glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of what I have pictures of for this post where actually found over the last several weeks And a few where just found yesterday 5/21/20 Also I posted some of the items I had found earlier under Relic Hunting and What is this . I found more items yesterday and in an attempt to find some one that might know what I found might have a better chance of seeing it if I posted it on this forum So on the pictured items the two hooks and chain and the metal gate latch where found the first time I metal detected the area That would have been on 3/26/20 under the Relics Hunting forum Than last weekend on 5/17/20 I found three of the four rounded rocks at the same site Yesterday 5/21/20 I returned again and found another rounded rock and 2 more metal hooks with a section of chain attached to them The only indication that there ever was any human activity there is a few pieces of rusted pieces of tin .I am familiar with the area since 1967 and there has not been any home or farm buildings within hundreds of yards during that time frame .This site is in the middles of a wooded site that is about a total of 15 acres .And the general area is mixed hardwood forest and ag land The rounded stones have me baffled as to what they would have been used for .But someone took a long time to make them Any guess would be welcomed IMG-597REZ.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds very interesting I love a good mystery I was not able to see anything when I clicked your attachments.......Tommy

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I had the chance to visit a 90 year young man that spent most of his adult life as an Estate and Farm auctioneer . I showed him the 4 rounded off rocks I had found a few weeks ago and ask if he had ever saw any thing like them . He said they were lids made to be placed in 5 and 10 gallon crocks to cover food stuff items.Farm women would than place them in the same water trough they stored the milk cans .The lids would keep the bugs and dirt out This young man has a building on his property that he turned into a museum to show case old farm equipment tools household items etc Since I had 4 I offered to give him 2 for display a quick exchange was made . So I guess I can now claim museum quality finds.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds and on solving the mystery.
I would have used your lids as skipping stones.
They would be sitting on a lake bed right now,, hehehe.
Job well done.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds and on solving the mystery.
I would have used your lids as skipping stones.
They would be sitting on a lake bed right now,, hehehe.
Job well done.
I am doing a landscaping project . Well I have be saying that for 4 years running It might not be complete this year either . But I hope to use the two I kept as part of my project . Your idea would have some merit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread