Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings-

A four hour woodsy hunt on Monday proved quite productive. The star of the day was a 1904-S Barber dime. This is a semi-key date coin with only 800,000 minted that year. Close by were a couple of IHP's

007.JPG 008.JPG

I've never found such a low mintage coin. Is it worth having it graded by PCGS or NGC?

During this same trip I found a nice 2-piece military button, and some other interesting pieces

001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

Thanks for taking a look.

Upvote 28

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some really nice finds, awesome coins and button! That barber is in amazing condition! :icon_thumleft:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Great finds ! The 1904-S Barber Dime is about a $350.00 coin in E.F.. If you are going to keep it, I don't think slabbing is the way to go.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you slab it they will label it enviormentally damaged. Thats a great find awesome button and the other relics are cool to looks like some old stuff .Gotta be a blast hunting that site..Keep rippin.......Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice hunt! :icon_thumleft:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that coin it looks like it's in great shape and although it's not as coveted it seems to be about as rare as in 1877 IHP in terms of coin production! That button looks like a Mass Militia button which is a stellar find in my opinion. I've found one Mass Militia and I now need to find all styles!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on selling the dime, it might be a good idea to slab it. Otherwise, if it's something you're going to keep, get a hard plastic holder for it for protection and enjoy! The decision to slab or not may depend on the actual condition and grade, which from your photo, is hard to decide. Any minor scratches in your cleaning process might get you a "environmental damage" designation, or, at least a "cleaned" or "improperly cleaned" tag on the holder. A local experienced coin dealer might be able to advise you in that decision.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins. I may be biased, but that Mass militia button is my favorite of these finds.Congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds fellow Mass hunter- I don't know how I managed to leave that Barber for you! My question about grading would be, did you clean it or wipe it when it was dirty? I am a member of PCGS and haven't had much luck with coins coming back without the tag "Environmental Damage" on the label, but if it's uncleaned and not badly scratched, I'd do it- your looks easily like an XF or higher and that's several hundred $$, plus if there's no cursed words on the label, it can only make it more valuable. GL!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that beautiful Barber, IHC'S and button. It dont get much better than that.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread