glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this is the wrong forum for this question please take it down. I have been digging this site since Oct of 2019 .It has been the best producer of old bottles I ever dug Yesterday I found what I think is the oldest bottle I ever found .However I am not having any success on learning anything about it . It has a blue or aqua frosted appearance to it .That makes it hard to get a good picture of the images on the front and back On the front it looks like a man playing some type of musical instrument A guitar, a banjo the bagpipes .it is hard to tell At the bottom is has Balt. MD stamped on it On the back it looks like the same guy dancing . The top is a crudely made . It has no other markings that I can tell How ever the bottom looks like it might have an open pontil I have never found one to know for sure what they look like . IF anyone has any info as far as dates or other info I would appreciate it I am adding a couple more pictures but as I said before I am having trouble getting a clear picture of it due to the frosty look of the glass Thanks for any info on this flask View attachment 1844545 IMG_0729.JPG View attachment 1844546 IMG_0719.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 13

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great find. I seem to be having trouble opening the attachments. Might be on my end though. Anyways, Congrats!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pics. Awesome looking old bottle. Some here on Tnet could give you some good ID help hopefully. Nice save!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome bottle! It's great to see an open pontil on the bottom. Still a bucket list for me after 50yrs, have dug shards-but not whole. Pre 1870 Though a rough guess is in the 1845-50. Need more time researching image though.
https://sha.org/bottle/pontil_scars.htm

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken about 30 pictures so far and none of them are all that good The color of the glass is blue or aqua and it is frosty looking So even when I have it in my hand the image on the bottle is not all that clear .I will try some other backgrounds to see if something else shows the image better .Meanwhile here are a few that I already took View attachment 1844652 hanks for looking

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a GXIII-8 to me. Probably could pick a better adjective, but what a smashing find!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool flask, I like the subject matter on it.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer flask!
I've never had luck taking good photos of bottles, it's like they are camera shy.
Sometimes holding the bottle up to the sun helps.
Kudos!
Carl

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all that checked in on this thread .Especially NJKLAGT He did as much digging and hunting as I did to be able to identify it It appears that the time frame for the sailor/banjo player flask I located on June 2020 26 would be 1845 to 1870 And it does have an open pontil . It is a first for me. From the sounds of it they don't come along all the often Before I started digging this spot I had a feeling it would have a lot of bottles I did not have in my collection . Well that has been the case And based on the broken pieces that I had seen the potential for that number to increase are pretty good. Hope to get back out sometime this week .And I might have a couple of helpers on a couple of those efforts Again thanks to all that offered info on my find IMG_0696.JPG

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a really excellent bottle! Congrats on it and keep it in a safe place!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful old bottle, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a really excellent bottle! Congrats on it and keep it in a safe place!!!
Yes a safe place I keep it where I can see it .Because I am still no sure it happened .I had only been digging about 10 minutes that day when I found it .With it dirty I was not sure what I had .But when I looked at it just a minute my brain was screaming that is old .I looked at the bottom and thought that is an open pontil.I had never seen one in person but I knew it had to be even with the dirt .I cleared a place to put it down climbed out of the spot I was in and got my camera. I wanted to get a picture before is disappeared I have spent the last 3 days trying to get a good picture of it but I can not gt any that really show the panels in detail .But it just looks old in a way that any other bottle I ever found before looks Thanks to all and your kind words

Last edited:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a pretty old bottle.Before I took up metal detecting in the late 60's I used to did at old farm dumps for bottles.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flask . Yes it is open pontiled and dates to the 1850’s . I don’t now about rarity or value. In general aqua is the most common color glass for this type of historical flask. Condition of yours shows much ground or water action. Many flasks like yours while very neat finds do not carry a lot of monetary value especially in less than mint condition. Wherever you found it hopefully will have more to find . The age of your bottle is a great sign . When I used to dig privies flasks similar to yours were not uncommon finds . Keep looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread