I did NOT find this

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 0DB0D283-DADC-4100-9E46-4184C8D1C568.jpeg
    0DB0D283-DADC-4100-9E46-4184C8D1C568.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 3BBE8CBF-9012-4137-98C3-D059C8667272.jpeg
    3BBE8CBF-9012-4137-98C3-D059C8667272.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 57

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the PCGS grading site (https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/DrapedDolLE/Grades), I would grade this VF-35. That gives it an estimated value of $3,000 (https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1799-1/6878). It's a "normal date, 7x6 stars on obverse, 13 star, no berries reverse". Beautiful coin!

Scott

I remember when Broadway Joe found a very rare half dollar. It was around an AU58 grade that the Red Book appraised around 40K. Well off to PCGS. It received an "Authentic" grade with environmental damage. Then it went to Heritage Auction. It sold for 10% of the Red Book price. (Almost 4 thousand dollars) Sometimes we think we have a very valuable coin, but years of the ground freezing and ground movement can cause tiny scratches that will bring down the value of the coin.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when Broadway Joe found a very rare half dollar. It was around an AU58 grade that the Red Book appraised around 40K. Well off to PCGS. It received an "Authentic" grade with environmental damage. Then it went to Heritage Auction. It sold for 10% of the Red Book price. (Almost 4 thousand dollars) Sometimes we think we have a very valuable coin, but years of the ground freezing and ground movement can cause tiny scratches that will bring down the value of the coin.

Yup, same thing kind of. Mine was a 1860 S Seated Liberty quarter, only 56,000 ever minted. Found it in rough sandy ground. Sent it in, it is now slabbed, marked "Authentic"....with a code# meaning "Cleaned". Oh well, it's mine. and I'll never find another one.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From experience and reading accounts on TN stories like this usually start with "So a friend of mine found a 30 year old radio shack detector in his grandfathers closet so I took him to a field I've hit to death and he found this when he turned it on where we parked the car".

I love it... that's hilarious Mike! :laughing7:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not getting why so many guys would be aghast if their buddies found something good, its not even like you necessarily would have found it if he didn't.
I took my cousin to detect a beach I have been detecting for years, I even let him borrow my sand scoop, he had never detected in sand and very little anywhere else. He found an 18k gold bracelet honker, I think it weighed something like 70 grams, just a monster. I was thrilled for him, not a tinge of regret or jealousy, I was almost as excited for him as if I found it myself. Odds are I never would have found it anyhow, right by a footpath that I always avoid because there is so much trash by it, and it is pretty far from actual water. Seeing his excitement, high fiving, back slapping gave me a genuinely good feeling you couldn't get from much else, never crossed my mind to be spiteful like a 6 year old.

Still never detected by the footpath, not going to change my method based on a fluke. Found 4 gold rings and over a dozen silvers last year so I'm not complaining.

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not getting why so many guys would be aghast if their buddies found something good, its not even like you necessarily would have found it if he didn't.
I took my cousin to detect a beach I have been detecting for years, I even let him borrow my sand scoop, he had never detected in sand and very little anywhere else. He found an 18k gold bracelet honker, I think it weighed something like 70 grams, just a monster. I was thrilled for him, not a tinge of regret or jealousy, I was almost as excited for him as if I found it myself. Odds are I never would have found it anyhow, right by a footpath that I always avoid because there is so much trash by it, and it is pretty far from actual water. Seeing his excitement, high fiving, back slapping gave me a genuinely good feeling you couldn't get from much else, never crossed my mind to be spiteful like a 6 year old.

Still never detected by the footpath, not going to change my method based on a fluke. Found 4 gold rings and over a dozen silvers last year so I'm not complaining.
Nice story. Where’d you bury him after you killed him with the sand scoop? (;

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweetness in all it’s glory