1850's Pontil Glass Double 'XX' Dug in NYC!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caught the outgoing tide today in serch of antique bottles. Was not disappointed, found several very old ones including an 1850's-60's hand blown blob top with a pontil mark on the bottom! This bottle says 'R.C.&T. NEW YORK' and on back it says 'XX'.
20200609_201556.jpg

Quick google serch says it is likely 1850's mineral water or alcohol but not sure what the aberration stands for. Other bottles are neat too but not as interesting as a pre-Civil War pontil dug in NYC!
20200609_224858.jpg
20200609_230247.jpg
Sun was setting so I didn't have much time to dig but this particular site netted me two blobs, one tooled crown top, and a Bromo in less than 30 minutes under poor light conditions so I am definitely headed back. Had to walk over a mile through weeds and mud to get to it though.

Upvote 41

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Had to walk over a mile through weeds and mud to get to it though."

Great finds! I imagine living in the city with that many people you have to think outside the box to find good places to hunt. Keep up the good work! Gary

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that bottle is a beauty and it looks like you found some other great keepers! I love seeing the stuff come out of the city as that's the type of environment I am usually hunting too!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice bottle finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man...I like that !! Now that's a nice all american bottle !! I dont know any values nor do i care....I'm still voting banner for it cause it's beautiful and i can !! Wooo hooo !!

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find them in Dead Horse Bay?

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find them in Dead Horse Bay?

Ha ha, Adele would kill me and steal it from me if I found this at Dead Horse. Also last time I tried to get into DH the place was sealed off by cops bc the place is apparently closed due to the lockdown, don't know if it's open again as of yet.Theoretically you probably can find stuff this old there (because the timeline IS there) but the 1950's stuff honestly is just too abundant. No, I found this in a secret location really difficult to get to in another part of the city. Really don't take too many bottles from DH, but it's a good place to find toasted wheat cents and the world's worst mercury dimes lol.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man...I like that !! Now that's a nice all american bottle !! I dont know any values nor do i care....I'm still voting banner for it cause it's beautiful and i can !! Wooo hooo !!

Yeah, aprently was for some kind of soda and was made for Robinson, Charlesworth & Tryner of New York City in about 1849-1856. The fact that it stayed undisturbed in the place it was dropped for 160 years is crazy to think about. Maybe the Daybreak Boys (NYC river pirates who operated during that time) took a few swigs from it before chucking it. :laughing7:

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I've had the please of meeting Adele and I think she liked me because I gave her my marbles!I know a Trime was found here and gold.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now there's a great hunt, congratulations on the beautiful finds.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats !!!! love the blobs and the crown !!!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ron P

Apr 14, 2009
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I've been watching a YouTuber that mudlarks there, he's been going there recently. Adele is a Trip!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching a YouTuber that mudlarks there, he's been going there recently. Adele is a Trip!

Yeah, I like telling her that I'm going to find a gold coin before she does and then she'll go and find some extravagant thing and rub it in my face after all I find is a few wheat pennies and a toasted mercury dime. I used to go there alot but haven't been there in several months now. If it wasn't for the amazing amount of stuff I probably would never go there again because there are hot spots of radiation that most people don't know about. I bring my radiation detector with me every time I go there because there is significant contamination and the detector tells me which places to avoid. The area with pilings covered in tar by the bridge is the worst contaminated place so remember to avoid that. One thing I like doing that I know nobody does at Dead Horse is collecting the Uranium Glass, at night it can be found very easily with a black light as it glows bright green just like in the cartoons (see picture) 20200128_182521.jpg Radium paint will also glow under black light, alot of radium paint and clock factories that operated in Brooklyn back then tossed their radioactive paint and you can find it with black light at night, and then confirm it with a radiation detector 20200128_174637.jpg 20200128_182521.jpg
The majority of what Dead Horse has of value are small silver coins but they are bad condition, you can find gold there but it is very difficult to find anything of real value, most common gold thing to find is 14k fountain pen nibs which are worth about $10 or so each.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread