My Shang-Ri-La, Hole In One, White Whale, Royal Flush, Bestest Ever Find Ever!,, OM

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve got two Banner Finds under my belt, and while I’m forever grateful for the luck and blessings of those finds....Ain’t gonna lie, this crushes them.
Slumming around small towns here in Mountain Maryland, looking for permissions, striking out left and right, I headed out to a sure beep. A long ago bull-dozed lot, has some history, but loaded with trash, I find this on the surface, before I coiled it...
2EBD29AB-AB42-42A8-94C6-8DB786AA28FA.jpeg
She’s all pretty and green, 1899 Indian! Sweet!
But lots of trash, a few wheats, time to bounce.
I see this neighbor guy watching me, so I head over to brag about my my finds....permission for his 1880 house?, Granted!
So I’m bopping along, scratching out copper roofing shards, modern clad, and the occasional relics.... keys, locks, drawer pulls... garbage I happily gave to the owner as a Thank You for the permission.
Then, WOW! Something I’ve never found before... a wax seal,
the letter N .... Perfect for the long-time owner of the mansion....I’m keeping this!
0EF66ED7-230E-4F58-A4DF-D98E33EFB50F.jpeg 8903C1DF-3697-4E65-9350-0562BE98195B.jpeg

So I’m conflicted, I finally find something totally awesome, but I’m keeping it on the down-low, cuz I don’t wanna give it away.

Can’t believe there’s no silver, gotta be something here....

So I’ve covered 95% of the turf, getting tired, gotta pee...getting late
Then this happened.
D188B8D8-18F1-407A-8B12-5211FF95F58E.jpeg 0C427A9B-B1F3-4E8B-889D-8205D5262E41.jpeg

Never, ever, did I ever expect to pull this from a residential lawn in Western Maryland...
South of the Mason Dixon Line, so this has gotta be Civ in the hole, right?

I screamed like a school girl, candy-danced like a teen on TikTok, and am still losing my friggin mind.
Whacked by a mower blade, or plow? Bent? Crusty? You bet! But she’s mine.... in all of her historical glory....

Experts weigh in.... US buckles have only ever been things I’ve read about, never dreamed of finding.

Upvote 41

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That surely is one AMAZING find BWD! Your post ( especially the title) says it all. Major Congrats to you!
PS- I think I would have peed my pants if I saw that beauty sitting n the hole...especially if I already needed to ...you know....go.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go. What a lot of people don't realize is the soldiers brought a lot of stuff home, and eventually tossed it out back or gave it to the kids to play with, at which point it got lost. My best Confederate buckle was found out back of a house with absolutely no history of CW action or encampment. Most of my CW good items have come from long gone houses, near rail lines or near old roads. Very few from camp sites and battlefields.

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go. What a lot of people don't realize is the soldiers brought a lot of stuff home, and eventually tossed it out back or gave it to the kids to play with, at which point it got lost. My best Confederate buckle was found out back of a house with absolutely no history of CW action or encampment. Most of my CW good items have come from long gone houses, near rail lines or near old roads. Very few from camp sites and battlefields.

Turns out, there was Civil War history at this location.... Troops marched right through here.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of the marks on the back look like more than plow strikes. blow the pic up and take a look . seems like letters to me. D H Z .
great find .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, keep rotating the back of the plate. It also looks like some scribbles there along with damage from other sources.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Dave.

Well done... now go back ASAP.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duh, I forgot that part. Go back and see about neighboring properties also. Been a rough week.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOOO hoooo.....nice dave, that is incredible, especially way up there !! Congrats !!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Not any of those kind of finds here in the Pacific Northwest.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cartridge box plate Dave. Let's of troops passed through western Maryland, especially on the national road. I agree with others. The markings on the back look intentional.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the killer hunt! That plate is fantastic! :notworthy:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the way I scrolled through this on my small phone screen. At first I was like, "man he's real excited over that IH.. I mean it's a great find and all.." :icon_scratch:

Then I see the wax seal and I'm thinking oh okay maybe those are super rare..

..and THEN the buckle. Now I get it.

Excellent start to a new hunting ground! Can't wait to see what you dig up next!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find! I love how excited you are about this. It definitely conveys well through the computer. Just awesome!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big congratulations Dave. I have been swingin my detector here in mountain Maryland for 18 years, including civil war camps and the site of a minor battle and a fort in West Virginia and have not found a civil war belt buckle or box plate. Way to go Dave! Welcome to the neighborhood you lucky guy. Stay safe and keep swingin.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Smokie , Well said Australian farms are the same wars going back 200 years. My WW 1 finds would make few eyes drop out . Lucky to find as many goods as this post. TP

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very happy for you, BWD. So awesome to make a find you never thought you would ever make. But it’s the very possibility of that that is the fuel that drives us to do what we do.
Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread