xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met the Silver Bandit on Sunday for some early morning detecting. It was pretty cold and I kept a jacket on the entire time. It was an old beach that had produced a lot of silver coins. It had probably been sand covered once but was now about 85% rocks as it had all washed away. It seemed like the coins stayed and sunk below the rocks. My first signal was a nice green wheatie. That was a promising sign but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't be that easy... After awhile I dug a tiny thin disc of a coin. I could tell by the grayness that it was probably silver. It turned out to be a Merc and is hands down my most beat up silver coin ever. A Silver is a Silver. Later on I ended up digging a 1956 Canadian silver dime. After 4 years of detecting it's my first Canadian silver and it wasn't beat up like all the other coins. Just a thin layer of something on it. It looks like a perfect candidate for some electrolysis if I can build one of those. All the coins were coming out of the ground in the roughest most worn down condition. I think the beach and waves acted as a giant rock tumbler. You can see in my picture the little copper disks that are wafer thin. Those are copper memorials. I also found a Susan B. Anthony dollar from 79. For a couple seconds I thought it was a walking liberty half due to the eagle on the reverse. Not an incredible or exciting find but a little out of the ordinary. One way to look at it is that it's equal to digging up 100 pennies! That just saved me a lot of work! It was a nice hunt and great to get out in the fresh air and sun... and the sun...woo it got me pretty good!8-)8-)

Attachments

• IMG_7792.JPG
    IMG_7792.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    874.8 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 20

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good day I havent seen a Susan B in a while Good luck with the electrolysis I tried it once and didnt do very well lol. Looks like a good day and the sun burn thats a good sign summer is slow coming here in Michigan Thanks for sharing your hunt.. Happy Memorial day to you.....Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin shooting in those trying conditions! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver! Yikes on the burn. I had a similar burn a couple weeks ago, though it was on my face in the shape of my sun glasses.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good day I havent seen a Susan B in a while Good luck with the electrolysis I tried it once and didnt do very well lol. Looks like a good day and the sun burn thats a good sign summer is slow coming here in Michigan Thanks for sharing your hunt.. Happy Memorial day to you.....Tommy

Thanks Tommy summer seems slow to arrive everywhere!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a productive hunt copper, and like you said, silver is silver. Really like the racing stripe (; I have the same haircut almost

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a productive hunt copper, and like you said, silver is silver. Really like the racing stripe (; I have the same haircut almost

I'm not bald... just really fast. I move too fast for the hair to grow in.. hence the need for the stripe!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds !

I've used an Electrolysis Bath to clean hundreds relics, coins and pieces of jewelry over the years - with very good results.
Works great on encrusted silver coins, brass, bronze, etc.
But if you put a copper clad coin, nickels, etc. through Electrolysis - the copper core will turn the entire coin orange ... forever.
Also, if you take a coin like a Indian Cent that has a very heavy green patina on it ( that we all like so much in this hobby ) and you put in Electrolysis - all the detail will fall off the coin.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds !

I've used an Electrolysis Bath to clean hundreds relics, coins and pieces of jewelry over the years - with very good results.
Works great on encrusted silver coins, brass, bronze, etc.
But if you put a copper clad coin, nickels, etc. through Electrolysis - the copper core will turn the entire coin orange ... forever.
Also, if you take a coin like a Indian Cent that has a very heavy green patina on it ( that we all like so much in this hobby ) and you put in Electrolysis - all the detail will fall off the coin.

thanks for the comment. I don't think I'd do electrolysis on clad... hmmm maybe just to witness what happens. More likely to use on a silver or two and I have a heavily encrusted large cent to try it out on.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I adapted my cap to have a flap down the back. Like the Legionaires.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better a burn then the poison oak I always seem to wonder in metal detecting. I'm extremely sensitive to the stuff and it messes me up bad. I'd take sunburn over that anytime lol.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There... now that looks a lot better! :laughing7:

Be careful if you decide to shock Elizabeth, I'm a big fan of hers! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your finds buddy,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need one of those hats! It's a cool excuse to wear one of those!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better a burn then the poison oak I always seem to wonder in metal detecting. I'm extremely sensitive to the stuff and it messes me up bad. I'd take sunburn over that anytime lol.

Yes would definitely take the burn over poison oak. I seem to get it a couple times per year and the reactions seem to be worsening!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There... now that looks a lot better! :laughing7:

Be careful if you decide to shock Elizabeth, I'm a big fan of hers! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your finds buddy,
Dave

It will be a light shock like when you walk across the carpet and touch something! That art is amazing! So honored to be the subject!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread