Valve handle, Barber, fork, from a quick dive trip

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
TM1.jpg TM2.jpg TM3.jpg TM4.jpg TM5.jpg TM7.jpg TM8.jpg TM9.jpg

I did a quick dive yesterday on a very old steamboat/hotel pier from the 1890's to the 1910's. The water was 10-15 feet with about 2 feet of visibility. In the past I've posted other finds that included gold and silver. its not the most productive site but enjoyable because its close and my wife and daughter can go and sit on the boat.
The barber came out first almost in the same condition as in the picture, I just had to rinse the thick silt off. The fork is from a restaurant that was in the hotel. People must have eaten on the end of the dock because I've found about 15 of these in the past. They are the size of an oyster fork and all of them are as sharp as needles from being worn down in the water. The valve handle was about a foot and a half deep. I was finding a few brass pipes some with brass valves that looked about 1 1/2", then as I went deeper this was the last thing at the bottom of the hole. its about 5 1/2"-6" in diameter and at least a half pound. My wife wanted it cleaned up so I tumbled it for a few hours in steel shot. It came out nice, not a mirror finish but clean and still looks 100 years old.

Upvote 13

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I always wanted to do some dive detecting. I can imagine its rather difficult to be using a detector with all the other equipment strapped on. I used to be certified so I really can imagine it! Congrats on that barber it's really nice! Thanks for sharing!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice. I always wanted to do some dive detecting. I can imagine its rather difficult to be using a detector with all the other equipment strapped on. I used to be certified so I really can imagine it! Congrats on that barber it's really nice! Thanks for sharing!

Just a detector, pinpointer and two small collection bags. You get used to it.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Barber is real nice. Congrats on some nice finds.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I like that Barber, and the valve. I have seen those on water spigots before.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang that's a good looking coin for a water find! must have been in anaerobic silt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread