. My Pro does. Anyway on those questionable high tones just hit the IA button and sweep across the target. If you get a iron grunt on either side or both you may not want to dig that one. But back to the chain. The reason you got a high and a low tone was the rust on the chain. If that had been a new chain you wouldn't have gotten that low tone.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed! My midnight raid went a lot easier! Trouble was, I couldn't tell where you'd already looked. :icon_pirat:

I've only had two serious detectors in all my "career". The "Groundhog" and the "ATPro". Both have some heft. I found that I had to experiment with the length of the shaft to get them close to an easier balancing point. Either side of the balance point and they get heavier. I was a little surprised at how long I had to make them. On the plus side though, the longer length gives a lot broader swing. Cover more ground with less effort.

Lately though, I've been wearing one of those posture correcting elastic things. It does tend to support my back and shoulders better when I swing.

Talk about a bear! I used the Groundhog for my water hunting way back when. With a ten inch coil!! What did I know....I was sooo much younger then! Found a lot though!

Something about tornadoes puzzle me. The way they tear up and scatter whole towns....I wonder why there aren't more whole coin collections just lying around on the surface. :icon_scratch:

Be safe Sis!

So, are ya saying that if I make the shaft longer, it’ll be easier? Not so hard on my arms?

Oh and be careful around the porch. Mama skunk and her kits are under there.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WD
I guess the Max has iron audio. My Pro does. Anyway on those questionable high tones just hit the IA button and sweep across the target. If you get a iron grunt on either side or both you may not want to dig that one. But back to the chain. The reason you got a high and a low tone was the rust on the chain. If that had been a new chain you wouldn't have gotten that low tone.

Thanks rook. I have been rereading the book. I didn’t quite understand that part. You helped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread