Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick hunt at a local school yard with my MX-Sport and out pops a super toasted radiator cap who’d a thunk it. Love this stuff. Thanks for the look.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592179404.221704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592179435.136033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592179455.223920.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592179487.324971.jpg

Upvote 19

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Such a cool find!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely toasted! Thanks for sharing!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool piece of automobile history! :occasion14:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful find, there has to be some way to preserve it though? :icon_scratch:
Looks like it's made of white metal plated in zinc, unfortunately now that it's exposed to the air it's literally going to fall apart.
Dave

Restoration
Restoration means repair, renovation and chrome plating of old vehicle parts. Chrome plating of vehicle parts is very popular in spite of the fact that in vehicle industry it was only introduced about from 1925. Surface chrome plating creates mirror-like metalized coating, which significantly increases resistance to wear, corrosion and external influences, also renders excellent decorative appearance, making the vehicle look unique and inimitable.

Restoration Process
Restoration of vehicle parts consists of several complex mechanical and electro-chemical metal-processing processes. It starts from electro-chemical removal of the old plating. Complexity and duration of mechanical processing of surface and its preparation for chrome plating depend on condition of a part and corrosion depth; quite frequently we restore parts with ‘pits’. Chrome plating of a part to be restored comprises three metal-plating processes: copper plating, nickel plating and chrome plating.

The copper plating is used as an under-layer /prime plating/, which allows leveling small surface irregularities, dents and scratches, and provides surface shining. Before plating a part with nickel, its copper surface must be carefully polished. This is one of the most important steps to obtain the final chromed mirror-like plating. The nickel plating is used as intermediary protective layer before chrome plating. Then the nickel surface is chrome plated.

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful find, there has to be some way to preserve it though? :icon_scratch:
Looks like it's made of white metal plated in zinc, unfortunately now that it's exposed to the air it's literally going to fall apart.
Dave

Restoration
Restoration means repair, renovation and chrome plating of old vehicle parts. Chrome plating of vehicle parts is very popular in spite of the fact that in vehicle industry it was only introduced about from 1925. Surface chrome plating creates mirror-like metalized coating, which significantly increases resistance to wear, corrosion and external influences, also renders excellent decorative appearance, making the vehicle look unique and inimitable.

Restoration Process
Restoration of vehicle parts consists of several complex mechanical and electro-chemical metal-processing processes. It starts from electro-chemical removal of the old plating. Complexity and duration of mechanical processing of surface and its preparation for chrome plating depend on condition of a part and corrosion depth; quite frequently we restore parts with ‘pits’. Chrome plating of a part to be restored comprises three metal-plating processes: copper plating, nickel plating and chrome plating.

The copper plating is used as an under-layer /prime plating/, which allows leveling small surface irregularities, dents and scratches, and provides surface shining. Before plating a part with nickel, its copper surface must be carefully polished. This is one of the most important steps to obtain the final chromed mirror-like plating. The nickel plating is used as intermediary protective layer before chrome plating. Then the nickel surface is chrome plated.

Gotta be something. Hair spray or epoxy? I’ll try something and post pictures. Thanks

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gotta be something. Hair spray or epoxy? I’ll try something and post pictures. Thanks

I was thinking along the same lines as using an epoxy as well. :thumbsup:
Maybe consider taking it to a body shop or a car restoration place and see what they'd recommend before you attempt a restoration that may potentially go wrong.

Just a thought... Dave

Attachments

• Auto Restoration Turners Falls, Montague, MA.png
    Auto Restoration Turners Falls, Montague, MA.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 47

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that old indian overheated:laughing7:

Seriously thats an awsome find though. Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cool I love stuff like that you dont see those very often. Hope you can find a way to preserve it...Well done.......Tommy

OP
OP
Electricbutter

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking along the same lines as using an epoxy as well. :thumbsup:
Maybe consider taking it to a body shop or a car restoration place and see what they'd recommend before you attempt a restoration that may potentially go wrong.

Just a thought... Dave

Couldn’t hurt to ask. Thanks

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyanoacrylate/super glue. The thin kind, not the gel. The object is in danger of coming apart from just handling. I've worked with it with amazing results. Super glue in all those major cracks would lock it together pretty good. And slowly all those gaps will disappear with multiple coats until you fill them up. Its slow because of the wait in between coats. I've seen some real crevices disappear. You keep coating until you have built up a surface of super glue and when that hardens you can lightly sand the surface and then polish. This is just my own evaluation of this. In the shape it's in, I'm not sure anyone will advise you to try, but see what a car guy would say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread