Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the mountains and rivers, and tried again to get what I missed the other day. I'm going to have to dig soon. I used the Deus and it started sucking small items out of the ground. This time I dug the smaller bits of aluminum as there are a number of smaller items in this one particular field. I ran into a bunch of fire cracked rocks, and at 6" there was still charcoal staining in the soil!

The site overlooks the river on a small flat bluff! Perfect for seeing who's coming up river!

First up was a round ball! Indian and made of lead! Then I started picking up numerous flakes. I think its Onondaga chert, if that's how its spelled. The rocks around are Devonian in age and full of fossils. Unfortunately, not the expensive kind.

Then I spied this nice grinder on top of the ground. The one side is totally flat! IMG_1822.JPG

Not far behind it was a nice net sinker, I think this is the one, as I found two almost identical and put them together in the sorting box before thinking. IMG_1823.JPG

The flakes are almost homogeneous in nature, they are almost all the same material. IMG_1827.JPG

I then circled back and snagged a cuff Rev War period button at about 8" with the Deus. IMG_1826.JPG It's sitting next to a rather fancy flake.

A few feet away was this piece of 18th century Chinese export porcelain. IMG_1824.JPG

I moved a little closer to the little road, now, I haven't covered much ground at all, but I have tried to cover it well.

I got a decent sort of signal and got a tinkle cone. There were more signals and a lot of charcoal in the hole so kept going and it was unreal! IMG_1818.JPG Those are two more Indian tinkle cones worn as ornaments and an Indian made gunflint out of the same material the flakes are made of.

At this point I dug some more and got a sweet sounding signal so dug out a pretty good amount of dirt and saw a glint of silver! A holed pendant in silver. Probably used to be a reale or something, and after a little more digging a 1/2 reale cob! It's pretty bad, but do I really care! No! As I'm going through the dirt, I see a glint of reddish small something. Indian trade beads, and by the time I got done going through the dirt found the rest of these beads and two small pistol balls or buck shot.

The farmer was starting to come my direction on his tractor so I decided to fill the hole (field not planted but by today it is). Unfortunately, I had found no arrowheads at all! Some days you don't.

So I put the detector up and concentrated on looking for points. No luck in that area, even with all the flakes.

I drove about 100' down the dirt road, and got out and spied some fire burned rocks. After looking around a bit I did pull out a couple points. They were HARD to spot! IMG_1825.JPG

On the way out I was driving slower than a turtle in January looking for more fire cracked rocks (you find them, you find arrowheads most of the time), anyway, I'm looking out the window and glance farther away from the truck and see an odd shaped rock in the field. The natural shale rocks are simply not shaped like this.

So I stopped and got out and got over to it (totally mud covered) and thought I had found a large pestle. Uh, re think that.

I started looking at it closer and got the shock of a lifetime. The rock is 13" x 3" x 2" and is quite regular in shape. Both ends were rounded, like the top of an old fashioned tombstone.

I'm thinking WHAT?

I even sent a couple uncleaned pics to some buddies to make sure I simply wasn't losing my mind. They think I've lost my mind, but they all agree on some of the scratchings on the rocks.

IMG_1811.JPG The rock has significant plow hits to it. There are fossils inside, which hasn't helped much in my determining Indian made inscriptions from fossil fragments.

IMG_1812.JPG IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1817.JPG IMG_1814.JPG

I see a figure of a person, what looks like a fish, numerous dots, a leaf shaped thing with hash marks inside it, either a cross, knife or sword, three "V"'s maybe teepees???, and the one face of the rock the plow has destroyed. I used some water soluble tan paint on the lines I think are something. It would have been better had not the one side been destroyed by the plow, so it's not possible to see what might have been there. There is also a face there that is very faint I forgot to highlight. About 1/2" in diameter. I didn't do too good a job with the tan paint. But if I didn't highlight them, someone one day might just throw the piece out!

I suppose this piece is a first, and a last for me. I've been looking for artifacts since I was about 6!

I'll come down off the ceiling soon. Or not.

The silvers! ARRGGGH! Here they are! IMG_1821.JPG I'll try to get a pic of the other little face too. IMG_1830.JPG There are actually circles around each eye, but I have to find my little brush. You might be able to see them without a highlight however.

Last edited:
Upvote 50

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey you have found some great stuff here especially the stone with the inscriptions on it! Great post! Hey can you post some pictures of what these "fire cracked" rocks look like? I'm curious. Thanks and keep up the great finds!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Birthday!!! Keep your eyes open for the small points. Maybe you can scatter the dirt around and come back after it rains. I can't think of a better way to spend the day!! Those tinkles you found are an amazing find also!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xcopperstax, I didn't bring any of them home. I was up there again today and did well. As I was leaving I saw a scrape on the dirt "road" the farmer uses and about 15 small flakes just lying there. Time to get out the screen and shovel.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable finds Smokey.
You ran the gamut on artifacts with these finds. I think you covered every forum here on T-net except Coinstar and dumpster diving (but since there was a fire pit, cross off the dumpster diving forum also.)

Hope the birthday Fairy was just as nice to you today.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. PetesPockets55, I got more musket balls, native American gunflints, part of the inner part to a Rev War shoe buckle, numerous points, and some broken ones, a zillion flakes, a broken pestle, maybe a copper culture bead, other beads, and a turtle!

The turtle was in the field digging a hole to lay eggs. I did get her picture.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! GO CAT GO!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Calabash, you doing much digging now? I have one spot left to hit with a shovel, but don't think I'm doing beaches this year.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey for the update.
When you said "turtle" my mind raced ahead to seeing an image of a NA turtle effigy. LOL

That possible copper trade bead sounds intriguing.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first saw the turtle my mind raced to polished huge artifact!

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump for a friend.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those are some amazing finds! It makes it all worthwhile for sure!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible artifacts! Would be nice to know the story behind the marked stone. Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. It was one of the most awesome digs ever!

Last edited:

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mind boggling. Once again Sir- AWESOME finds!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I looked up some petroglyphs in other sources. I have no idea what they mean for sure. One looks to be a person, the other a leaf or shield, the "V"'s maybe teepes or tents or such.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was anyone else I’d say it “looks like some painted rocks”.
But I believe you.
My first impression was mountains and fish.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the fish is a "given". I hadn't thought of mountains but the piece was found IN the mountains. I think you're correct on that. It's one exceptionally rare piece. Too bad the plow nailed it. Might have been more on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread