sifting an old site....

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty hot and humid but have managed to get a few holes in last weekend. These were all screened at a spot that had mid 1800s occupation and Native American history as well. There is a sherd of sand tempered pottery, a ribber button, clay pipe bowl frags, pistol balls, percussion caps from a revolver as well as a musket. There was an old rimfire casing with no headstamp, and this has been the case for numerous casings found at this site. It was suggested that these are blanks but my research has led me to believe that these were just earlier casings from when arms manufactures made their own. Perhaps this site shows a transitional period of cap and ball to rimfires. I did some research on the button and although the Novelty Rubber Co is easily found, I have only seen examples that have additional backmarkings, none with just the company name. Thanks for lookin, vn.

20200531_180433.jpg 20200601_193302.jpg 20200601_193351.jpg

Upvote 11

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome sifting finds, really cool!!

I have found clay pipe fragments before with a black looking lining like yours. I can't figure out what could have caused it or if it is natural from the firing process. Do you have any idea about this?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff villagenut !! I always love your sifting posts !! Love to see Florida's history being dug. People dont always believe it but floridas history predates the pilgrims by quite a bit !! Congrats !!

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome sifting finds, really cool!!

I have found clay pipe fragments before with a black looking lining like yours. I can't figure out what could have caused it or if it is natural from the firing process. Do you have any idea about this?

I would assume it is old tobacco staining but most that I find do not have any staining whatsoever. But I suppose a lot has to do with soil condition.

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff villagenut !! I always love your sifting posts !! Love to see Florida's history being dug. People dont always believe it but floridas history predates the pilgrims by quite a bit !! Congrats !!

Thanks Bb , that is so true. Florida has a lot of history....Native American, Spanish, Civil War, Seminole Wars, early settlers and even some pirates plowed our waters. And you dont have to go far to find it....

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some info that might interest!

The most common back mark found on hard rubber buttons (and other objects) is from the Novelty Rubber Co. which usually shows as "N.R. Co." abbreviated on buttons. N.R. Co. was founded 1853, incorporated 1855 and produced until 1886. Other marks found on hard rubber buttons and objects are: India Rubber Comb Co. (IRC Co.) and American Hard Rubber Co. (AHR Co.) and there may be others including "India Rubber". The "India Rubber" mark does not have the Goodyear patent information and may have been made in England or France or could be considered a "pirated" item lacking the required patent info. I know of one button style with this back mark, a cameo profile, one can assume this is an antique button due to the styling, it is not thought to have been made by any of the large companies noted above.

Hard rubber buttons will differ from other look-alike materials because they are back marked. Some dyed, pressed horn buttons are also back marked but they should not be confused. The company names shown above will appear on hard rubber buttons and objects, horn has different marks.

Collectors call hard rubber buttons "Goodyear buttons", Charles Goodyear held the patent but did not make any buttons. A relative of Charles Goodyear did produce pewter metal buttons much earlier than rubber buttons made an appearance, his name was Amasa Goodyear. Charles Goodyear's vulcanization patent expired in 1865. However, the Goodyear hard rubber patent of May 6, 1851 (covering buttons, combs, etc.) was extended (by Nelson Goodyear) in 1865 and did not expire until May 6, 1872. After the patent expired in 1872, the largest manufacturers still put their names on items they made. Many later Novelty Rubber Co. buttons are marked with only "Novelty Rubber Co." Additionally, the India Rubber Comb Co. (IRC Co.) used their name along with "Goodyear 1851" as a trademark and their successor, The American Hard Rubber Co., filed this as an official trademark in 1906 and used it at least through 1917.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes sifting is the only way to get the goodies. :occasion14:

When I visit button dumps, my sifter works magic!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some info that might interest!

The most common back mark found on hard rubber buttons (and other objects) is from the Novelty Rubber Co. which usually shows as "N.R. Co." abbreviated on buttons. N.R. Co. was founded 1853, incorporated 1855 and produced until 1886. Other marks found on hard rubber buttons and objects are: India Rubber Comb Co. (IRC Co.) and American Hard Rubber Co. (AHR Co.) and there may be others including "India Rubber". The "India Rubber" mark does not have the Goodyear patent information and may have been made in England or France or could be considered a "pirated" item lacking the required patent info. I know of one button style with this back mark, a cameo profile, one can assume this is an antique button due to the styling, it is not thought to have been made by any of the large companies noted above.

Hard rubber buttons will differ from other look-alike materials because they are back marked. Some dyed, pressed horn buttons are also back marked but they should not be confused. The company names shown above will appear on hard rubber buttons and objects, horn has different marks.

Collectors call hard rubber buttons "Goodyear buttons", Charles Goodyear held the patent but did not make any buttons. A relative of Charles Goodyear did produce pewter metal buttons much earlier than rubber buttons made an appearance, his name was Amasa Goodyear. Charles Goodyear's vulcanization patent expired in 1865. However, the Goodyear hard rubber patent of May 6, 1851 (covering buttons, combs, etc.) was extended (by Nelson Goodyear) in 1865 and did not expire until May 6, 1872. After the patent expired in 1872, the largest manufacturers still put their names on items they made. Many later Novelty Rubber Co. buttons are marked with only "Novelty Rubber Co." Additionally, the India Rubber Comb Co. (IRC Co.) used their name along with "Goodyear 1851" as a trademark and their successor, The American Hard Rubber Co., filed this as an official trademark in 1906 and used it at least through 1917.

Wow...nice work on the info smallfoot...good stuff there !!

OP
OP
villagenut

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes sifting is the only way to get the goodies. :occasion14:

When I visit button dumps, my sifter works magic!

I often times bring buckets of good ole dirt home from old sites and water screen it in the backyard.....my wife thinks I am nuts:tongue3:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just lucky on a search!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread