TOWcritters Mill Site Update PICS!

TOWcritter

These are a few pics of finds that I've made in the last week or so. No coins yet but check out the slave chains? Give me your opinion on them please. The coins are too deep I'm sure. But I'm still looking. The last pic is of a foundation a friend told me about. Out in the woods. 1800's, early by the looks of the stonework. It definitely burned down. Found a silver locket there and a 1930's fly fishing reel in decent shape. A whole lot of trash there. More pics next post.

Attachments

• P4140397 (Small).JPG
    P4140397 (Small).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Tow,
Neat finds, not sure it's a slave chain or what. Finding chains and big metal loops/rings at old sites is fun cause I can't imagine what they did with them... and I imagine the dismay they had when they lost them.

Any idea of time period that the site was utilized?

Good luck.

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't imagine that a flat button or coin are waiting there for you!? What is the ground like as far as mineralization. Does you machine run fairly stable so you can turn the sensitivity up? Have you dug more than iron there and is it super trashy?

Arch

OP
OP
TOWcritter

TOWcritter

Super trashy. I have an MXT. Soil is around 80 to 92 mineralization. I am hunting with a 5" excellerator coil there now and I can crank up the gain to +1 or +2 most of the time. Some spots (2) have a very low mineralization , around 25 to 29. I can't figure out why though.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Maybe there's a lot of iron and rust in certain creas. A magnet would let you know just how bad it is. May be masking other items if there's enough of it.

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that is a tough area. Those spots could be a bottle dump but more likely a privy...wouldn't that be cool. I ended up making a screen for a cellar hole that I dug 45+ flat buttons alone out of. It was a great site, not to mention a perfect 1829 large cent and a 1801 half cent! Had to spend about 100+ hours out there to work through all the iron.

Keep it up and good luck Devil Dog!

Arch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread