Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4825.JPG image.jpg
Dug this sign up in a ghost town in Sierra gold country. This company dates back to the 1870s-early 1900s. Odd thing is it's aluminum, I had no idea aluminum has been in use as sign material
For that long. A small stamp in the lower right corner says simply "Aluminum Co. Newark N.J."

Attachments

• IMG_4826.JPG
    IMG_4826.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
Upvote 23
OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't make it out but there is a faded monogram in the wreath of a C&K.

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
They also bottled soda. This one I tumbled and accidentally broke just a few days ago. I was bummed.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats still a cool bottle I like that sign thats an awesome piece still legible pretty good shape for being in the ground for that long. That sounds like sweet hunting area.......Tommy

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool sign with beautiful lettering. What size is it?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old signs and that’s a cool early example of aluminium, so we can forgive its battered appearance.

Since aluminium is rarely found as a native metal and the process for extracting it from bauxite even in tiny amounts wasn’t developed until about 1825, it was originally regarded as a precious metal. Even by 1852 it still cost $34 an ounce versus gold at $19 an ounce. Further industrial innovations progressively took the price down to about 4 cents an ounce by 1889 and then it really took off for commercial manufacturing of everyday items.

The New Jersey Aluminum Company was founded in Newark in 1890 and was one of three companies that merged to become the Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company in 1909 (and relocated to the Midwest), so that’s the timeframe for your sign.

Note that my English spell-checker turns its nose up at ‘aluminum’. To avoid any dispute about correctness, how about… just call me Al.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old signs and that’s a cool early example of aluminium, so we can forgive its battered appearance.

Since aluminium is rarely found as a native metal and the process for extracting it from bauxite even in tiny amounts wasn’t developed until about 1825, it was originally regarded as a precious metal. Even by 1852 it still cost $34 an ounce versus gold at $19 an ounce. Further industrial innovations progressively took the price down to about 4 cents an ounce by 1889 and then it really took off for commercial manufacturing of everyday items.

The New Jersey Aluminum Company was founded in Newark in 1890 and was one of three companies that merged to become the Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company in 1909 (and relocated to the Midwest), so that’s the timeframe for your sign.

Note that my English spell-checker turns its nose up at ‘aluminum’. To avoid any dispute about correctness, how about… just call me Al.

Yup, it's a puzzler as to how the English pronounced and spelled certain words different than us Americans. Either you added letters and syllables to words, or we removed them just to be different when our countries were fighting each other way back when. jewelry-jewellery, color-colour, while-whilst, are just a few to add to the list. Oh, and you knuckleheads drive on the wrong side of the road too! :laughing7:

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, should display nice! :occasion14:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a beauty!!! Love the graphics!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread