1795 Capped Liberty! - My first Large Cent! - And Its A Good One!

Gavinsdiscoveries

Dec 8, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoooooo! I cannot believe what I found yesterday!

I was metal detecting on a large wooded hillside in Pennsylvania looking for antique shotgun shells. My metal detector sounded a blip that said there was iron under a log. I know from experience that logs have a tendency to mask good signals so In kicked it aside. Thank god I did.

The blip turned into the sound of a shotgun shell. I dug 4 inches down and saw what I believed was a pewter spoon. Exited, I pulled out my camera and started filming. I reached in and pulled out a disk! I flipped it over and saw a colonial-style face staring at me! At first, I thought I found a woods Hibernia, But no it was way better!

I rased the coin into the sun and saw a hat suspended on a pole.

HOLY MOLY! I JUST FOUND A 1793 - 1796 CAPPED LIBERTY LARGE CENT! WHOOOOOOOO!

This coin is beautiful! Through the dirt, the impeccable details shine! But sadly there’s a drawback. : (

It appears the coin has the famed red and green pit corrosion. Ahhhhhh!

It seems like the coins I find either come out in perfect shape or destroyed.

Do any of you have experience with this type of corrosion? I have gently taken a toothpick to the edge and it appears that the highly acidic soil has eaten at the copper for 200 years. From what I can see through the tiny fissure in the corrosion, the entire surface has minute pits the size of sandpaper covering the entire surface. This corrosion kills me! I don’t believe it has any patina Even with the dirt on it, I am happy that I can see the face, hair, side lettering, and liberty. Sadly no date ( I’m assuming 1795 ) is it worth the risk of cleaning it or should I leave it alone?

While we're on the topic? How much is a coin like with worth in this shape? I dont think id ever sell it because its awesome! Good luck out there, stay safe, and Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1838350

View attachment 1838351

View attachment 1838352

View attachment 1838353

View attachment 1838354

IMG_2644.JPG

What a lovely day!

Upvote 10

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's 2 am where I am on June 2nd & I open up "TreasureNet" to see this spectacular find !
Congrats on your first large cent !! It's a great story & a great find. If it's a 1793, that would be even greater !!
Unfortunately, I am unable to view your attachments. (it says invalid) Try to get some good pictures. Maybe someone here
can somehow zero in on the date for you. Good luck !! Cheers ! J.T.G.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant see the attachments?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice field.:dontknow:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find !

I can't see the photo's either.

If you try to remove the heavy green patina ( aka Verdigris ) from a copper coin a lot of the detail will usually fall off !
A pretty safe way to clean old copper coins is to soak them in Olive Oil for a few weeks or even up to few months depending on how encrusted the coin is.
Take the coin out of the Olive Oil every few days or so and gently remove some of the crud a little at a time with a wooden Toothpick .

It's up to you - Good Luck !

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and looking forward to the images appearing, magically!

The only image showing is the one of the field.
(All the others say "invalid attachment" like others have said.)

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't see the attachments, but Congrats on that awesome find- I guess only a chain cent as your first LC could've topped it- amazing!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that coin Im still looking for my first. My best finds have been on Hills and that spot looks like an awesome place to hunt Great job.....Tommy

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Pictures?