My Shang-Ri-La, Hole In One, White Whale, Royal Flush, Bestest Ever Find Ever!,, OM

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve got two Banner Finds under my belt, and while I’m forever grateful for the luck and blessings of those finds....Ain’t gonna lie, this crushes them.
Slumming around small towns here in Mountain Maryland, looking for permissions, striking out left and right, I headed out to a sure beep. A long ago bull-dozed lot, has some history, but loaded with trash, I find this on the surface, before I coiled it...
2EBD29AB-AB42-42A8-94C6-8DB786AA28FA.jpeg
She’s all pretty and green, 1899 Indian! Sweet!
But lots of trash, a few wheats, time to bounce.
I see this neighbor guy watching me, so I head over to brag about my my finds....permission for his 1880 house?, Granted!
So I’m bopping along, scratching out copper roofing shards, modern clad, and the occasional relics.... keys, locks, drawer pulls... garbage I happily gave to the owner as a Thank You for the permission.
Then, WOW! Something I’ve never found before... a wax seal,
the letter N .... Perfect for the long-time owner of the mansion....I’m keeping this!
0EF66ED7-230E-4F58-A4DF-D98E33EFB50F.jpeg 8903C1DF-3697-4E65-9350-0562BE98195B.jpeg

So I’m conflicted, I finally find something totally awesome, but I’m keeping it on the down-low, cuz I don’t wanna give it away.

Can’t believe there’s no silver, gotta be something here....

So I’ve covered 95% of the turf, getting tired, gotta pee...getting late
Then this happened.
D188B8D8-18F1-407A-8B12-5211FF95F58E.jpeg 0C427A9B-B1F3-4E8B-889D-8205D5262E41.jpeg

Never, ever, did I ever expect to pull this from a residential lawn in Western Maryland...
South of the Mason Dixon Line, so this has gotta be Civ in the hole, right?

I screamed like a school girl, candy-danced like a teen on TikTok, and am still losing my friggin mind.
Whacked by a mower blade, or plow? Bent? Crusty? You bet! But she’s mine.... in all of her historical glory....

Experts weigh in.... US buckles have only ever been things I’ve read about, never dreamed of finding.

Upvote 41

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the way you put the plate toward the END of the post. Makes it more fun that way.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing to do is go back and go slow. Very slow. I'd anxious to see what you find!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A most awesome find Dave. Congrats and here's a toast :occasion14: to finding lots more on your many returns to the site.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a find! It always seems the best finds happen when you least expect them. Congratulations!

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the kind words and overwhelming response...
Never did I ever expect to pull this out of the ground...
I’m afraid to clean it anymore to decipher any initials or crude artwork on the back, I’ll have to be patient and careful if I do try to get it cleaner.
A customer of mine offered me $50 bucks for it... so now I’m wondering... what’s this bad boy worth? Seen prices all over the place, no plans on selling it, just curious.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably $125-$175 in the real world. More if you can ID it to a particular regiment that went through there or can make out something on the back. Go back and hunt those tiny squeaker signals which sometimes are tiny $1 US gold coins.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’d trade this boy in a heartbeat for a gold coin.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You described the house as a mansion, so I would assume it's a nice lawn. I think I would hold off digging those squeaker signals until late fall. It's dry as hell in SW PA and you're not that far away.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You described the house as a mansion, so I would assume it's a nice lawn. I think I would hold off digging those squeaker signals until late fall. It's dry as hell in SW PA and you're not that far away.

Yeah Steve, it has been dry the last month or so... but my permission didn’t flinch when I broke out the lesche and 5x8 coil
I found a 2003 state quarter 6 inches deep, told her the old silver “must be deeper”, she told me to get a bigger knife lol

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the plate itself was only about two inches deep on a slope.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread