WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We have been cleaning up around the old home/farm site. The tornado that came through last year really trashed a lot of our trees. Wednesday night our two oldest grandsons started taking out the wild honeysuckle on the hill behind the cellar hole. It had also been raining for a couple days. I walked around and eyeballed a few things that gave me hope that I might find something good on the hill.

IMG_9206.jpg

Last night I went out with the ATMax and gave it a try. I’m struggling trying to figure this detector out. All I was finding was more rusty nails, fence, and fence posts. So I took it down to the area where I found my only old coin. I managed to figure out how to eliminate everything below 35. It was still making the dreaded “donk” for rust. So I made up my mind I wasn’t going to dig unless the reading was over 35. I got a hit that had 2 different tones, one deep (the “donk”) and one of to the side that was a little higher. It rang up 40. I thought,” Well why not try it?”
I think the lock fooled me.

IMG_9207.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

Still had fun.

Thanks for looking,
Sis

Upvote 19

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WD Iv bin teaching my daughter to use my/ hers now ATpro, I tell her to run pro coin mode and only dig the fast squeakers, it wasnt until we hit a newer campsite that she was able to get those squeakers... Hope this helps ya!!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the AT series loves that big iron just look at the junk ol Aquachigger pulls out, I really enjoy his show but wish he would get a Nox...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some older glass and pottery Sis. Keep looking around and maybe a complete bottle will show itself. I would not discount that "donk" signal from your detector. A lot of very nice relics are iron and rusty. Unless of course, you are strictly a coin shooter, then that's different.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn those different sounds as you are doing and eventually you'll start calling your finds before you see them with a high percentage of correct results. Remember what you just heard on that find. Lots of chains will do similar signals. Experimenting with how much discrimination and other settings to use will alter those sounds slightly, but get use to how that works too. By how you described it, you have an iron bed where you're hearing all the "donks". Go slow over those areas and if you hear a squeak or higher tone, go back and forth across that higher tone from different angles. If it repeats, dig it. The AT series might not have all the bells and whistles that some machines have today, but it does give you all you need to know if you have the sounds and their meanings down pat. I believe that with practice, you can make any brand work well as long as it has the basic necessities for the type of hunting you want to do.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I said that about chains is that most I find still have something attached at one end. Be it a hook, lock, or other, if it's a little different on shape or mass, it will vary the beep some.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a test garden coins pop tops junk relics it will help, looks like it would be a blast diggin that site definately lots of activity theres gonna be some cool finds keep at it

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....maybe...that chain was holding the treasure chest to an old tree? :tongue3:

At least you enjoyed? How are you liking the Max? That's where I believe I'll be moving to next.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WD Iv bin teaching my daughter to use my/ hers now ATpro, I tell her to run pro coin mode and only dig the fast squeakers, it wasnt until we hit a newer campsite that she was able to get those squeakers... Hope this helps ya!!

That’s a good tip. Put it in practice tonight.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Also the AT series loves that big iron just look at the junk ol Aquachigger pulls out, I really enjoy his show but wish he would get a Nox...

Well that explains a lot! The Delta I was using loved rust, too. This one seems to love it more.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like some older glass and pottery Sis. Keep looking around and maybe a complete bottle will show itself. I would not discount that "donk" signal from your detector. A lot of very nice relics are iron and rusty. Unless of course, you are strictly a coin shooter, then that's different.

Not a coin shooter, but am itching to find one in this area because I am confident it would be old.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Learn those different sounds as you are doing and eventually you'll start calling your finds before you see them with a high percentage of correct results. Remember what you just heard on that find. Lots of chains will do similar signals. Experimenting with how much discrimination and other settings to use will alter those sounds slightly, but get use to how that works too. By how you described it, you have an iron bed where you're hearing all the "donks". Go slow over those areas and if you hear a squeak or higher tone, go back and forth across that higher tone from different angles. If it repeats, dig it. The AT series might not have all the bells and whistles that some machines have today, but it does give you all you need to know if you have the sounds and their meanings down pat. I believe that with practice, you can make any brand work well as long as it has the basic necessities for the type of hunting you want to do.

Thanks for the information. Discrimination is what I don’t know how to do. I think I have the book with me. Hopefully I will have time to read it again.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Make a test garden coins pop tops junk relics it will help, looks like it would be a blast diggin that site definately lots of activity theres gonna be some cool finds keep at it

I have done that, but I must have fried too many brain cells in my youth. You made a lightbulb go off. Scary. I know. I will add writing down what each does on an index card and keep it in my bag. Then I can reference year to year.
Thanks Tommy.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me I recall seeing MrWD wearing a similar chain but his had a ball on the other end :tongue3:

Appears you are doing better these past couple years and your interest is growing.

Good job ..................

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well.....maybe...that chain was holding the treasure chest to an old tree? :tongue3:

At least you enjoyed? How are you liking the Max? That's where I believe I'll be moving to next.

WHADI! I forgot to take one more pic for you! You will have to take my word for it. I filled in the hole.
How do I like it? Well it’s heavier than the other one I was using. Thus, I kept going back to the old one. Now it’s on the fritz and I am forced to learn the ATMAX. It does find more that I missed with the Delta. It finds deeper and smaller stuff. I bought it because I was going to brave underwater detecting in the big creek at the other end of our property. The tornadoes ruined that for me. It’s a mess.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for your posts! I hunted a different location tonight and found a few pennies, a dime, a lead sinker, several pull tabs, beer caps and aluminum trash, and ONLY one rusty nail and a bolt.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you found Peyton Manning's campsite.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me I recall seeing MrWD wearing a similar chain but his had a ball on the other end :tongue3:

Appears you are doing better these past couple years and your interest is growing.

Good job ..................

Simon! Nice surprise. I almost missed your post.
I have been braver in posting finds this year.

And , uh, paybacks buddy.
giphy.gif

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw you posting after my post and did not reply so I thought maybe mine was in bad taste so I had just prepared to delete it when you posted. Glad you are finding things. The pictures of your land look like they should be hiding artifacts and maybe an old cabin remnant or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread