Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what you do when you don't think you've found anything exciting after hunting for the week. You look at alllll the details of the finds that you thought were so measly. :P

After a week of hunting and not having anything exciting to share, I thought I'd go back to the box of this weeks finds and just take a look at what I'd really found. I think I've become spoiled to finding at least one good keeper something when I go hunting, but this week was really slow....till I went back and looked at the details. :) Now these finds aren't spectacular by any means, but an eye opener of sorts. How many times do you dig something up and toss it aside without really giving it a good once-over?
Here are my finds..........
100_9814.jpg

And here are some details......... ;)
Found this little button that I thought was a washer before I really looked at it.
It's got a train on it!!
100_9817.jpg

Here's another button with a nice little design.......
100_9816.jpg

And look at these two...got a pat. date!
100_9818.jpg

Found this nasty looking little buckle today...but look at the neat design on it...
100_9819.jpg

One day this week Lisa and I went hunting at a new site. It was sooo trashy you didn't have a clue what was going to be found! :-X Dug this target, thought it was another piece of trash, but turns out to be a piece to a Monopoly game....the hat!
100_9821-1.jpg

I did manage five wheats...1926, 1928, 1941 and 1953, a couple of purdy good bullets and two more tax tokens to add to my collection! ;D

Just happy to have had the opportunity to go out and play. :) Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

Find something good!!! Nana ;)

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are still some decent finds Nana.

There are hard times in this hobby. I've gone out and not got any keepers before. I've had alot of these types of outings. I had one a few weeks ago. Pulled some relics and 14 wheats. I went out last weekend with Lance.

We just upgraded him to a dfx. Then I programed it with the settings I use. Now it's like hunting against myself. He finds a nice silver ring at the first site. At the second site it was slow. So I said lets cross the street and hit those woods.

Wouldn't you know he finds his first barber half. He was so excited. A nice one to. It was a 1908 S. I have a pyle of finds to post that I think are meager as well. Lots of wheats not alot of silver. I did make a first find though. I'll have to get it posted.

Take care better outings are along the way.

HH Jer

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Nana...

Great post! You're right... details are afterthoughts... sometimes it's necessary to go back and enjoy them out of context. :)

And by the way... nicely done... I really enjoyed that trip through your weeks finds. :)

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Thanks for the story Nana, I enjoyed it along with the pictures. I guess even our junk finds are worth a second look!
HH girl..........

Desertfox

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sometimes it does get tough doesnt it. persistace pays though. ;) just when i am not expecting something, thats when i find something cool! i dunno.......that monopoly piece is kinda interesting.looks like you found a couple of old hem weights as well. and those rings :o. i even like finding the costume jewelry rings! ;) i guess they just as easily could have been gold or silver couldnt they?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Very nice Relics there Nana.

It paid to find them Twice.

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
That's good info,I guilty don't want to carry all that trash home.I need a small bucket in my truck and check it later.Great info,thanks.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana ,that has happened to me ! I almost threw away half of a Roman fibula .I thought it was junk.My buddy said don't threw it away and the next day he showed me a pic off the net of one that was almost a perfect match.Now if I could have just found the other half.LOL

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hey Nana thats a nice little pile of relics! I found a button just like yours this summer,looks like the wreath off the back of a LC.Not sure what the purpose of that design was,maybe you could just rip one off your coat and spend it as a half cent if money was tight, LOL, Bootstrap

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,
Great post. Very neat details. I know what you mean. A little scrubbing from a toothbrush seems to turns trash into treasures sometimes. Even though we have no idea what some decorative pieces are sometimes, they are still great finds to me. That train is so cool. Congrats on all of your finds.
I too just became a "Hem weight" member yesterday. I thought it was an old button. ;) Here's mine.
Have a great w/end.
-MM-

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,087

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Nana since we are buds I just want to say one thing. . .

I told you so!!!

Remember the CTH when you were just going to toss all those shotgun shell head stamps?? Some people collect those and pay money for rare ones. Always clean up what you find before tossing it. I found a piece of mystery metal the other day at a hunt, started to toss it but decided to run it under water. Turns out it was a reed to a harmonica. Not a great find in and of itself but it does tell me to go back and look at that place again, especially since it was the same place BB found his little tag thing with the C and W on it.

I wonder how many people have thrown away something that was actually a good find?

Your finds are very cool. I would love to go somewhere and find that quality of buttons, the monopoly piece is cool and I KNOW there are memebers on this forum that still haven't found their FIRST wheat penny. Keep swinging and try and do what I was doing when I first started and then just went back to, look at your finds with the wonder of a child. You would be amazed at how GREAT your finds become when you do that. (It helps that I have a 2 y/o that loves to go through my finds with me and is always excited even at the pulltabs) ;D :D :D ;D

Look at those rings. Those are trumpet parts in the top of your post, you just have great stuff that I would love to be able to find.

Good job and great post.
LD

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post, Nana.....it reminds us all to really look at what we're diggin....like we did when we first started detecting.

I love the key....and the rings look pretty nice, too....and the buckles. I'll take those.....and .................. ;)

Um...your choice of background.....Nanners? Are you taking a trip to Warsaw soon?? ;)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post Nana, shows that you should really clean those so called junk items, you never know what is hidden under that dirt.
My best example is the plain flat buttons, the Andrew Jackson campaign buttons were plain on the front and if you don't clean the backside of the button you will never know if you have one of those valuable pieces or history or not............
Again, nice post and educational too.

Don

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nana! Isn't it neat to find surprises like that? (All the encrusted copper stuff I find are memorials :D)

Take care,
Watercolor

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've heard that statistics are like bikinis: what they reveal is interesting, what they conceal is vital! The same way with some of our finds; sometimes, there is just enough dirt to conceal some very interesting things. In your case, that seems to have happened. Nice finds!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana, great finds, you know those hem or coat weights are very old as well. We find them in Civil War camps here in Mo.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Nana,

neat group of finds.

Always interesting going over
past finds. What you found and memories
of where you found it.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un........