Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We were detecting on Kent Island in Maryland this past Sunday and reviewed our finds at the end of the hunt. My friend showed me a crescent-shaped fragment that I mistook initially as a button piece. I pointed out to him that there appeared to be letters about the rim. Here are close-up photos of the cleaned piece.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1423.JPG

Kent Island was settled by Europeans in 1631 when Kent Fort was built on the southern tip of the island. Possession of the island fell into dispute and was taken over by the Calverts. The area was active in early trading being located along the Chesapeake Bay.

I was intrigued by this fragment and began working on the premise that it is a cut coin piece. Research of British and Spanish coinage soon eliminated those countries' coinage, as I found no matches with the stylistic features of the letters on the two sides of the fragment. I had a sense that the coin may be of Dutch origin and some fortuitous online research lead me to a likely match with the Netherland lion silver daalder, minted 1606 - 1697.

Below is an example of the obverse of a 1610 silver daalder and to its right the composite image of the fragment match to a 1623 daalder; match region is between 1 and 2 o'clock.

86620f.jpg Lion-1623.obv comp.jpg

Similarly, here is a reverse of the 1610 daalder and alongside the fragment match to a 1623 version; match region is now between 2 and 3 o'clock.

86620b.jpg Lion-1623.rev comp.jpg

We are excited to have this early find that links the location to early European habitation and look forward to searching for more evidence.

Last edited:
Upvote 24

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You put in some great work identifying your friend's coin. Nice work!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Great ID!! Congrats!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome find and great research which can be alot of fun..Looks like its time for a serious grid search......Tommy

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would think since the Dutch had a presence throughout southern New England and the MidAtlantic in the 17th century that at least a few Dutch coins would turn up once in awhile. However they seem to be rarer a find than even a tree coin. What else was found at that site?

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, toasted. It’s been an amazing set of fields. Typical finds of roundballs, buttons, and brass and copper pieces have been complemented by large cents, a half cent, several capped bust coins, seated quarters, half reales , a one reale, and at least one cut 8 that I know of. My silver coin count from these fields is 5 and my friend who found this cut coin had found 9 silvers.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome ID, congrats! :occasion14:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a awesome find and ID. Great find for your friend. Glad you both got to admire and learn about it. Wtg!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread